News   Oct 09, 2024
 523     3 
News   Oct 09, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Oct 09, 2024
 483     0 

Krispy Kreme: the Rise and Fall

Congrats ... I think.

I ate one of their doughnuts once ... for about an hour after I had the most uncomfortable stomach pains ... very bizarre.

Several years ago they had a place at the big Loblaws at Don Mills and Eglinton with a large window where you could see the donuts being dropped into a big vat of hot oil. Unbelievably even then, they were trumpeting their "100% Vegetable Shortening!"

I can eat one no problem. More than that though is too much they're sooo sugaring.

Observer Walt, this time Krispy Kreme is reinventing itself into a café-style doughnut shop. CBC News article:

Krispy Kreme Undergoes Facelift

Last Updated: Thursday, November 18, 2010 | 4:37 PM ET
CBC News

Krispy Kreme is reinventing itself, and will officially launch a café-style doughnut shop in Toronto on Saturday.

To lure back customers, the North Carolina-based company is diversifying its menu, offering "signature" coffees and espresso drinks as well as bagels, muffins and croissants as part of its newest incarnation announced Thursday as a "neighbourhood café."

"Opening smaller shops that are closer to where our loyal fans live, work and play is very important to our franchise organization," said Chris Lindsay, franchisee, Krispy Kreme Canada.

"We're entering more urban markets," he told CBCNews.

The new Toronto shop, on Harbord Street, joins three existing stores under the old concept: in Mississauga, Ont., where the first Krispy Kreme in Canada opened in March 2001, and in Longueuil, Que., and Quebec City.

Nine years ago, when they opened in Canada, Krispy Kremes were largely located in suburban areas in large, walk-through factory-like stores that encouraged takeout purchases. But after heavy financial losses south of the border beginning in 2005, Krispy Kreme closed numerous stores in Canada.

Factory stores rethought

KremeKo Inc., which had exclusive franchise and licensing arrangements with Krispy Kreme Doughnut Corp., was placed under bankruptcy protection in the spring of 2005.

The old-style factory stores have been rethought, said Lindsay

"We tweaked that model and adapted it."

He said that that the larger suburban stores require a huge amount of capital — something the new café model will not need. It's a model that's increasingly showing up in cities like New York and on the U.S. West Coast.

The company plans to open more café-style stores across Canada in the coming year, said Lindsay. It is currently looking at expanding in Toronto, Montreal and Quebec City. It will also continue to re-evaluate its menu to compete with the likes of Starbucks, Second Cup and Tim Hortons.

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2010/11/18/krispy-kreme-comeback-canada.html?ref=rss#ixzz15yC1XvoH

Toronto Life article:

Krispy Kreme is Open For Business at Bathurst and Harbord

Krispy-Kreme.jpg

Kids from Central Tech coagulate around the new Krispy Kreme (Image: Fraser Abe)

Long, long ago, there was a magical presence in Toronto, gracing food courts and office buildings like gleaming, artery-clogging jewels. We’re talking, of course, about Krispy Kreme, the American doughnut chain that shuttered its downtown locations in 2004 when stocks tumbled. Well, sweet seekers who have had to make do with Cinnabon, stale KK treats from the gas station or long drives to Mavis Road can rejoice: the chain has opened a tiny shop at Bathurst and Harbord, right across from Central Technical School.

The new place is the fourth location in Canada; the others are in Mississauga, the south shore of Montreal and off Highway 73 near Quebec City. In other words, Toronto’s new Krispy Kreme is the only one downtown. Perhaps this is why the chain has attempted to class up the joint by changing the location’s name to Doughnut Café. It’s perfect: if the Harbord Room ever runs out of dessert, it can hawk the locally sourced treats from this little “café” down the road.

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/da...is-open-for-business-at-bathurst-and-harbord/

Congrats ... I think.

I ate one of their doughnuts once ... for about an hour after I had the most uncomfortable stomach pains ... very bizarre.

Congratulations khristopher for making it into the first dozen.

Thanks haha.

nfitz, maybe you're allergic to something they use in the ingredients. Otherwise, I'd have to say, it was probably unrelated.

Congrats ... I think.

probably too greasy for your system ...
there was an episode on marketplace that tested KK donuts, and they have 2x as much sugar and fat as Tim Horton's

They will need a better menu for this "Doughnut Cafe" to work. Check out any Tim's the majority of people are getting soup, sandwiches, bagels and wraps to go with their donuts. I like KK donuts i just find them way too rich i couldn't eat more than one doughnut in one sitting, I remember they used to pass out free donuts to the people in lines so after eating a few free donuts i would end up either leaving or just buying a coffee :D

Last edited by a moderator:
probably too greasy for your system ...
there was an episode on marketplace that tested KK donuts, and they have 2x as much sugar and fat as Tim Horton's

Well to put it into perspective, a regular glazed KK donut has 12 grams of fat. 3 chocolate chip cookies will have the same amount.

Tims may have less fat, but they also have less real ingredients.. I've read Tim's ingredient list for their muffins and only two or three items (out of more than a dozen) were real foods!

Back