News   Apr 30, 2024
 312     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1K     1 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

Drivers are increasingly ungovernable. I drive on occasion and I’m seeing more “Pittsburgh lefts” where a driver will rush the green light to make a left turn before oncoming traffic is able to clear the intersection.

Motorists are becoming increasingly aggressive and callous on Toronto streets and highways.
I started to see this in the past few years as well.

It would be colossally negligent to display a green arrow that conflicts with an active crosswalk. Doing so tells pedestrians that they have the right of way, while also telling the conflicting drivers that they have the right of way. That is a recipe for a collision and in this situation, the pedstrian will always be the one who gets injured or killed.

If you want an arrow and a walk light on at the same time, it needs to be a flashing yellow arrow, not a green arrow. That would indicate "proceed with caution" and the ordinary rules of an (unsignalized) intersection would implicitly apply, meaning that turning drivers need to yield to pedestrians.

The HTA does not explicitly assign right of way at traffic signals, it merely defines the directions they can proceed. The assumption is that traffic engineers have designed the signal phasing such that people can proceed safely according to their driver's training. Not everything that you are tested on in the G1 test is a law. Engineers also need to take into account that people do not drive based on the technical wording of the HTA, they drive based on their previous experience with roads in Ontario:

Specifically, drivers are explicitly instructed that a green arrow tells them that conflicting traffic will face a red light. The HTA can't tell people to turn blindly because even with the right-of-way a driver entering the intersection must yield to traffic already legally in the intersection (e.g. an elderly pedestrian who is still crossing from the previous pedestrian phase).

https://www.ontario.ca/document/official-mto-drivers-handbook/traffic-lights
View attachment 555538

Installing a green arrow that conflicts with an active crosswalk would be grosslly negligent and there's no point even discussing it because no engineer in Ontario would ever sign off on such a dangerous combination of indications.

Very thorough answer, thank you for explaining. What would you recommend for King St that would also apply to the HTA?

To me it sounds like an always red light would work well (with only the bike and transit signals alternating green and red) and then only activate the solid green traffic light during hours in which deliveries and taxi's can go through.

In all honesty, I get why taxis and deliveries would like access, but it would make so much more sense to just pedestrianize at least part of King with just the streetcars going down the middle. Or even just every other block, so its guaranteed that no cars can go straight. If other cities can have pedestrian malls with streetcars, I dont see why we cant either.

Very thorough answer, thank you for explaining. What would you recommend for King St that would also apply to the HTA?

To me it sounds like an always red light would work well (with only the bike and transit signals alternating green and red) and then only activate the solid green traffic light during hours in which deliveries and taxi's can go through.

In all honesty, I get why taxis and deliveries would like access, but it would make so much more sense to just pedestrianize at least part of King with just the streetcars going down the middle. Or even just every other block, so its guaranteed that no cars can go straight. If other cities can have pedestrian malls with streetcars, I dont see why we cant either.
Yes, there does need to be some access for deliveries but having complex rules which need more and more signage are simply confusing. King should be the same 24/7

I agree that just showing red all day along King is fine. In the short term (within the HTA) I'd make a few minor adjustments:

- remove one of the bicycle signal heads
- remove the Bicycle Signal sign
- relocate the remaining bicycle signal head lower down near the pedestrian head (some intersections already have this)
- have the bicycle signal display the same thing as the transit signal
- install a red light camera
- at the few intersections where there is a significant volume of legal traffic, use the existing intersection cameras to only trigger the right turn arrow if there are more than 2 cars waiting. This avoids unnecessary pedestrian delay.
- at the other intersections where there's a right turn phase, remove the right turn phase from the normal cycle. Streetcars can still trigger the right turn phase to get additional green time after the end of the pedestrian count down.

In the longer term we desperately need some HTA updates to allow us to use white transit signals instead of red/amber/green signals.

The most important addition is diagonal white bars to represent turns. Those could replace the vertical white bars currently used in Toronto to represent transit turns, which frees up the vertical bar to represent a straight through movement such as on King. It could be also installed as a 4th aspect on signals along transit routes to allow buses to proceed straight during the Leading Pedestrian Interval.

It would also be good to have the option of horizontal bars instead of yellow and red lights on transit signal heads. There should be a line in the HTA that allows municipalities to authorize specific vehicles to also use the transit signal when necessary, such as garbage trucks and snowplows. That would avoid the need to write "and authorized vehicles" on signs. With these changes, the Transit Signal sign would no longer be required.

The requirement to have two signal heads should be waived for transit signals, or at least provide an exemption that allows the secondary head to be on the near side, like the exemption was added for bicycle signals in 2016.

Once the HTA is updated and all existing vertical bars in Toronto are changed to diagonal bars, the Transit Signal signs on King could be either removed entirely (replaced with just a single white bar above the red light), or one head could remain with white bar aspects and the Transit Signal sign removed.

Will the red light cameras be able to ticket people turning left?
Yes. It is illegal to proceed straight or left during a red light.

Drivers are increasingly ungovernable. I drive on occasion and I’m seeing more “Pittsburgh lefts” where a driver will rush the green light to make a left turn before oncoming traffic is able to clear the intersection.

Motorists are becoming increasingly aggressive and callous on Toronto streets and highways.
I suspect that's because of the leading pedestrian intervals that creates a 10+ second intergreen time for motor traffic. All motor traffic is stopped for several seconds before oncoming traffic gets a green, so those illegal lefts just need to dodge the pedestrians who have a walk light.

That move can save a ton of time for someone turning left and it doesn't even endanger the driver, it only endangers others (pedestrians). So it's an attractive option for people without a conscience. Same for people running the end of red lights - with leading pedestrian intervals they only endanger pedestrians and not themselves.

The solution is to change the order or signal phases such that the leading pedestrian interval is during the clearance time of another movement (such as a lagging left turn phase). That way turning left ahead of traffic would endanger the driver making the illegal move, discouraging them from doing it.

I think the best solution would be sensors to detect how many cars want to turn right and give them a dedicated right turn window without pedestrian conflict. Then a red light at all other times.

The traffic wardens there now often do this by holding up pedestrians at the beginning or end of greens to let a few cars through.

I think the best solution would be sensors to detect how many cars want to turn right and give them a dedicated right turn window without pedestrian conflict. Then a red light at all other times.

The traffic wardens there now often do this by holding up pedestrians at the beginning or end of greens to let a few cars through.
They already have cameras at most (all?) signals on King in the priority area that are used count movements (including illegal movements). Assuming they can see a couple car lengths past the stop line, they can use the existing cameras to call and extend the right turn arrow, in which case they don't even need any new sensors

Because the current configuration is a temporary installation. The curb lane is just over 3 metres wide, so if you put in a 1.5m bike lane there's only 1.5 m left over for patios, loading zones or whatever else the city wanted to put in that space, and it's too narrow for any of those things.

When the street gets reconstructed, it would become possible to shift the curb line such that the sidewalk is consistently widened by 1.5m (which is actually useful) and some areas have a mountable curb such that trucks can load on the side of the road in a designated loading bay that acts as a sidewalk extension when not in use. That would leave space for a bike lane.

Example of a loading bay that acts as part of the sidewalk when not in use:
View attachment 555389

Currently the absence of a bike lane is terrible for streetcar operations because there's no way for a streetcar to overtake a bicycle. They just get stuck behind them, crawling along at 16 km/h or so. There are a ton of destinations on King Street, so there will always be people cycling on King, regardless of the bike lanes on Richmond and Adelaide. And as @reinventingthewheel mentioned, the absence of significant volumes of motor traffic on King makes it an inherently safer bike route than Richmond/Adelaide where a huge number of cars and trucks need to turn across the bike lane.
Get rid of the patios, and move loading to nights only.

Get rid of the patios, and move loading to nights only.
Most businesses on King which rely on street deliveries are not open 24/7 - it is unreasonable to expect them to be. The patios are on the street now (in the former parking lane) because the sidewalks are so narrow - the plan once the street is rebuilt is to widen the sidewalks so they can accommodate pedestrians and patios and to narrow the road.

the plan once the street is rebuilt is to widen the sidewalks so they can accommodate pedestrians and patios and to narrow the road.
I haven't seen a diagram to illustrate this, so it's possible I may be talking out of my ass - but wouldn't this force delivery trucks to park in the streetcar tracks, seeing as the patios that do exist currently are absolutely not small?

I haven't seen a diagram to illustrate this, so it's possible I may be talking out of my ass - but wouldn't this force delivery trucks to park in the streetcar tracks, seeing as the patios that do exist currently are absolutely not small?
I think I heard your ass......There would, obviously, be loading zones. :->

Reactions: T3G
You aren't forced to leave your vehicle in a live traffic lane. You have to park further, load up a dolly and walk.

Back