News   Jul 15, 2024
 782     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 925     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 640     0 

King-Spadina East Park

I find it incredibly galling that Joe Cressy's apparent #1 priority in this ward was this park who's necessity is debatable, rather than the obvious disaster that are traffic on Spadina and Bathurst (the latter of which destroys the reliability of 511 streetcar line). This guys' priorities are completely backwards and the next election can't happen too soon.

Joe Cressy does not work in the Planning or Transportation departments and, as such, has a limited ability to influence traffic planning.

Also, take a look at what you're saying: "I want this guy out of office because he wants to build a new public park in a rapidly intensifying area." Come on.

Joe Cressy does not work in the Planning or Transportation departments and, as such, has a limited ability to influence traffic planning.

Also, take a look at what you're saying: "I want this guy out of office because he wants to build a new public park in a rapidly intensifying area." Come on.

Well there are other reasons as well. But he seems to have a single-mindedness about him and there are issues in the Ward that he just doesn't put any effort into solving (the mobility issue being the main one in my mind).

Again, if by mobility you mean "the ease with which people in his ward travel via different modes of transportation", he has very limited ability to influence that. Perhaps you caught the transit debate yesterday at Council.

Despite those realities, he fought quite hard for the Bloor bike lanes pilot.

The other day I got stuck in terrible traffic on the Gardner when I took the GO bus. I want every councillor whose ward touches the Gardiner to be booted out of office!

The other day I got stuck in terrible traffic on the Gardner when I took the GO bus. I want every councillor whose ward touches the Gardiner to be booted out of office!

That's also not how Council works, and given that we have people like Mammo and Holyday sitting in our chamber, we should be glad it is the way it is.

I find it incredibly galling that Joe Cressy's apparent #1 priority in this ward was this park who's necessity is debatable, rather than the obvious disaster that are traffic on Spadina and Bathurst (the latter of which destroys the reliability of 511 streetcar line). This guys' priorities are completely backwards and the next election can't happen too soon.
That is a particularly stupid comment and having a park and fixing traffic problems are completely unrelated. The King-Spadina area is short of parks, the City has a fund (that gets $$ from the obligatory Parks Levies paid by developers). He is suggesting using some of this money to build a park. The money cannot be used to fund other things. Why do you think Cressy cannot have multiple priorities? How exactly can he (or anyone) solve the traffic problems on Spadina - excerpt by reducing traffic with tolls and a great deal of additional transit. I suspect you would not much like that either.

The sad thing is that this parking lot plot is tiny and it's a parkette at best. At worst it will be the place where dogs go to do their business. The city has tens of millions in parks money. Buy up the entire block and make it a decent small park. The parking lot is too tiny for such a dense neighbourhood.

The sad thing is that this parking lot plot is tiny and it's a parkette at best. At worst it will be the place where dogs go to do their business. The city has tens of millions in parks money. Buy up the entire block and make it a decent small park. The parking lot is too tiny for such a dense neighbourhood.

It'd be interesting to see how much this lot is priced for - it would be nice to include the 2s structures to the west, but not going to happen. There is a decent 4/5s warehouse type building east of the site - buying and tearing it down is a non-starter.

AoD

The city could also move the fire station to other another city owned property and double the size of the park, spanning from Richmond to Adelaide, serving all the new condos sprouting along Adelaide and nearby.

That would be a great idea. We need bigger parks downtown. The city has the money so not sure why they don't use it.

The city could also move the fire station to other another city owned property and double the size of the park, spanning from Richmond to Adelaide, serving all the new condos sprouting along Adelaide and nearby.

If money is no object - maybe push the majority of the structure underground, save access routes.

AoD

Does anyone know how a park here would affect redevelopment opportunities for the buildings fronting John? Basically, is it less likely that the Office Pub will become the front door to a condo?

I'd love to see this be like Washington Square in New York: outdoor furniture with chess board tables, a great fountain, trees. I'd love to see the parking lot at Queen and Peter become something like this. Instead a Mountain Equipment Co-op is planned for that site.

I don't know what the actual amount of money available is, but wouldn't an entire block of land at King and Spadina cost more than tens of millions of dollars?

Back