2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 617     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Kensington Market

http://torontoist.com/2009/04/kensington_markets_migratory_art_ga.php

Kensington Market's Migratory Art Gallery

Faye Mullen led us into the smaller of the two rooms that together make up minnow & bass gallery, a self-described "migratory" art space she opened on March 20 on the southern fringe of Kensington Market, at the eastern corner of the intersection of Dundas Street and Augusta Avenue.

She offered us the tiny space's one and only rickety wooden chair and sat contentedly on the floor (still paint-spattered from the recent renovation), smiling. She seemed almost to relax into these smiles, as if happiness were simply her natural state. Most people would have had a hard time striking this kind of perfect repose while sitting on hard concrete in front of a total stranger in a place that, until a few weeks ago, was a vacant storefront. Faye, meanwhile, didn't seem to be having any difficulty. To be fair, she'd just had plenty of practice.

When we spoke to her this past Sunday, Faye, a sculptress and performance artist, had recently finished living in her still-bare gallery non-stop for a full week as part of her OCAD thesis project, titled the extermities, of the series all or nothing: when I grow up. She watched strangers pass by the shop's windows, and they in turn watched her. Why did she do it? "To know what it's like to be a gallery," she said. "To know its moods."

It couldn't have been easy. Minnow & bass is not the type of plush, hermetically sealed place where fine art ordinarily goes to live (okay, so they're not all perfectly sealed). In fact, from a distance, it doesn't really look like much of anything at all. It's just a few square feet of commercial space on the borderline between Chinatown and Kensington Market, on a two-month lease. After those two months are up, so is the gallery's stay in its current location.

"That's the type of work I do," said Faye. "It's sort of ephemeral. You can't revisit it in the same way again."

Kensington Market is a neighbourhood that knows a lot about ephemerality. The 1999 conversion of the former George Brown College buildings on Baldwin Street into condos might be the single biggest change still fresh in the neighbourhood's collective memory, but a walk through the Market in April 2009 makes it obvious that the transformation is ongoing. The produce stores and bric-a-brac shacks that dominate the heart of Kensington are beginning to die of old age, and they're steadily being replaced by a new breed of business. (This was most evident during the great Starbucks scare of '08.) There are "for lease" signs all up and down Augusta Avenue. There's even one in the window of minnow & bass, the ultimate signal of its temporary status.

Faye, like so many other business owners in the area, has one foot out the door. The difference is that this was always her intention. She needed an affordable gallery space in which to stage her thesis, and two months was the absolute shortest lease the storefront's owner would allow.

"This hopefully won't be the last," Faye told us, when we asked her if the gallery would move to another place at the expiration of its lease. Where will minnow & bass go next? "Different parts of the city," said Faye. "Different storefronts that need help."

The storefront at Dundas and Augusta was in need of help. A year and a half ago it was a little corner shop called MILK STORE (it was capitalized like that on the sign). You wouldn't have wanted to buy any actual milk from MILK STORE. At least not without checking the expiration date first. When MILK STORE's dubious dairy and dusty chewing gum–based business model finally proved not to be a viable one, MILK STORE shuttered up for good. It was replaced, shortly afterward, by DJ's Clothing Store, whose owners made the questionable decision to paint the entire interior of the place the color of grimy traffic cones. They went out of business late last year.

The store sat empty for a few months. During that time, some graffiti artist, either incredibly hopeful or with an incredible sense of irony, wrote the word "patience" in orange letters below one of the shop's south-facing windows. In March, patience was rewarded: that's when Faye stepped in.

On the day we visited minnow & bass, the gallery's next art installation was underway. Irene Loughlin (pictured), another performance artist, was busy pulling found items (from her mother's Hamilton basement) out of a bag and arranging them strategically throughout the space, in preparation for a day-long piece dealing with notions of diaspora. The dirty-traffic-cone walls were gone. Faye and her helpers had rolled over all of it with eggshell white. "Everything was done really poorly when it was worked on," she told us.

Seeing how bright and beautiful the space had become and how much interest it was bringing to the corner (Irene, in a green dress, had begun step dancing in piles of black soil, while passers-by stopped at the windows to gawk), it was beginning to feel difficult to relinquish minnow & bass. We were starting not to want to see it go. Not an ideal state of mind for Kensington Market, where only the "for lease" signs stay the same.

minnow & bass gallery will continue to operate in its current location (594 Dundas Street West) until May 11, 2009. Until then, it's open from Thursday to Sunday, 12 to 7(ish). This week's installations are Rain by Tim Doiron and Strangers and Duets, a curated, photo-based show. See the gallery's Facebook group ("minnow & bass") for details on possible future locations.

Minnow and Bass really brightens up this intersection. I always thought this corner had massive potential. Hopefully it's not short lived!

A slightly blurry shot I took yesterday (12 April 2009) demonstrating the effect a clean facade has on the area:

dsc00141u.jpg

Last edited:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20090422.SRGREENCONDOSART1951/TPStory/National

Condo firms aim to build momentum

Toronto is a leader in large, environmentally conscious residential buildings, but the business model should work anywhere, as people look to pinch pennies in a downturn, said Tom Rand, who is spending about $3-million developing an abandoned building in the trendy Kensington Market neighbourhood into a state-of-the-art environmentally friendly hotel, called Planet Traveler.

"I don't think the economic downturn makes this less appealing. Everybody's hurting. But if a project has an economic argument, it will go on," he said.

With oil at low prices, and no carbon regulation in place, the cost savings for green buildings aren't as high as they will be down the road, he said. But one day, the industry will be put to the test, and true green buildings will save their owners and occupants money, whereas "greenwashed" buildings will be exposed as hype, predicts Mr. Rand.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...li-to-open-location-in-kensington-market.aspx

Famed Caplansky's deli to open location in Kensington Market

By Kathryn Blaze Carlson, National Post

Two distant generations of a Toronto family will soon interesect at the Kensington Market corner of Brunswick and College streets, where Zane Caplansky plans to open his second Jewish deli location beside what was once his great-grandfather’s hardware shop.

The new Caplansky’s Deli, scheduled to open in July, will be the sole kosher-style deli in what used to be Toronto’s Jewish Market.

“There’s very little evidence left of the vibrant Jewish community that once lived downtown,” said Mr. Caplansky, who opened his first deli above the Monarch Tavern in Little Italy last year. “This is an area that was once populated by tons of delis, but they’ve since moved north or closed. I realize the history that’s here, I know who came before me.”

Caplansky’s Deli will not be the only modern addition to the short list of restaurants serving Jewish fare in the area. Nearby is Freetimes Cafe, which began serving an authentic dairy and fish Sunday buffet more than 13 years ago.

“It was a personal statement for me to bring Jewish food back to what used to be the Jewish area,” said Freetimes owner Judy Perly, adding that last Sunday’s brunch attracted roughly 200 people, most of whom came from the northern parts of the city. “I wanted to recreate my memories of Sunday’s at my grandmother’s.”

Mr. Caplansky said his childhood also inspired his decision to open a deli into the old market, pointing to memories with his great-grandfathers, one of whom was among the first kosher butchers in Toronto and inspired the name of his signature meal, the Fresser Sandwich — “fresser” is yiddish for glutton.

“My papa on my mother’s side used to hire me to help out in the factory in the ‘shmata district,’ said Mr. Caplansky. “After work, he used to take me to Switzer’s deli. Bernice was always our waitress and I always had a corned beef sandwich, fries, and cream soda,” he said.

Mr. Caplansky said his new menu will have a few additions, including his mother’s chopped liver and pickles made in-house.

He hasn’t decided whether he’ll keep the Monarch location, adding that owning two restaurants was never a dream of his and that the College Street location, which will feature live performances, will require his full attention.

And so, riding the high of this week’s laudatory ad hoc review by Gourmet Magazine editor Ruth Reichl — she popped into the eatery with Post columnist Bonnie Stern and pronounced on Twitter she had eaten “the single most decadent knish ever made” — Mr. Caplansky said he is excited to “Jewify” what used to be Rosio Bakery Cafe and turn it into the old market’s newest Jewish deli.

“Truthfully, I didn’t get into this to be a pioneer or for any political reasons,” said Mr. Caplansky. “But I do feel extremely honoured to be part of bringing a little piece of Jewish culture back to where it once thrived."

http://www.savethedeli.com/

Last edited:
http://www.nationalpost.com/life/story.html?id=1577269

Marketing the market

Adam McDowell, National Post

A Monopoly board was an appropriate theme for a flyer announcing a meeting of the Kensington Market Action Committee earlier this week. As in a game of Monopoly, how Kensington's future will unfold depends a little on chance and a lot on who ends up renting what.

At the meeting in the Kensington Market Lofts' basement Monday night, local resident Mielle Chandler couldn't sit still through the reading out of financial details. She put up her hand and started talking about gentrification, about how the neighbourhood had tidied up over her 10 years of living there - the Kensington in her mind was being erased.

"It's scuzzy," she said to scattered applause, "and I like it."

Gentrification, nodded outgoing KMAC president Chris De Vita, "is a dirty word around here."

The word has been on Kensingtonians' lips even more than coffee lately. Local business owners report that the area's major landowners, a handful of whom reputedly hold a virtual monopoly, are dramatically increasing their rents and holding out for tenants with a proven track record - meaning, some fear, chain stores over quirky mom-and-pop shops.

Starbucks' rumoured interest in renting a space in the market last fall - 234 Augusta Ave., the former J & J Fruit Market - touched off media attention and local action, including signs stuck to the windows reading "We ♥ our local cafés" and warning "Kensington does not welcome multinational corporations."

It's telling that the Starbucks rental didn't go through.

Maybe residents ought to lay off the caffeine and relax. There are reasons to believe the dreaded transition from chaotic, motley haven for immigrants and eccentrics to Yorkville-esque yuppie den will never happen, or at least not soon.

First, it seems people say they're concerned about "gentrification" when what they're mostly worried about is chain stores coming into the market. But franchises haven't arrived en masse yet.

There is some foundation for that fear in the ambitions of Philip Pick, a real estate agent whose Esbin Realty signs have popped up throughout the neighbourhood.

"Nothing stays the same. It changes," Pick says. "The value of real estate has gone up. This is the heart of downtown Toronto."

Pick sees it as his responsibility to find the most stable tenants possible for his client landlords, and he's actively seeking familiar names - what he calls "national tenants."

However, apart from the Cobs Bread on Baldwin, chains remain a hypothetical possibility. Pick has been unsuccessful in leading his desired tenants into Kensington. Established chains could be turned off by its sloppy look and wonky,

delivery-hindering alleys, and the spraypainting, drug-taking habits of some of the locals.

Pick confirms Starbucks was interested in moving into the neighbourhood, but got nervous about the potential for conflict. "With all the negative press and everything, they got scared away."

Even if a little green or red box does show up on the Kensington game board in the form of a Sobeys or a Shoppers Drug Mart (two companies Pick mentions in conversation), it won't be the instant death of the market as we know it.

It's worth noting the Second Cup location at Baldwin and Kensington, which prompted much hand-wringing in the late 1980s, went out of business, having been replaced long ago by the independent Kensington Café.

In reality, Pick has rented to purveyors of gentrification of a more locally brewed variety, who seem able to set up without opposition.

Take Fada Scooters, which opened last week at 199 Augusta Ave. The dealership of new and vintage scooters, will presumably cater to young professionals and the middle class - the gentry, by definition. Yet partners Jason Peterson and Troy Hayward have been welcomed by those who would have shunned a chain store.

"Before we moved in here, we went around and talked to all the businesses," Hayward says. "We want to fit in here. When you're in the market, you want to be part of the market."

Second, the upscale changes to Kensington have been almost entirely confined to Augusta Avenue, which was never the heart of the area to begin with. Baldwin Street and Kensington Avenue look mostly as they did 10 years ago. Bungalow, Torito Tapas Bar and other yuppie-friendly businesses occupy Augusta, and to be frank, have done the street much good.

Third, some of the changes happening in Kensington are deliberate. For example, KMAC volunteers have been working to erect welcome signs at key entrances to the neighbourhood. As of May 18, visitors will be guided to Kensington's 240 businesses by info maps resembling the signs at the Eaton Centre (as one resident noted).

A step away from scuzziness? Yes. Good for business? Probably.

Fourth, change has never really hurt Kensington before. Change may be the neighbourhood's lone constant.

An article in the Toronto Star noted that "property values have more than doubled in the past few years" and warned that franchises may creep into the market soon, pushing out immigrant-run businesses that had formed the market's backbone. That story ran on July 25, 1988.

Everyone seems to acknowledge that Kensington has changed before and it will continue to evolve - and furthermore, that some of that change will be uncontroversial.

"Kensington was just food. It was an immigrant market when factory workers lived downtown," Pick notes. In the 1980s, basement abbatoirs were as characteristic of the market as fruit stands. "Twenty-five years ago, there were live chickens on the street. I don't see anybody lamenting that."

Even in Pick's wildest dreams, Kensington would look like Queen Street, west of Bathurst. "There's still going to be fruit markets there, the cheese store will still be there. It's a unique, trendy part of town. It's got a unique vibe. I happen to like it. I don't want to ruin anything."

Mielle Chandler knows change is inevitable, too. What she likes about Kensington is that "it isn't sanitized the way much of urban North America is sanitized." Yet she finds herself shopping at places that might be seen as gentrifying the market, such as organic food market Essence of Life. "I say this knowing that I'm part of the problem."

Perhaps what makes Kensington Kensington is that it can change and stay the same.

Broadway and Baltic Avenue manage to coexist on a Monopoly board, and the market has found room for people who identify as Jewish, Jamaican, Portuguese, WASP, Asian and none of the above. Kensington accommodates punks and hippies, young and old, poor and working-class - and now professionals, just as Monopoly's thimble and wheelbarrow live peacefully with the top hat.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...n-market-s-newest-art-space-jamie-s-area.aspx

Kensington Market's newest art space, Jamie's Area

By Tabassum Siddiqui. National Post

There’s a new space in Kensington Market devoted to all things artistic — just don’t call it a gallery. Jamie’s Area, a nondescript basement apartment-cum-storefront at 193 Augusta Ave., is the blank canvas for young curators Bonny Poon and Daniel Vila to bring together local artists and art forms in a unique mash-up of styles and purposes, from more traditional exhibits to idiosyncratic nightly events that can involve music, readings and even cooking.

Already ensconced within the city’s art scene (Poon works at the Power Plant gallery and makes her own art, while Vila plays in local band Bush League and runs underground music series Extermination Music Night), Poon, 22, and Vila, 27, decided to join forces to create a space that set out to subvert the usual staid gallery setting.

The space takes its name from resident Jamie Shannon, who offered the room up to Poon last December when he moved to Montreal to work on a film shoot. She leaped at the chance to turn the narrow, low-ceilinged spot into a hub for emerging artists and interdisciplinary events, and brought Vila on board as co-curator.
“When you enter any kind of space, you automatically try to form a reading of it,†Poon notes. “To our advantage, when you enter Jamie’s Area, it’s not immediately apparent what kind of activities might happen there.â€

While Poon and Vila easily bat around complex art terms in conversation, and have a clear appreciation for art history, they recognize that not everyone who drops by Jamie’s Area will understand “relational aesthetics†— what’s more important to them is building bridges between scenes and attracting those who might not otherwise always set foot in a traditional gallery.

In recent months, they’ve filled the space, which can hold around 100, strictly through word of mouth for a wide array of events that are frequently updated on their website (jamiesarea.org) and Facebook page.

“We kind of become the right venue for sort of every event. And that’s important, too — everything is always changing around, like the actual set-up or whatever — and that’s all part of it,†Poon explains.

Upcoming events include a speakers’ symposium on universal themes (this month’s event takes place at 8 p.m. on May 13, on the topic of death), a YouTube movie night of themed clips curated by various artists, and “Movies That Are Wrong†screenings of transgressive European flicks.

The duo exchange sly grins as they reveal a cheeky forthcoming installation they’re dubbing Starbucks in Kensington, where Jamie’s Area will be converted “as faithfully as possible†into a facsimile of the chain coffeeshop during the market’s popular Pedestrian Sundays.

“That can be interpreted through a multitude of lenses,†Vila points out, “because you can look at it in terms of what it means to have a corporation open up an establishment in an area like this, but more interestingly, you can look at it in terms of the art gallery itself as a gentrifier.â€

Positioning Jamie’s Area as more of a general idea than a physical gallery may actually help guarantee its existence in the long run, Poon notes — she’s off to Frankfurt in the fall to study art, but jokes with Vila that perhaps she could start a satellite branch of the space out there, or they could even move the entire thing online eventually.

“The kind of space we’ve generated thus far not actively dependent on the physical space,†she says. “So even if we didn’t have that space anymore, it can still keep going.â€

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/631984

Kensington Market exhibit stirs controversy among Jews
Koffler Centre condemns Reena Katz's stand on Israel-Palestinian conflict, but funds her show

May 10, 2009
VANESSA LU
TO STAR

The long-standing tensions within Toronto's Jewish community about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict have flared up again, this time over an art installation set to debut next week.

The Koffler Centre for the Arts announced Friday it was withdrawing its association from "each hand as they are called" – an exhibit about life in Kensington Market – because of artist Reena Katz's political statements.

Katz, 33, has been affiliated with Israeli Apartheid Week, a controversial international movement on university campuses that has been criticized for being anti-Israel.

"I'm shocked. I'm disgusted," said the visual and sound artist, who believes this is a case of blacklisting. "What they claim that I have said is not at all what I've said."

In an announcement posted on its website, the Koffler Centre said it only recently learned of Katz's public support and association with Israeli Apartheid Week.

"As a Jewish cultural institution, an agency of UJA Federation of Greater Toronto, the Koffler Centre of the Arts will not associate with an artist who publicly advocates the extinction of Israel as a Jewish state," the statement said. "The Koffler considers the existence and well-being of Israel as a Jewish state to be one of its core values."

Katz said the sudden decision is a surprise.

"I have said that I'm an anti-Zionist Jew. So they are conflating the state of Israel with Zionism," she said in an interview. "I'm speaking to an ideology when I speak about Zionism. They're speaking about a Jewish state."

She added the group's goal is not to delegitimize Israel; rather the goal is justice and human rights for Palestinians.

While the Koffler Centre is "disassociating itself from the artist," and will not promote the exhibition on its website or through any other advertising, it is allowing the exhibition – which is part of the Luminato festival in June – to continue.

Tiana Koffler Boyman, chair of the centre's board of directors, yesterday referred questions to executive director Lori Starr, who could not be reached for comment. Other officials were not available because of the Sabbath yesterday.

Katz, who has asked for a meeting with the board to explain her views, said the irony is this art exhibition has no political overtures.

"It is a(n) homage to my Jewish roots and the Jewish roots of Kensington Market," she said, adding $20,000 in funding from the Koffler Centre is expected to continue. "What they're saying, they can't support me, but they support the project."

It will feature a series of live performances that highlight the Yiddish language as well as recognition of the market's role in the history of organized labour in the 1930s. It showcases how the downtown neighbourhood is an intersection for cultures and ideas.

As part of Luminato, Katz is bringing together Grade 8 students from Ryerson Community School and Jewish seniors from Terraces of Baycrest, who will be involved in a day of playing mah-jong to highlight the Chinese roots of the tile game that became a feature in Jewish life.

"For me, I'm using the game as metaphor for memory and social change and social history," said Katz, who lived in the neighbourhood during her teenage years and early 20s, where she first came out as gay.

Katz said her political views were raised over a year ago with Koffler Centre officials, who said they were comfortable with the project, especially since it has nothing to do with the Palestinian debate.

Katz, who grew up in Toronto, started taking violin lessons at the Koffler Centre when she was 11.

"That was my first connection to them. I was there for eight years," she said.

Kensington Market hasn't had a decent beef knish place since Switzer's left many years ago. So this is good news for a Jewish boy who loves his beef knishes!

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...li-to-open-location-in-kensington-market.aspx

Famed Caplansky's deli to open location in Kensington Market

By Kathryn Blaze Carlson, National Post

Two distant generations of a Toronto family will soon interesect at the Kensington Market corner of Brunswick and College streets, where Zane Caplansky plans to open his second Jewish deli location beside what was once his great-grandfather’s hardware shop.

The new Caplansky’s Deli, scheduled to open in July, will be the sole kosher-style deli in what used to be Toronto’s Jewish Market.

“There’s very little evidence left of the vibrant Jewish community that once lived downtown,†said Mr. Caplansky, who opened his first deli above the Monarch Tavern in Little Italy last year. “This is an area that was once populated by tons of delis, but they’ve since moved north or closed. I realize the history that’s here, I know who came before me.â€

Caplansky’s Deli will not be the only modern addition to the short list of restaurants serving Jewish fare in the area. Nearby is Freetimes Cafe, which began serving an authentic dairy and fish Sunday buffet more than 13 years ago.

“It was a personal statement for me to bring Jewish food back to what used to be the Jewish area,†said Freetimes owner Judy Perly, adding that last Sunday’s brunch attracted roughly 200 people, most of whom came from the northern parts of the city. “I wanted to recreate my memories of Sunday’s at my grandmother’s.â€

Mr. Caplansky said his childhood also inspired his decision to open a deli into the old market, pointing to memories with his great-grandfathers, one of whom was among the first kosher butchers in Toronto and inspired the name of his signature meal, the Fresser Sandwich — “fresser†is yiddish for glutton.

“My papa on my mother’s side used to hire me to help out in the factory in the ‘shmata district,’ said Mr. Caplansky. “After work, he used to take me to Switzer’s deli. Bernice was always our waitress and I always had a corned beef sandwich, fries, and cream soda,†he said.

Mr. Caplansky said his new menu will have a few additions, including his mother’s chopped liver and pickles made in-house.

He hasn’t decided whether he’ll keep the Monarch location, adding that owning two restaurants was never a dream of his and that the College Street location, which will feature live performances, will require his full attention.

And so, riding the high of this week’s laudatory ad hoc review by Gourmet Magazine editor Ruth Reichl — she popped into the eatery with Post columnist Bonnie Stern and pronounced on Twitter she had eaten “the single most decadent knish ever made†— Mr. Caplansky said he is excited to “Jewify†what used to be Rosio Bakery Cafe and turn it into the old market’s newest Jewish deli.

“Truthfully, I didn’t get into this to be a pioneer or for any political reasons,†said Mr. Caplansky. “But I do feel extremely honoured to be part of bringing a little piece of Jewish culture back to where it once thrived."

I went over to Little Italy today, to try out Caplansky's smoked meat and a beef knish. After living in Montreal for 10 years I've developed a deep appreciation for Schwartz's smoked meat sandwiches and I've been eating beef Knishes since the days when Spadina was full of great Jewish delis, so I was quite excited to hear about this place from UT.

As soon as I got home I opened the smoked meat and knish and I knew instantly, from the smell, and look, this was going to be a huge disappointment. After just one bite, my suspicions were confirmed. It kinda tasted like beef jerky, with that sweet, sickening, BBQ taste and nothing at all like Schwartz's smoked meat. It wasn't spicy or flavourful at all. It left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Then I tried the beef knish and again, that was not what I expected. It didn't look or taste like any knish I've ever had. It was more like a pastry or a beef role. The gravy was really nasty, with the smoked meat and that BBQ taste in the gravy. Both the smoked meat and the knish were a HUGE disappointment. I guess I will have to travel all the way to Montreal to get my smoked meat fix.

Fortunately, St. Lawrence Market has decent beef knishes at the Russian deli on the bottom floor. (and it's not even Jewish!!!) Why is it back in the 70's Toronto had so many great restaurants and stores where you could buy great Jewish food, and now, it's hard to find one? Why can't this city make good smoked meat? I wish Toronto had a Schwartze's Deli. This has got me really longing for Montreal.

I thought the building that Caplansky's is in, was pretty cool.
may1109014.jpg

By torontovibe, shot with DSC-N1 at 2009-05-11

Torontovibe: I totally agree! Cap's is a huge disappointment if you're used to Schwartz's moist peppery chunks of awesomeness. Cap's is like dumping a bottle of chipotle bbq sauce on some stewing beef, mashing it up and calling it smoked meat. Yeah, it's smoked, but it actually tastes like poo.:p

Do they sell Cel-Ray? A true Jewish deli ain't no good if they don't serve Cel-Ray

It's pop, they sell it at some of those places along Eglinton West like Tony's, Nortown as well iirc.

From jessamyn http://www.flickr.com/photos/iamthebestartist/

3355842000_6bf187823c.jpg

It tastes good!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cel-Ray

"Dr Brown's Cel-Ray soda is a soft drink with a celery flavor. It is fairly easy to find in New York City and in South Florida. Outside the New York City region, it is rather obscure but can sometimes be found at Jewish delicatessens and restaurants. In addition, it can be found at certain grocers that specialize in American food in Israel, and other specialty grocers.

The flavor is reminiscent of ginger ale, but with a more pronounced celery flavor that is more pungent or peppery, derived from celery seed extract.

The diet version of Cel-Ray soda has been discontinued."

Last edited:

Back