News   Jun 07, 2024
 344     1 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 357     0 

Kensington Market

Quote from the above blogTO posting:

i just don't want there to be another fire in the market...hope the neighbours have insurance.

Posted by: shamez at September 26, 2008 3:33 AM

Now there's an inflammatory comment.

I think it's attitudes like Shamez's that ruin Kensington Market.

The people at Starbucks should back off on the Kensington Market plans - It's just going to be a lot of trouble and bad PR for them and ultimately I don't think the people there will stand for it.

The place will need to be designed like an American embassy in Pakistan or its going to get fire bombed.

Maybe the landowners down there should start off small - with a Tim Hortons or Second Cup and work it from there. They can work their way up to a Starbucks and then they can knock out the west side of Augusta for the Walmart Supercenter.

I think it's attitudes like Shamez's that ruin Kensington Market.

Attitudes and acts...

As "Mr. Pedestrian Sundays", Shamez, with help from like-minded busy-bodies, has transformed Kensington from a community, a neighbourhood, into a popular social destination. Hence the proliferation of cafés and nightclubs. Without the unanimous consent of the residents or business owners, Shamez's Kensington Sundays have made Kensington into an event, a commercial event from which, I suspect few have profited more than Shamez's restaurant, La Palette.

Ironically, thanks to Shamez, it's the rush to capitalize on Kensington's heightened hipness which now makes The Market attractive to multinationals such as Starbucks. The Kensington Market the coffee anarchist crowd seeks to save, was poisoned on the first Pedestrian Sunday, several years ago. The natural evolution of this neighbourhood was interrupted and redirected by Shamez et al. I'm not convinced this will ultimately prove to be a negative, but it's not lost on me that the very person who let the genie out of the bottle would now participate in the revolt against his own creation. I'd venture that some, or maybe all of the imported and domestic spirits which Shamez pours at La Palette are owned by large corporations. How are the beverages poured at a Starbucks so different?

Attitudes and acts...

Attitudes and acts...

As "Mr. Pedestrian Sundays", Shamez, with help from like-minded busy-bodies, has transformed Kensington from a community, a neighbourhood, into a popular social destination. Hence the proliferation of cafés and nightclubs. Without the unanimous consent of the residents or business owners, Shamez's Kensington Sundays have made Kensington into an event, a commercial event from which, I suspect few have profited more than Shamez's restaurant, La Palette.

Ironically, thanks to Shamez, it's the rush to capitalize on Kensington's heightened hipness which now makes The Market attractive to multinationals such as Starbucks. The Kensington Market the coffee anarchist crowd seeks to save, was poisoned on the first Pedestrian Sunday, several years ago. The natural evolution of this neighbourhood was interrupted and redirected by Shamez et al. I'm not convinced this will ultimately prove to be a negative, but it's not lost on me that the very person who let the genie out of the bottle would now participate in the revolt against his own creation. I'd venture that some, or maybe all of the imported and domestic spirits which Shamez pours at La Palette are owned by large corporations. How are the beverages poured at a Starbucks so different?

Well, there's a lot of truth to that.

http://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2008/09/starbucks_to_ruin_kensington_market/

Quote from BlogTO, bottom of page:

As mom and pop shop owners in the area, a group of us feel our business is being dramatically affected by the so-called "defenders" of the market.

It is so extremely important to have space in the mind. Otherwise, you always create what you are fighting against. The psychology and the brand image of Kensington Market that people attach to is no different than the brand image that Starbucks has. Both are desperate for power.

Be creative, do something new. Kensington Market is a neighbourhood full of raw emotion and energy, it can be a leader in creativity and sustainability. And that doesn't mean Pedestrian Sundays.

Posted by: TheStoreOwnersofKensington at September 29, 2008 10:06 AM

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/.../2008/09/30/in-kensington-a-venti-debate.aspx

In Kensington, a venti debate about Starbucks

Kuitenbrouwer

After my piece last week on Starbucks’ plans to invade Kensington Market, persons unknown pasted posters all over the storefront at 234 Augusta Ave., the former J&J Fruit Market. Starbucks has expressed interest in this address.

“We (heart symbol) our local cafés,†says one poster. “Kensington Market does not welcome multinational corporations,†says another. The third notes, “The arrival of Starbucks will undoubtedly create a chain of disproportionate rental increases, thereby making it impossible for current or future independent businesses to thrive. If you agree with us, please sign our petition in any store in Kensington.†The posters also cover hydro poles all over the market.

Gordon Hertzman, shopping today in Kensington for apples for Rosh Hashanah stopped, read the poster, and called his wife. He told her he felt Starbucks should be allowed in; she disagreed. After a heated debate, she hung up on him.

“It’s free speech,†said Mr. Hertzman, a software developer. “Why should we stop someone from doing what they want? I think it’s ironic that people that live in this neighbourhood, who are all about freedom of expression, are now trying to restrict the freedom of somebody else.â€

Mr. Hertzman says he often develops software while sitting in Starbucks, especially the Rosedale shop. They always welcome him, he says: “Starbucks has done more, in larger society, to create the corner store, get-out-of-your-house environment, than anyone,†he says.

Web sites such as Torontoist and blogto that picked up my story also got a mixture of reaction, with many of the comments coming out for Starbucks or at least asking whether Councillor Adam Vaughan (Trinity-Spadina), who opposes the coffee giant’s plans, should have power to control where businesses locate.

Meanwhile, Phil Pick, the real estate agent trying to rent the spot to Starbucks, says my story, and the ensuing protest, have been great publicity for him.

“National tenants are reading about all this hubub in the market and asking, ‘Where is this place?’ “

This is the paradox. The edgier and more exciting a neighbourhood is, the more everyone wants to be there. Yorkville, hippie hangout of the 1960s, is now chic. Queen West West, former gallery row, is now party central. Little Italy, once known for cheese, is now known for martini.

Mika Bareket, owner of the new Augusta shop Good Egg, started the “no Starbucks†petition, but claims she had no hand in the postering. How can she stop the company? “I’m trying by discouraging and enlightening,†she says.

A Starbucks spokeswoman in Vancouver today said, “No lease has been signed.â€

Kensingtons, the coffee shop at Baldwin and Kensington streets, had collected three signatures on its copy of the petition.

“It’s kind of nice to keep the small independent businesses in this area because that’s why people come here,†says Kahle Flaherty, who works at Kensingtons.

Hmm. I stopped in at Salamanco on Baldwin. Pablo, the owner, has sold beans and honey, peanut butter, yellow corn, white corn, steel cut oats, and other dry goods here for 28 years. He has no problem with Starbucks.

“Are people afraid?†he asked. “People have to choose where they want to buy their coffee.†He notes that restaurants and cafés are blooming like roses all up and down Augusta, but he’s not worried about his rent. “The guy who owns this place is very nice. He knows if he rents for $3,000 or $4,000 a month, the tenant will go out of business.â€

And so I am not signing the petition. Mr. Vaughan and city council can protect this area by maintaining the two-storey buildings. But you can’t stop change.

it's a real shame people found it necessary to plaster the entire building with posters. the landlord will have to clean that up.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_27488.aspx

Starbucks In Kensington? Not On Their Watch
Wednesday October 1, 2008
CityNews.ca Staff

"I think it's horrific, horrific, yeah," fumes Chrissy.

You might think she's talking about a terrible crime scene, or the financial crisis that's overtaking the United States.

But no - what Chrissy is reacting to is the thought that there might possibly be a Starbucks in Kensington Market.

The proposal has prompted angry reactions from other residents as well.

"The heart of Kensington would die," a local resident named Anthony exclaimed.

"It's THE store. It's up there with Home Depot, or Wal-Mart."

Critics claim the presence of a massive corporation will forever change the dynamic of the area, which is dominated by small, family-run businesses.

"This is a historic place," said Lucy Bove. She's worked at the Kensington Clothing Company for 22 years.

"It's different. [It would] be nice to keep it like that."

Yet most Starbucks locations aren't wanting for customers.

An outlet that recently opened at Queen and Bathurst caused a bit of a stir and a store in the increasingly trendy West Queen West area - at the corner of Dovercourt and Queen - inspired vehement responses from neighbours three years ago.

They're both still open.

But many believe allowing a Starbucks location in the heart of Kensington Market is crossing the line. The java giant is apparently eyeing a location in the area and the real estate agent in charge of a vacant former fruit market is reportedly in talks with the company.

Nothing has been confirmed.

Kensington locals have vowed to fight the chain from coming to their neighbourhood.

A petition against Starbucks is circulating in nearly every store Kensington Market. Residents and people who come into this neighbourhood are being asked to sign it to make their feelings known.

Community groups have attempted to fight major chains in other areas in the past - some tried to block a Wendy's from opening on the Danforth and Cabbagetown residents tried to block a Tim Horton's - but both attempts were unsuccessful.

Community members in Leslieville are currently trying to block a SmartCentre in their area.

The real estate agent overseeing the Kensington location told CityNews the controversy has been good for business and that nothing stays the same.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/toronto/archive/2008/10/01/195321.aspx

Starbucks denies Kensington plan

Posted: October 01, 2008, 9:53 AM by Peter Kuitenbrouwer
Kuitenbrouwer

Starbucks Corp., which has 110 coffee shops listed in the Toronto phone book, uses the Vancouver office of the Grey group, a global advertising agency, to do Canadian public relations. Yesterday morning I called Vancouver to ask whether Starbucks plans a shop in Kensington Market. Phil Pick, a commercial real estate leasing agent, has approached Starbucks to rent them a vacant storefront at Nassau and Augusta avenues. He said they showed interest and are doing due diligence and demographic studies.

After my deadline yesterday, Rebecca Irani called back from Grey to say she'd heard back from Seattle, world headquarters of Starbucks. "Starbucks has not been in discussions with anyone to open a store in that area," Ms. Irani said. Hmm. Before you anti-Starbucks crusaders of Kensington break out the bubbly (or i deal's Kensington-roasted coffee), be forewarned. Earlier this year we heard Starbucks was opening at Queen and Bathurst streets. Starbucks denied it. Guess what? There's a Starbucks there now.

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_27488.aspx

I'm embarrassed for the would-be free thinkers who I'd always assumed to inhabit Kensington Market. Starbucks sells coffee. It is not a WalMart or other big box store. Its employees are not oppressed. Did I mention it sells coffee, maybe not organic coffee, but it sells coffee. There are times and places to take a stand for worthy causes, but this ain't one of them. If these "coffee anarchists" really believe their own rhetoric, then they should reserve equal amounts of vitriol for Cobs, Ryder Truck Rentals, Freshmart/National Grocers, and any merchant or restauranteur who sells anything other than hand crafted goods and organic food, transported on foot to market, sold in handcrafted huts made of local materials, heated with local wood cut with handmade stone tools, transported on foot, lit with bees' wax candles, etc.

People will drink coffee where they choose to drink coffee and nothing should stand between them and their choice. Free-thinkers? Freedom? Hello Kensington.... anybody home? Get a grip on reality and stop hiding behind the convenient social flashpoint of the day. Cities evolve. I miss the Kensington of my youth and it was nothing like today's Kensington, believe me. Life went on, and life goes on. Suck it up... and I don't mean the coffee.

People it's a Starbucks, nothing more!!! Don't want to drink their coffee?? Don't go in!!! They have all the right to set-up shop where ever they want. If they close due to lack of business, then they close....but if they thrive because of the number of people going through the market on weekends, who could blame them for setting up there??

That's the approach I believe in too. If people have such a problem with a starbucks in Kensington, or a Wal-Mart in leslieville, then don't shop there. If they make enough money to stay in business, than it can't be a big enough problem.

Especially in Kensington, I think a starbucks is a terrible idea because I can't see how they'd make any money. They just had to close like 200 stores in the US so you know they're not gung-ho on expanding. But hey, if they can make a go of it, all the more power to them.

People it's a Starbucks, nothing more!!! Don't want to drink their coffee?? Don't go in!!! They have all the right to set-up shop where ever they want. If they close due to lack of business, then they close....but if they thrive because of the number of people going through the market on weekends, who could blame them for setting up there??

Agree with you here. It's the image of Starbucks that Kensington purists have such a problem with - slick, sleek, international, global, listed on NYSE. Speaking of image; it's almost as if the businesses there deliberately look homey/dowdy resist modernization as a client attractor. The prices aren't any lower than similar businesses elsewhere in the city; Bloor street excepted.:)

Back