News   May 30, 2024
 2.8K     1 

Ken Dryden on Canada's role: The voice that's missing

A

afransen TO

The voice that's missing
Jul. 28, 2006. 10:30 AM
KEN DRYDEN

One in an occasional series by candidates running for the federal Liberal party leadership.

In recent years, we have asked ourselves what Canada's role should be in the world. Economically, environmentally, in matters of security or pandemic, whether we like it or not, we are now all global citizens. Nothing now is not imaginably part of our life. And as citizens, we want and need to do something. But really something; something that matters.

In Afghanistan, there has been something to end its role as a safe harbour for international terrorism; its stabilization and reconstruction. But were the circumstances at the time what we thought them to be? Have they changed? If so, is there still the right role for us to play? Does our participation in Afghanistan represent the best of Canada in the world?

And now the Middle East. This time it isn't just old fights in a snarl of what begat what. Hezbollah started it; Israel responded. Nobody disputes Israel's right to defend itself and no one disputes that absolute need for Hezbollah and Israel to make every effort, not just convenient efforts, to spare civilian lives.

So at home and publicly, we speak in carefully coded language so that those who keep track of such things hear our voices and take note. But what do we do privately? What is Canada's voice? Again, what is the voice that's missing?

There is no more important actor in the world — politically, economically, militarily, socially, environmentally — than the U.S. There will be no more important actor in the future.

There is no one who lives the American experience more closely, for good and not, than Canada. We share the same land mass. Their security is our security; our security is their security.

More than best friends, we are like family. Best friends can go their separate ways; we can't. We have a forever relationship. We share the longest undefended border in the world. Imagine if we shared the longest defended border in the world. Periodic U.S.-bashing may be therapeutic, but it is not useful. Periodic U.S.-pandering may be natural, but it's not useful, either. Not to us, not to them, not to the world.

It isn't easy being a global power. No matter how big you are, in a global world there is no "big guy." Things are too big to take on alone. As Canadians, we have always had to listen, discuss, compromise, work with others. It is part of our experience in being Canadian. The U.S. has never had to live this way. Now, for their sake, for ours and for the sake of the world, they can learn from the lessons we have learned.

We can help. In international conferences I've attended, I've been surprised at how important Canada was in explaining the rest of the world to the U.S., and the U.S. to the rest of the world. Seen by other nations and by the U.S. as most like them, others often hear through us what had been said before and not heard. But we can't help if we play a mini-U.S., Mini-Me role.

The individual actions of the Conservative government are troubling; collectively they are disturbing. The sudden extension, without real debate, of our mission in Afghanistan; the softwood lumber deal; Prime Minister Stephen Harper's governing style; the rhetoric; "God Bless (delete "America," insert Canada" — ugh!) at the end of some of Harper's speeches; and (double ugh!) "Steve." There is an attitude and an approach on display here that, as a Canadian, makes my stomach turn. But, more than that, it gets in the way of Canada playing a role in the world that is critical and that no one can play better. And it keeps the U.S. from hearing the voice that's missing.

What does that mean for Afghanistan? It means staying where we are, doing our best to fulfill our mission, but with our eyes wide open. Rhetoric is deadly, whether it is from Harper or some of the other Liberal leadership candidates.

"When the going gets tough . . ." Canada doesn't "cut and run" and leadership is "standing firm" rhetoric is a comfortable ideological or academic box where you are forever right and you never have to open your eyes again. Except life isn't like that. Leadership is having the courage to have your eyes always wide open, to change and go a different way if a different way is better.

What does that mean for the Middle East? It means we work with other countries behind the scenes. The war between Israel and Hezbollah won't stop until, one way or another, Hezbollah is under control.

Canada needs to work with the international community to create the circumstances outside of conflict where this can happen and peace can be sustained. Among other things, this may require an international stabilization force.

We need to work to involve the U.S. in this process as well. We need to work with those other countries to pressure Iran and Syria through every diplomatic, economic and development lever we possess to cease their support for Hezbollah and Hamas. We need to begin planning for the reconstruction of Lebanon and our role in it, including engaging the substantial population of Lebanese Canadians in the task. All of this not forgetting the primary goal: to help create and recreate the conditions necessary for the larger two-state solution in the Middle East.

Canada is a true global country. Because of our French and English history, we created institutions and developed understandings that have allowed our differences to survive and thrive, that have evolved a "live and let live" attitude that allows a bilingual and multicultural society to work. The way Canada works is the only way a global world can work in the future.

As Canadians, we have an internationalist instinct. We need to play an internationalist role. We need to do so because it is what the world and the U.S. needs of us.

Sometimes, we will differ with the U.S. This isn't to be parochially contrary. It is to work with, not against, the U.S. in our forever relationship, in our and the U.S.'s relationship with the world.

Would anyone miss us if we weren't there? There is little value in being a tiny echo of a voice that already is there. In any action we consider, for Canada in the world, with all our possibilities and all the world's needs, the answer has to be yes.

The important voice is the voice that's missing. It is Canada's.

Ken Dryden, MP for York Centre, is running for the leadership of the Liberal Party of Canada.

----------------------------------

I think he's articulated quite excellently what is so troubling to Canadians about Harper's parroting of the US on international issues lately.

This is the first time I've really gotten a sample of Ken Dryden's world view and I think I'm impressed.

Yeah,I've heard Dryden speak (he's my MP!),he's such a good, thoughtful, speaker, well educated and very passionate, but lacks charisma (but then again, did Paul Martin or does Steve have charisma?). He speaks at a high level and doesn't dumb himself down. He makes a lot of great points above.

He is my favourite candidate, not just because he's my MP, but I am warming to Stephane Dion as well. Kennedy would be a third choice. Just please, no Volpe, Ignatieff. I'm not warm to Bob Rae either.

Re: Ken Dryden on Canada's role

Dryden has always seemed to be a decent man. I doubt that he'll be on the final ballot at the Liberal leadership, but then again I might be wrong. We could do worse than him.

As for Canada's "voice", I'm not sure how much of a voice we really have, or really ever have had, in the Middle East. We like to think of ourselves as *the* peacekeepers, but the reality is that Canada has participated little in peacekeeping for the past 10 yeas or more. Many countries, including even a few in the Third World, have contributed more than we have recently. We can and should distinguish ourselves from the Americans (as we did by not going into Iraq), but we shouldn't fool ourselves that we are a major force these days on the world scene.

Whether you like Harper or not, one of his reasons for boosting the military is that people might listen to us more. We lack credibility when we are basically "all talk, no action".

Back