News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 557     0 

July 8 - 10 Weekend

"Japan Foundation exhibition "The Birth of Modern Industrial Society in Japan" with items from the Shibusawa museum in tokyo. The Japan foundation, 131 Bloor West. Saturday, 1:00 p.m."

Sounds really interesting. Is this just one day, or how long will it last for?

It is an exhibition based around Japanese woodblock prints from the 19th century which chronicled the startling changes to Japanese society as it suddenly opened up to the west. Woodblock artists recorded the clash of cultures.

June 13 to July 29.

The Japan Foundation, easily overlooked, has had all kinds of interesting exhibitions over the years.

www.japanfoundationcanada.org/

babel:

I think the ROM also has a good selection of Japanese woodblock prints (or was it Korean?)

GB

Indeed. Naoko Matsubara, a leading Japanese woodblock artist who lives in Oakville, donated 177 of her woodblocks to the ROM in 1998. They held an exhibition of them a couple of years back. I love her work, which is quite "folk-arty", and was very fortunate to snap up a small group of her prints early one morning, some years ago, at the St.Lawrence Flea Market; they're framed and hanging in my living room, and one day the ROM will get them.

naoko-matsubara.abbozzoga...graphy.htm

Incidentally, I was chatting to my ROM connection a few days ago and asked about their storage facility in Oakville. It contains their collection of pickled dead things, which are used for research. Such things as examples of every kind of fish found in Lake Ontario, for instance. Research is an important part of what the ROM does, not just displaying their collection.

It contains their collection of pickled dead things, which are used for research. Such things as examples of every kind of fish found in Lake Ontario, for instance. Research is an important part of what the ROM does, not just displaying their collection.

Yup, they have the vascular herbarium, among other collections. The TA for my molecular biology years ago was actually in thick in the field of "pickled dead things" (ichthyology), though I admit he is a far more interesting specimen to study... :eek:

GB

The other nugget of information I got was that the ROM's exhibit display process is turning out to be more exacting and time consuming than anticipated. Deciding what goes in each display area, situating artifacts away from various damaging light sources, and arranging the whole so it tells the story they want to tell in the best possible way - that sort of thing.

The reason the ROM has such a huge collection, most of which isn't on display, isn't just to fulfill their research mandate as per the pickled dead things. Many of their holdings are fragile / light sensitive. If the have a month-long exhibition of textiles, for instance, they must have enough similar examples in storage to allow them to replace displayed items during the life of the exhibition if they are so light-sensitive they can only be brought out for a week at a time.

Speaking of pickled dead things

news_feature-2.jpg

Corso Italia - What a waste of time. This festival wasn't anything near that of little Italy. First off it looked very ghetto, second there was hardly any attractive patio seating, and lastly the music emphasis seemed to be more South American than Italian.

He's not dead. He's just resting.

The day after the last election all the Mills lawn signs were retrieved. If Jack stumbles, Dennis could rise again.

Back