News   May 09, 2024
 534     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 469     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 782     1 

John Street Revitalization

Saw this on DTAH’s IG feed but don’t know if it signifies anything.

IMG_1317.png

That more money is being spent on renderings? /s Because we have a lacking of those for this project.

AoD

Finally, rather belatedly, detailed design is under way, as in working drawings. With any luck (fingers crossed) we'll get at least one block of this next year. Yeah, I don't think that's good enough either..........

But .....

Edit to add @ProjectEnd has been dutifully waiting for the facelift of Grenville........

The latest internal City docs show that streetscape work deferred to 2027.

At least it seems like we will be getting a few of these street revitalizations going at the same time, give or take a few years. Between this, Reimagine Yonge, Yongetomorrow, the under Gardiner public realm, Queens Quay East, Avenue Road, etc - there will be a lot of great public realm spaces added to the city by the early 30s.

Edit: Queens Park + Ontario Leg grounds mayyyyybe?

Last edited:
I’ll believe it when I see it under construction. John Street should have been funded and done 10yrs ago. Crazy as it’s such a small street.

And when John Street is done we only have ~10,000 more streets covering 5,397 km with 7,100 km of sidewalk left to do. With the speedy pace of change we've seen (29 years/street) it should only take 290,000 years to get it all done.

Last edited:
I’ll believe it when I see it under construction. John Street should have been funded and done 10yrs ago. Crazy as it’s such a small street.

If and when it starts there will still be concerns over how well-executed the redo will be - Toronto has a tendency to disappoint in that regard as well.

AoD

And when John Street is done we only have ~10,000 more streets covering 5,397 km with 7,100 km of sidewalk left to do. With the speedy pace of change we've seen (29 years/street) it should only take 290,000 years to get it all done.

That timeline doesn't include the countless revisions and deferrals that our city is so adept at.

I mean if they had the passion about this that Doug Ford has with building that dodgy freeway, this would of been done years ago. Even the feds would of bent to their will. Just saying...

I mean if they had the passion about this that Doug Ford has with building that dodgy freeway, this would of been done years ago. Even the feds would of bent to their will. Just saying...
Making John Street pretty doesn't win votes...

Let’s adopt an incremental approach and place temporary barriers where the new sidewalk edge will be to start allowing non-auto uses to fill the space.

for what it's worth, TOinView now lists this as a "2025-2028" project. This differs from the latest update on the City's website for the project, which claimed construction would be this year..

for what it's worth, TOinView now lists this as a "2025-2028" project. This differs from the latest update on the City's website for the project, which claimed construction would be this year..

On the previous page, I showed how this initially appeared in the 2024 Capital Budget:

Edit to add:

This has changed again, as April '24

It now looks like this:

1714582876290.png

From: https://www.toronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/9059-2023-Captor-report-TS-V1.pdf

Column on the left is 2024; with years progressing as you go right.

Back