Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.thestar.com/business/article/631083

Jobless rate stabilizes

Numbers are much better than economists expected

May 08, 2009 01:05 PM

Ann Perry
Business Reporter

Canada's economy took an unexpected break in April from the punishing job losses that have pummelled it since last fall, creating 36,000 net positions and leaving the unemployment rate unchanged at 8 per cent.

After months of carnage in employment markets, the positive job numbers shocked economists, who had anticipated about 50,000 jobs losses last month. The unemployment rate in Ontario, where job losses have been particularly heavy since the recession began, held steady at 8.7 per cent, while the hard-hit manufacturing sector actually created 7,000 jobs across the country.

Toronto's unemployment rate edged up 0.1 of a percentage point to 8.9 per cent, on a three-month moving average.

But economists warned the jobless report should be taken with a grain of salt. Statistics Canada chalked up the over-all job gain to a jump of 37,000 people in the self-employment category, prompting United Steelworkers economist Erin Weir to dub it the "do-it-yourself recovery."

"It's probably safe to say that a large portion of this was likely those who were laid off and forced into self-employment, a trend that was also noticeable during the 1990s recession," Toronto Dominion Bank economist Diana Petramala wrote in a research note.

"While it is great news that job destruction halted in April, we shouldn't put too much stock in one month of data," Petramala said.

It was a concern echoed by Douglas Porter, deputy chief economist at BMO Capital Markets, who said "it's premature to send the all-clear signal." He added that "head fakes" are always possible and noted that employment actually rose in five separate months in 1991 during a long and deep recession.

"Still, this marks a huge improvement from the wicked job losses seen over the winter, and is yet another strong signal that the economy may be approaching bottom," Porter said.

Adding to the positive news was that the increase in employment in April was all in full time work, which added 39,000 jobs, the first gain in five months. Meanwhile, the economy shed 3,600 part-time positions.

Despite last month's increase, over-all employment has plummeted by 321,000 since peaking last October, and the jobless rate remains at a 7-year high.

And many economists expect job losses to resume before a recovery takes hold.

"We expect the economy to continue to shed jobs over the rest of 2009, but not to the same degree as we saw over the last five months," Petramala said.

unemployment isn't happy news, but I doubt that's the end of it. It's like a snowball rolling. I don't think it's hit bottom yet. The hill is just not on a steep slant so it's not going down fast.

Let's hope employment prospects improve soon but history suggests that a deep recession will yield about a 5 percent rise in unemployment (official numbers). Sure history doesn't repeat itself but it can give us a guideline of what to reasonably expect. And what it is saying is that contrary to the almost universally eroneous statements and positions taken by senior economic figures, the average Canadian should very much be prepared for unemployment levels in the double digits.

Economists are beginning to speculate about a v-shaped recovery instead of a u. Hard to say. We'll know in a few months where this is going.

The Toronto Sun headline today reads "Canadian economy lags behind recovering nations"
While Prime Minister Harper has said he expects Canada to emerge from this recession before many other economies, the early evidence doesn't appear to back up such optimism. North America will likely lag behind many others in the turnaround.
The Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development says it's index of composite leading indicators from March shows China, Italy, UK and France are showing signs of recovery, Canada is not, like the US we remain in the grip of a "strong slowdown".
Still trust Harper the economist? What a bunch of idiots we have handed power over to, it appears like they are sitting back waiting to see what our American cousins will do before the Harper team takes any action. No wonder the liberals are taking a lead. Makes me wonder if Harper is consulting Bush about "free market" economies.
I am still reeling at the admission that we will not be paid back the "loans" we
handed over to the failing North American Car industries. Why call them loans?
Fiscally responsible? You will have to judge for yourself. I say not one bit!
I would advise anyone reading in Canada about jobless rates stabilizing to take another hit from their bong if they believe such BS!

^ We went into recession pretty late...I think that has a lot to do with when we'll be coming out...that and we won't be coming out before the US (our largest trade partner).

Recoveries are also often linked in to the depth of the recessions themselves. Look at how badly the UK and many of the Eurozone countries fared. We are no where close on many counts. That's perhaps why we won't have as strong or quick a recovery....we don't have as much ground to make up for.

Last edited:
^ We went into recession pretty late...I think that has a lot to do with when we'll be coming out...that and we won't be coming out before the US (our largest trade partner).

Recoveries are also often linked in to the depth of the recessions themselves. Look at how badly the UK and many of the Eurozone countries fared. We are no where close on many counts. That's perhaps why we won't have as strong or quick a recovery....we don't have as much ground to make up for.

There is no economic principle that says Canada will get out of this recession after the US, because it entered the recession in a milder form many, many months after the US began a recession.

There is no economic principle that says Canada will get out of this recession after the US, because it entered the recession in a milder form many, many months after the US began a recession.

There's no specific economic law but generally speaking when the largest export customer of a largely export oriented economy goes into recession it does not bode well for that country. We sat out the last US recession (largely because of our oil sector). However, it's hard to see how we can sit this one out. And it's not just exports to the US but to virtually every other export market as well, combined with a depressed market for goods and services at home.

But I do think there are signs of a recovery (not just in Canada but globally as well):

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601082&sid=awE0BZ89DZ6w&refer=canada

It'll be a while before we get out of the hole but hopefully we're at least starting on the way up.

I actually still do not sense much recovery momentum. It just doesn't make sense yet. If the statistics do pan out for a late year recovery I wouldn't be surprised to see a second recession occur in 2010.

I checked out that trade surplus article. So imports are falling faster than exports. The amount we are buying is falling faster than the amount we are selling but the amount we are selling is also falling? This is positive economic news?

There's no specific economic law but generally speaking when the largest export customer of a largely export oriented economy goes into recession it does not bode well for that country. We sat out the last US recession (largely because of our oil sector). However, it's hard to see how we can sit this one out. And it's not just exports to the US but to virtually every other export market as well, combined with a depressed market for goods and services at home.

But I do think there are signs of a recovery (not just in Canada but globally as well):

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601082&sid=awE0BZ89DZ6w&refer=canada

It'll be a while before we get out of the hole but hopefully we're at least starting on the way up.

We are by no means 'sitting this recession out'. Our GDP has contracted by more than many previous recessions, and we probably have further to fall.

^ I didn't say we were sitting this one out. I merely stated that a good part of the recovery from this recession will be related to what happens south of the border.

The longer the recession lasts the more certain Harper will fall.

Harper is counting on a 2010 boom mixed in with the Olympics and then say "Canada's back"

However how many govts have we seen preside over good times, which turn sour and come out back alive???

Back