News   Jul 29, 2024
 96     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 487     0 

job/apartment market in Toronto

Ummagumma66

Member Bio
Reaction score
I may be moving back to Toronto before long, and I wonder how is the labor and housing market (rental), also any suggestions as to decent parts of the city to live would be welcomed.

Can't speak for the labour market not knowing your field but the rental market provides easy entry. When you arrive back in Toronto pick up a free copy of "Renter's News" which can be found very easily in magazine boxes on street corners. It's about 1" - 1 1/2" thick. Plenty of rental opportunities all over town. Prices vary based on what your want and where you want to live. Roughly, a bachelor/studio in a decent building, $700-$1000, a one bedroom $950-$1400 (Jr. one bedrooms are a little less expensive), two bedrooms $1200-$1700. Add cable, telephone, Internet, parking (usually) and in some cases, hydro to the monthly rental fee.

Here is "Renter's News" website. It's not very user friendly but it may give you a head-start. Pick up the bi-weekly Renter's News when you hit town and you can also check local newspapers for rentals too.

http://www.rentersnews.ca/

Good luck!

Law enforcement is my trade, hoping for the higher end jobs, wage comprable to what I make now, 40k/ year...

anyways, I've been gone quite a while, I guess I should as what areas are decent for renting and what areas to steer clear of...I remember only the truly infamous ones, but no others, so I guess thats what I need the help with.

Do I have to repeat my slogan again? BYOB - Bayview, Yonge, or Bathurst. The rest of the city is a wild, untamed jungle!

That's Toronto for you. One person's sketchy neighbourhood is another's lovely home. There are those who have lived their lives in Parkdale or at Jane and Finch and say it's not that bad, while for others it has been hell.

I am guessing the Toronto Police force actually has good potential (wage wise) -- I think it is higher than I thought by a considerable amount (based on my knowledge of one story where they mentioned someone's retirement pension).

Law enforcement is my trade, hoping for the higher end jobs, wage comprable to what I make now, 40k/ year...

Hope you are smart - I prefer my police to be smart (as opposed to some american forces - which denied someone a job because they were too smart and risked becoming bored. Good luck.

Um, isn't that an upper class Jewish area???

Upper class people do not live in the apartments along Bathurst...but Russian mobsters do!

There's well-off people living near the sketchy apartments; unfortunately, that's like suggesting someone move to St. James Town to bask in the ambiance of Rosedale.

Bathurst north of the 401 is where all the Russian-mobster-wannabe trash hang out/live. Other than a few Jewish shops, many of the residents (in those apartment buildings along Bathurst) are scary trash! I know because I live in a Russian nabe and even the locals warned me to stay away from BAT/finch unless I'm in the mood for Ruskie groceries (not very often.)

You'll have to give me a tour sometime. If its as bad as Jane and Finch I'll have to take pictures.

Oh, it's not as bad as Jane & Finch...but as far as Toronto goes, Bathurst is firmly on the sketchy side of average - sketchy can be a natural side-effect of a cluster of about 100 apartment buildings, after all. Sketchy Toronto doesn't come remotely close to sketchy parts of American cities, though.

Back