News   May 17, 2024
 433     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 347     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 4.2K     5 

Jennifer Keesmaat's Toronto

I have absolutely no problem with her saying she wasn't going to run and then changing her mind. She's changed it for the right reasons, for the greater good. She isn't afraid of hard work, and she's genuinely passionate about the city. I was quite pissed at her for backing off the LRT but after watching that I understand why she did it.

For real. I don't see why anyone should make that an issue. We had a crackhead as mayor. Someone who changes their mind is overqualified.

Damn, if you're offended by that you are most deffo not invited to my wedding should I ever lose my mind enough to get married. :p

I say this as someone who would personally volunteer my weekends to help destroy the Gardiner downtown. Volunteer. Unpaid. Weekends. Me. Maybe I have lost enough of my mind to get married.

We can agree on Keesmaat though.

I think you misunderstood me - I would gladly join you in taking a sledgehammer to the Gardiner.

Damn, if you're offended by that you are most deffo not invited to my wedding should I ever lose my mind enough to get married. :p

I say this as someone who would personally volunteer my weekends to help destroy the Gardiner downtown. Volunteer. Unpaid. Weekends. Me. Maybe I have lost enough of my mind to get married.

We can agree on Keesmaat though.

I would personally prefer the Gardiner stay up, but I would consider it a fair trade off to dislodge Tory with Keesmaat!

Tory Leads Keesmaat 3 to 1 - The Forum Poll - Forum Research

I wonder if we should open a thread for Faith Goldy's Toronto?

First of all, only 3-to-1 decided voters prefer Tory. Quite a few people don't know who Keesmaat is yet. Quite a few haven't decided yet. She has nowhere to go but up. Tory has nowhere to go but down.

Second of all, it seems like you're equating the candidacy of an accomplished and well-spoken professional urban planner to that of a racist talking head. Why?

If she wants to win, Jennifer Keesmaat must start tearing strips out of Tory's record (which is not hard to do if she can paint him as Mayor Do-Little) and position herself slightly left of Tory, emphasizing fiscal conservatism and informed policy-making, along with smaller pocketbook/family-growth issues that appeal to suburbanites.

As long as there's no other left-wing challengers, I think Keesmaat will likely have the downtown core locked down, with possibly the exception of the condo belts. The suburbs will always be an issue, but if she can get a good campaign team that can do ethnic micromessaging (i.e. emphasizing family services in Thorncliffe vs fiscal conservatism/transit in Scarborough), she might have a chance there as well.

Any mention of taxes and cars must be left until after the election and concentrated messaging for the 416 suburban belt is a must- otherwise, she'll simply be associated as another Olivia Chow/Andrea Horwath. I also think she needs to stick herself in front of a tv camera (and don't say anything beyond the electoral talking points) and attend every single street festival there is in the city from now to election day to build up her profile as much as possible.

Last edited:
...Any mention of taxes and cars must be left until after the election and concentrated messaging for the 416 suburban belt is a must- otherwise, she'll simply be associated as another Olivia Chow.
Agreed in gist on all points, albeit further discussion is warranted and forthcoming.

I think she has thought this through, mostly on the points you make. She's that kind of methodologist, which is a great selling point too. Sell the fact that she isn't 'just another politician' but a driver, mechanic, engineer of the city and a better future, and her views are not 'left or right' but more 'right than wrong' in terms of building a better city, a better future.

But she must also be a fighter, because sure as hell, DoFo Bull is on the loose in the china shop, and if anyone can put the ignoramus in his place, it's Jennifer, with help from her Federal friends. Watch for the latter to start emerging:
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...tutional-fight-over-toronto-council-cuts.html

And let's be honest: Who would you prefer at your dinner table? Keesmaat or Ford?

But she must also be a fighter, because sure as hell, DoFo Bull is on the loose in the china shop, and if anyone can put the ignoramus in his place, it's Jennifer, with help from her Federal friends. Watch for the latter to start emerging:
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...tutional-fight-over-toronto-council-cuts.html

And let's be honest: Who would you prefer at your dinner table? Keesmaat or Ford?

I would say this is another good position Keesmaat could take- as a "Champion of Toronto" against the Fords, possibly offering up a stronger defense than Tory (his protests have always seemed somewhat flaccid and at worst, complicit) has been doing.

On the other hand, she will need to be mindful of the fact that the same 416- suburban belt neighbourhoods that she'll need votes in are the same ones who brought the Fords to power.

Honestly, I'd love to vote for the person who is most likely to stand up for Toronto and tell Ford to suck it. Perhaps in those exact words, though preferably in much stronger language. Call me simple, but that's all I need right now.

That being said, I don't necessarily think Keesmaat is capable of that. Tory certainly isn't, for whatever reason.
It's not that hard, stop playing politics and stand up for the people you represent. It's not the end of the world, but it's a damn good look.

Honestly, I'd love to vote for the person who is most likely to stand up for Toronto and tell Ford to suck it. Perhaps in those exact words, though preferably in much stronger language. Call me simple, but that's all I need right now.
Good way to lose votes. And that's not her modus operandi. She's got to espouse positive outcomes that encompass consensus and conciliation, not confrontation. She's already carved a line in the sand with "secession".

That being said, I don't necessarily think Keesmaat is capable of that. Tory certainly isn't, for whatever reason.
Then who is there?

So far Keesmaat is the best option, and the one most likely to attract a team that 'can do'.

Back