News   Jul 31, 2024
 604     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 670     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 513     0 

Jane Creba Trial: JSR Charged, Controversy!

Well, in terms of the youth sentencing I have to say this: we as a society don't give kids the right to make their own choices until they turn 18. Until then, all of their choices legally belong to their parents. They aren't trusted to make choices in terms of voting, driving, and drinking. If we don't trust kids to make choices as adults, then why should be held accountable as such?

That's a pretty tenuous justification. We don't give anyone the choice of committing a crime, at least one of this severity, otherwise it wouldn't be a crime. There is no age specific regulations concerning having a shootout at Yonge/Dundas. As such, them not being legally able to drive or take out a mortgage shouldn't really effect this.

Anyways, as far as I am aware, no legal system on Earth is of the idea that youths aren't "accountable" for their crimes. That isn't the point of the YCJA or its counterparts.

If we don't trust kids to make choices as adults, then why should be held accountable as such?

I am sorry that is then type of thinking that got us in this whole mess.

There is a difference between being mature enough to smoke or vote then knowing that shooting a gun in public is wrong...

Really if anyone over 12 commits such a crime such as shooting a kid in school on the subway and on the street, he is clearly a menace and a danger to society and should be put away.

Most likely that kid will wind up dead by 30 anyway...

Well, in terms of the youth sentencing I have to say this: we as a society don't give kids the right to make their own choices until they turn 18. Until then, all of their choices legally belong to their parents. They aren't trusted to make choices in terms of voting, driving, and drinking. If we don't trust kids to make choices as adults, then why should be held accountable as such?

Why should we be giving the right to choice to kids? The right to make choices is earned in society. As a child you have rules and responsibilities only. Nothing wrong with this. This is how you are supposed to learn. This is how you come to appreciate and value becoming an adult and being able to make your own choices.

The issue with youth, and the youth violance occurring, has to do with the lack of rules and responsibilites and the lack of expectations on them, not the lack of choice.

I blame parents as well.

I have seen a direct correlation with parents who let their kids run wild after 12 and how the have end up, with those parents who at least keep tabs on what their kid is doing.

I'm not saying that kids don't know the difference between right and wrong, or that JSR shouldn't be held accountable for his actions. I'm just remembering Harper's pledge to end youth sentencing; There's a reason why we don't give kids the right to make choices: because their brains aren't fully developed. Before we take out the pitchforks or pick up the stones, we should take that into account when sentencing the convicted youth. Now, I'm not saying that the convicted should go to jail for three years and then get out on parole and never speak of this again, I'm just pointing out that we as a society don't give kids (for good reason) the same privileges to make choices as adults, so why do we give them the exact same consequences?

JSR was 17 when this happened, yet many bleeding hearts still argue he was "confused", lost...

At that age no leniency should be shown to these people for committing such a vile act.

I do support that if your over 12 or 14 and you commit a crime with a gun, you should be punished with the full extent of the law. Guns are different from knives, as with knives there is little change of an innocent third party being hurt. With guns its a different story and the prime example of this, was the death of Jane Creba.

The simple reasoning behind this is kids using guns is perhaps the worst combination possibile. Also, we have seen younger and younger teens getting involved in all this and do not fear the law at all. Mostly, because they know they would be out in 3-4 years or even less.

Of course we need community programs and all that but if teens think they are immune from the law, what use are those programs.

JSR was 17 when this happened, yet many bleeding hearts still argue he was "confused", lost...

The simple reasoning behind this is kids using guns is perhaps the worst combination possibile. Also, we have seen younger and younger teens getting involved in all this and do not fear the law at all. Mostly, because they know they would be out in 3-4 years or even less.

Of course we need community programs and all that but if teens think they are immune from the law, what use are those programs.

I disagree with you here. These kids aren't doing it because they're over-thinking it. They're doing it because they're not thinking at all.

Youth Violence is a hard issue to solve...

Stuff like Bikers and seasoned Gangster are serious but of course the only option there is for more aggressive policing.

When it comes to 12-18 year olds, I think you are right that kids will shoot each other if they have a gun no matter what...

Is the option harsher punishments or more social programs?

I think we could use both. Like the police officer in the schools, a lot of those officers become friends to a lot of kids. Things like that are beneficial.

Youth sentencing is a really complicated issue. As mentioned, the threat of long prison sentences doesn't work as a deterrent as no one believes they're going to get caught.

Also, sticking an offender in prison for a long stint can create an even worse situation -- now you've got someone who is essentially completely unemployable, has no skills, probably has a chip on his or her shoulder towards society and whose buddies are all (ex-)convicts. Of course they're going to reoffend.

JSR sentenced as an adult for life with Parole in 4 years...

http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090424/090424_jsr_sentence/20090424/?hub=CP24Home

TORONTO — The first person convicted in the Boxing Day 2005 shooting death of Toronto teen Jane Creba was sentenced as an adult today and handed a life sentence with no chance of parole for seven years.

The 21-year-old man, known throughout the trial as J.S.R. because he was a youth at the time of Creba's death, was convicted of second-degree murder, two counts of aggravated assault and five weapons charges.

The publication ban on his name was dropped with the sentence, and he has since been identified as Jorrell Simpson-Rowe.

Because he has already served three years in custody, he will be eligible for parole in four years.

Although Simpson-Rowe did not fire the shot that killed the 15-year-old girl, the jury found him guilty of second-degree murder for participating in the reckless shootout between two gangs on a busy street packed with shoppers.

Seven other adults and one youth are charged with either second-degree murder or manslaughter in the case and are still awaiting trial.

The Crown had argued that Simpson-Rowe deserved to be sentenced as an adult because of his "cavalier" attitude about the tragedy and a refusal to takes responsibility for it.

No doubt he should have been sentenced as an adult.

Looks like the other people charged fill all face harsh punishments.

Jorrell Simpson-Rowe

Jorrell Simpson-Rowe
1531336.bin

I work closely with the forensic system.

If you're child is robbing, raping and packing a gun at 13. Trust me,it's gonna get worse. It's not confusion, it's the begining of a carreer criminal.

Back