News   May 14, 2024
 266     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Issues at The Met

aiekon

Member Bio
Reaction score
It seems as though Charles Hanes is using his website to publicly "bash" the living conditions at the Met. Here's the link: http://www.simplycondos.com/market_today/2008/edilcan.htm

And now the article:

I purchased a small townhouse in The Met as an investment and I've regretted having done so ever since.

The unit was left in deplorable condition throughout the entire "Occupancy Period"! Initially they hid behind the Condo Act which gives developers up to 120 days to remedy deficiencies and then, after the 120 days had long passed and Registration finally took place (I had other clients in the tower paying occupancy fees for almost a full year - compare this with the Hudson that had Occupancy for only a week and you will see why many of my clients were unhappy with Edilcan) I published an article venting my disappointment only to be chased down by a high priced litigator threatening to sue me for defamation. Based on this developer's (Di Rocco family) conduct, I am left to conclude that they are much happier paying expensive litigators to restrict honest commentary, than simply satisfying a client and doing what they are expected to do.

After Registration, and with the work still uncompleted I published the article and immediately heard from their litigator only to find that within hours they had sent someone to fix the ceiling (after 5 months of not doing anything and after I disclosed to the litigator that I had hired my own repair person to fix it) they entered my PRIVATE PROPERTY against my specific instruction (where I come from they call this "Trespassing") and finally fixed the stipple ceiling.

So here we sit, six months after "Occupancy" (paying $2,600 per month in occupancy fees) and AFTER FINAL Registration (where I gave them the balance of $400,000.00 and received my "title" to the property) with a yet to be completed building. A picture is worth a thousand words, they say so here is an abundance of commentary about what you can expect if you buy from Edilcan and/or the Di Rocco family!

I've gone to considerable lengths to limit this article to "FACT" as true facts cannot be distorted to represent "defamation" even by the best of lawyers although I am fully expecting the same old fall out. This time I will defend. They can throw as much money as they choose to in threatening "Frivolous Litigation". This is information of major importance to the public and by limiting my comment to fact and not opinion I am confident that defamation can not ethically be alleged. Let's wait and see.

I guess I've been operating under a delusion all these years understanding (or misunderstanding to be more accurate) that the Condo Act and Tarion Warranty were designed to be protection for consumers.

I called Tarion to complain about the halls with no wall paper or carpet (AFTER Registration) only to learn that until the "Turn Over Meeting" (scheduled for a couple weeks time yet) owners have no standing with respect to the "common areas" which hallways are.

It seems as though Charles Hanes is using his website to publicly "bash" the living conditions at the Met. Here's the link: http://www.simplycondos.com/market_today/2008/edilcan.htm

And now the article:

I purchased a small townhouse in The Met as an investment and I've regretted having done so ever since.

The unit was left in deplorable condition throughout the entire "Occupancy Period"! Initially they hid behind the Condo Act which gives developers up to 120 days to remedy deficiencies and then, after the 120 days had long passed and Registration finally took place (I had other clients in the tower paying occupancy fees for almost a full year - compare this with the Hudson that had Occupancy for only a week and you will see why many of my clients were unhappy with Edilcan) I published an article venting my disappointment only to be chased down by a high priced litigator threatening to sue me for defamation. Based on this developer's (Di Rocco family) conduct, I am left to conclude that they are much happier paying expensive litigators to restrict honest commentary, than simply satisfying a client and doing what they are expected to do.

After Registration, and with the work still uncompleted I published the article and immediately heard from their litigator only to find that within hours they had sent someone to fix the ceiling (after 5 months of not doing anything and after I disclosed to the litigator that I had hired my own repair person to fix it) they entered my PRIVATE PROPERTY against my specific instruction (where I come from they call this "Trespassing") and finally fixed the stipple ceiling.

So here we sit, six months after "Occupancy" (paying $2,600 per month in occupancy fees) and AFTER FINAL Registration (where I gave them the balance of $400,000.00 and received my "title" to the property) with a yet to be completed building. A picture is worth a thousand words, they say so here is an abundance of commentary about what you can expect if you buy from Edilcan and/or the Di Rocco family!

I've gone to considerable lengths to limit this article to "FACT" as true facts cannot be distorted to represent "defamation" even by the best of lawyers although I am fully expecting the same old fall out. This time I will defend. They can throw as much money as they choose to in threatening "Frivolous Litigation". This is information of major importance to the public and by limiting my comment to fact and not opinion I am confident that defamation can not ethically be alleged. Let's wait and see.

I guess I've been operating under a delusion all these years understanding (or misunderstanding to be more accurate) that the Condo Act and Tarion Warranty were designed to be protection for consumers.

I called Tarion to complain about the halls with no wall paper or carpet (AFTER Registration) only to learn that until the "Turn Over Meeting" (scheduled for a couple weeks time yet) owners have no standing with respect to the "common areas" which hallways are.

hooboy, I think I'll stick with my house that sits on a street by itself

truly diasspointing Edilcan ... this contrasts greatly with the sharp looking exterior on these two towers

One of my friends live in the first tower... and things progressed pretty quickly after occupancy.... I'm guessing this issue might be confined to the townhouses?

Good for him for going public about this. What possible justification could Edilcan have? I've had slumlords treat me better than how he says he's been treated by Edilcan.

What are some notable Edilcan projects... if any? They seem to be low key and other than the Met I'm not familiar with any of their other projects

I'm pretty sure they built the condo on the south-east corner of Bay & Charles (1121 Bay?) & a project nearing completion on Yonge, south of St. Clair on the west side

Edilcan also built 'The Monaco' in NYC (northeast of Doris + Byng), and I think they also built 'Signatures on Bloor' at 55 Bloor Street East

Sept 9/08 Update

Never realised until now the pretty lighting on the MET townhouses ...

September 10

2850161646_586f1e14f8_b.jpg

2850161656_ed195b6061_b.jpg

2850161662_6980043189_b.jpg

excellent pics current

holy cow amazing views from that unit, I wish I can get that view!!! ... thanks for the video link casaguy, the unit was was hosting an open house?

but on the other hand, you can really see the materials / finishing in the building is very average so-so, the common hallways seem very bland ... and the kitchen/bathroom certainly didn't seem impressive

can MODs reopen the Met thread?? pls ... :)

^I have to agree. Other than the terrace and the view, the finishes and overall feel of the hallway and unit was very mediocre. And it's hard to believe that this unit is a 3 bedroom unit. The bedrooms are laughable.

And another strange point:

This unit was supposed to be a 2 bedroom unit according to their website and original layout plan. Maybe the original buyer wanted to make it 3 bedrooms in the same square footage?

met4004.jpg

It looks like what they did was get rid of the double closet in the master bedroom and then make 2 smaller "bedrooms" out of the now larger 2nd bedroom. (The one closest to the kitchen).

Back