News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.1K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 666     1 

Is it time to move to the suburbs?

and they go into stores and hassle customers repeatedly everyday.

ruining people's businesses as they scare away customers....

Then yelling at people for not giving them money...

If you mean harmless as they are not stabbing you maybe, but they are a nuisance and a safety issue and they effect the quality of life.

Actually its the number one reason why i would never want to live downtown.

I would much rather live in lets Mimico or Asiancourt or even Willowdale.

The homeless people downtown are just the same. Completely harmless.

True, but the thing is I don't like seeing them everywhere. I know I'll be attacked for saying that, but it's honestly how I feel. My new neighbours come in all shapes and sizes, ages, ethnic groups, sexual orientations, you name it - and that's awesome! However I don't like stepping over people who loiter in public space, smell, and confront me to beg for money.

The thing is, the above article does not even reflect the apparent qualities of the location you have chosen.

Having lived downtown, in midtown, the inner suburbs, and deep in the outer suburbs, I think that I have a fairly knowledgeable opinion on the matter. In my opinion, you will experience the same change in neighbourhood characteristics walking 2 km from Bloor to St. Clair as if you were to drive the remaining 18 km from St. Clair to Highway 7. I think that midtown is more of an enlightened (and expensive) suburb than a quieter extension of downtown. But that's just me.

True, but the thing is I don't like seeing them everywhere. I know I'll be attacked for saying that, but it's honestly how I feel. My new neighbours come in all shapes and sizes, ages, ethnic groups, sexual orientations, you name it - and that's awesome! However I don't like stepping over people who loiter in public space, smell, and confront me to beg for money.

It is an elitist attitude that i agree with,,, :D

and they go into stores and hassle customers repeatedly everyday.

ruining people's businesses as they scare away customers....

Then yelling at people for not giving them money...

If you mean harmless as they are not stabbing you maybe, but they are a nuisance and a safety issue and they effect the quality of life.

Actually its the number one reason why i would never want to live downtown.

I would much rather live in lets Mimico or Asiancourt or even Willowdale.

it's alot safer living next to those grow-ops in the burbs. :rolleyes:

I think a lot of people move out to the suburbs for lack of better available options.

For someone who wants to buy an affordable home big enough to raise a family, do they have any other practical option other than to move out to the car dependent suburbs? There aren't a whole lot of affordable residential areas that have urban qualities like being pedestrian/transit friendly with mixed uses. Well, at least not compared to the plethora of cul de sac subdivisions.

it's alot safer living next to those grow-ops in the burbs

there isn't one. :p

Yeah there has been 2 grow up's on my street alone..yeah and one credit car scammer...

there isn't one. :p

Yeah there has been 2 grow up's on my street alone..yeah and one credit car scammer...

and the further you get from the downtown core, the hospitals get increasingly shittier and further in distance. what are the odds of getting injured or killed from a homeless person versus the odds of having a serious medical episode that requires the best medical treatment possible?

don't let yourself be terrorized into making choices.

yeah so whats wrong with Willowdale??? :cool:

then your going to tell me agincourt has to many Asians...

I think a lot of people move out to the suburbs for lack of better available options.

It's about lifestyle and what one's priorities may be at a particular stage in life. Downtown living may be appealing at one time of life, and not so appealing at another. A lot of people enjoy their 'downtown' years when they're younger and single, or early in a relationship without children. You don't mind the inconvenience so much or the stepping over streetpeople and the noise etc. The benefits of having so much available to you more than compensates. For a lot of people, however, all of that changes later in a relationship and when children come along. All of a sudden those inconveniences or those 'charms' of the big city are less alluring because you are no longer spending evenings at the theatre or dining out every night. Instead you're in bed at 8:00 because the kids are up at 5:00, you're chauffering junior to ballet and rushing to pick up the little girl from her Karate class to take her to her doctor's appointment etc. Needs change, and unless you are fortunate enough to be able to afford a decent family house in a nicer neighbourhood in Toronto, which is very expensive these days, the suburbs beckon.

These days, a huge percentage of people don't have 'downtown' years...they live in the suburbs because they were born there. edit - I mean they stay in the suburbs, not move there.

I've lived in downtown Toronto for nearly 14 years now, and I am also tired of the homeless. I'm tired of being harassed, sworn at, and threatened -- usually not overtly, but implicitly through under-the-breathe comments, body language, and those who follow me down the sidewalk even after my initial polite declining of their request. These things don't happen that often, but when they do they are very unsettling, and I don't think it should be politically incorrect to openly state that some solution needs to be found for the huge numbers of homeless in our cities -- for everyone's sake.

However, I'm quite bothered by the attitude of most non-city dwellers that homelessness is a "Toronto problem" or a "downtown problem". The homeless in our cities originate in all parts of the country: in the suburbs, rural areas, small towns, and reservations. They migrate to the city because it offers at least some semblance of support, a shelter system (inadequate as some feel it is) and anonymity to blend into the background without feeling like the town's freak show.

It is the failure of Canadian society as a whole to provide for those who cannot support themselves -- either because of mental health problems, physical health problems, economic tragedy, drug addiction, or some other reason. Despite the myth of "small town good will" that continues, in reality there is often little tolerance, acknowledgment or support for the seriously disadvantaged, addicted, or mentally ill in many smaller communities. For the price of a bus ticket they eventually escape to the big city, where they then become our problem, and our problem alone.

Homelessness is unpleasant, but it exists: those of us in the city who see it every day have to face this fact; some are moved to help. Those who live elsewhere have the luxury of pretending homelessness does not exist, and of disparaging those areas where it does exist, but in the end it is a problem that belongs to all Canadians.

My sense is that most families who live in mid-town only do so because the parents have jobs downtown and not because they want to take advantage of the amenities downtown. When you have young children, just going out to see a movie and dining at Casey's is a treat. Dining out at Susur's and going to the opera would be something you could probably do once or twice a year. You definitely don't need to live downtown or mid-town in that case. Mid-town is so attractive because it's a much easier commute to work than the suburbs and there are actual houses with driveways and a decent backyard. I bet many families would not be terribly upset to leave the city for the suburbs if their jobs were to go there and their employers paid for their moving costs.

wever, I'm quite bothered by the attitude of most non-city dwellers that homelessness is a "Toronto problem" or a "downtown problem". The homeless in our cities originate in all parts of the country: in the suburbs, rural areas, small towns, and reservations. They migrate to the city because it offers at least some semblance of support, a shelter system (inadequate as some feel it is) and anonymity to blend into the background without feeling like the town's freak show.

of course they like Toronto because we have laxed rules here and they have free reign here.

Back