News   Jul 15, 2024
 454     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 564     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

Is it realistic for a single 19 year old to live in Toronto?

As I observed it, and have explained, these lunch time drop-in centres don't function exclusively as a charity for one means tested group

Actually, you didn't explain that. All you said is that there was no means-testing and that doesn't mean these lunches are intended for anyone who feels like dropping in. Again, if they are being truly Christian/Jewish/Scientologist, then they would never suggest to someone they weren't welcome - the need is determined by each individual. I would just hope more individuals have some perspective on what the difference is between being broke and being poor.

Regardless, it's completely off topic. Sorry Colvis. What you want to do is completely doable. Good luck!!

I'm jumping in late, but the big, gaping, screaming hole in this plan is that you're not budgeting for a vehicle. I am a blue-collar worker living downtown, and I'll say straight up that your chances of having any sort of a worthwhile blue-collar career without also having unfettered access to your own vehicle are about nil. Even being a garbage collector requires you to get to be able to get to a transfer station at like 4 in the morning so that you can pick up a truck and do your run. Good luck doing that on transit, especially since you'll inevitably be posted to the transfer station furthest from your home (it just works like that; the guy living in Oshawa will get a job in Oakville, and the guy living in Hamilton will get a job in Burlington. Seriously, it always happens and you can't control it).

And what about tools? Boots? Work clothes? Safety gear? These things add up and they aren't cheap. I'm well established at this point, but even now I spend a couple thousand a year just replacing stuff that wears out. You'll be spending much more than that as you build up your arsenal.

The other thing you're not counting on is that any blue-collar job worth doing is going to come with an apprenticeship and trade school. If you leave yourself unnecessarily tight you're really going to suffer when you get called in to spend six months in a classroom without pay.

The best advice, the advice I'm surprised you haven't gotten, is stay at home for now. Buy yourself a light truck (not a super light POS like a Ranger, but think more of an F-150), get it paid off, and try your hand at a few different trades to see what you like. Once you find something you like try to get in to the appropriate union and start an apprenticeship. Make sure to set aside a chunk of your cheque every week to buy tools (I used to set aside 10% of my cheque for tools when I was an apprentice). Also set aside some money to cover your living expenses when you're laid off or in school. Once you've got all those other things lined up then you can look at moving to wherever you want to live.

I never thought about that. Free meals whether it be leftovers from family events or church cant hurt.

They are actually not so much leftovers. The meals can be quite robust and very tasty, depending upon where you go. If you live in the east end of the city, you can get a meal almost every day and some will have leftovers you can take home. It's all about neighbours getting together to make community.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=116722312103135936742.00047acb234739fd62625&z=14

simuls: These meals are beyond charity. The intent is to give people an opporunity to enjoy community and neighbourliness with one another. For those of means, it is an opportunity to hear the stories of those who struggle with low incomes.

For those who wish to contribute, there is usually a discreetly placed donation bin.

Have a look at this review of the free lunch programs in the east end.

http://sayblade.blogspot.com/2009/09/food-for-all.html

The best advice, the advice I'm surprised you haven't gotten, is stay at home for now. Buy yourself a light truck (not a super light POS like a Ranger, but think more of an F-150), get it paid off, and try your hand at a few different trades to see what you like. Once you find something you like try to get in to the appropriate union and start an apprenticeship. Make sure to set aside a chunk of your cheque every week to buy tools (I used to set aside 10% of my cheque for tools when I was an apprentice). Also set aside some money to cover your living expenses when you're laid off or in school. Once you've got all those other things lined up then you can look at moving to wherever you want to live.

^ I would say follow his advice. Stay at home and earn enough savings for a rainy day. You never know when you may need it. Even if you don't want to go to school, you need to build up a trade and your pay will probably be low to start off. You'll also save money eating at home too. Being independant is a good thing, but acting rashly is another. Stash enough cash away, say 10-20k at least before you consider going anywhere so you won't run into cash flow problems.

Education is good and all, but I feel it's over rated depending what goals you have in life. If you want to do many things that require education, degree or diploma then you need to study. If you're happy doing labour for the rest of your life, I say go for it. Even if later in life you decide you want to go back to school. It's never too late. I've even met students in their 50's at university.

Back