News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.2K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 493     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Is Google going the way of Netscape?

I don't get a sense of Google declining at all. There's not even the slightest hint among anyone I can think of considering using a different search engine.
I've been using https://duckduckgo.com/ for a decade I think. It's one of the factory-installed choices on my iPad and PC. I believe it uses Google plus other search engines, but doesn't track you.

Combined with Adblock and I haven't seen an ad on Chrome or Youtube in years. And if Google can't track and sell my data, nor use me for ad view/click sales, how will they make money to survive?

1663052038-google-revenue-breakdown-2021.png

Last edited:
It would seem the number of applications or associated apps Google has now keeps its brand reasonably fresh.

Google has a hold on many of us through Android, Chrome, Maps and Gmail.
Sure might use another search engine now and then but they got us locked in to the ecosystem.
Very true. I don't even think of using another search engine. I can't think of a reason why I should.

I gave Bing Search another try after hearing it was improved by ChatGPT, but got disappointed! 😒 I agree with Google that its Bard AI can be incorporated in other digital products like Gmail, Maps and YouTube, but it should not be used in Search, at least at this stage.

I gave Bing Search another try after hearing it was improved by ChatGPT, but got disappointed! 😒 I agree with Google that its Bard AI can be incorporated in other digital products like Gmail, Maps and YouTube, but it should not be used in Search, at least at this stage.
I use DuckDuckGo on Chrome browser. It seems a good compromise for me, as it still searches Google, but not exclusively, and offers a degree of privacy over straight Google searches.

These LLM are not really great at factual searches. Or, I wouldn't trust them as they are prone to making things up. I did turn to it to remember the name of a book I read once for example. I described the book, around when it was published etc and eventually it reminded me. A search engine failed me there.

If you want to have fun, try yandex.com.

Last edited:

Back