News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 657     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 305     0 

Is "condo-sized" furniture necessary for condo dwellers?

Coltaine79

Member Bio
Reaction score
As I progress through my search for furniture for my first condo, I'm struck by the division between "condo-sized/small space" furniture and the regular stuff. Now my place certainly isn't as small as some units in the downtown core - I have a 1 B.R. with a healthy ~700 sq. ft - so I wonder if I should just forget about the small-space stuff and go for regular sized furniture (I'll have much more selection that way).

I suppose the key point is whether (for example) a 90" regular sized sofa will fit into my living room vs. an 80" small-space sofa. And yes, it will! So is that it, or are there other reasons condo residents like to go for small-space stuff? Could the 90" sofa be too bulky to bring up to my unit?

Do the elevators ever have an issue with "regular-sized" furniture?

P.S. I put this in the floorplan forum since I think it's a pretty floorplan-sensitive issue, eh?

Perhaps people obliged to live in small condos are evolving as a smaller subspecies - I live in a house, and I swear the folks who live on my street are larger than average. You'd be able to fit more condo dwellers on a 90" couch than homeowners if that's the case and your parties would be livelier.

Condo vs "regular" is more of a marketing distinction. Quite often for example you can get a 3 person, 2 person (or love seat) and single person seating in a particular style. Some styles come in even more configurations. I wouldn't get hung up on the distinction between condo and regular. You need to be more concerned about what fits so measure. A good trick is to put masking tape on the floor to represent the size of your furniture if you are not sure. I wouldn't rely on furniture being "condo-size" for purposes of determining fit. Some furniture stores focus on the condo market and may market them selves as selling condo-size furniture. Chances are you wouldn't find a giant sectional in that store.

It's probably better to consider the combination of furniture you plan on buying. While a 90" sofa may fit great, how will it look with a coffee table? An end table? I've seen several furnished units that house regular sized furniture, and though footprint wise it all fits, it makes the rooms look extra small and overcrowded.

Elevators should fit regular sized furniture, but I'd be more concerned about corners between the loading dock to the elevator and to your unit. A 90 degree turn can make things difficult, even for a condo sized couch.

^I designed my own couch. Mine assembles like lego from pieces no bigger than 1x3 feet, and each piece is lightweight. Each piece also has built in storage. I can't stand breaking my or my mover's backs and since I am constantly moving, I found the ideal solution. You too do not need to fall into the classic trap of buying over-priced furniture.

Last edited:
^I designed my own couch. Mine assembles like lego from pieces no bigger than 1x3 feet, and each piece is lightweight. Each piece also has built in storage. I can't stand breaking my or my mover's backs and since I am constantly moving, I found the ideal solution. You too do not need to fall into the classic trap of buying over-priced furniture.

I am intrigued by this solution...are you a designer, or do you specify specs and a place does it? If so, where did you get it done, and how much did it cost?

I'd love something like this (minus the patterns)
roche.jpg

All those segments are able to be separated(at least I think so). Do you have something like this? Please inform where it can be done, as the pic above is crazy expensive! Excellent for condo setting.

It didn't cost me too much money as I'm cheap and it was made by me. Yes, foam is involved.

I'll see if I can refine the design over the next few years (access to OCAD's design studios may help) and get it on the market. (Although I love making unique furniture just for myself, I'm selfish that way.:))

Back