News   Mar 28, 2024
 21     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 530     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 342     0 

Is Andy Byford, the new TTC GM, the leader we've been waiting for?

But for profit can do no wrong!!

TfL crisis latest: entire Tube line may have to close and bankruptcy notice issued

TfL commissioner says problems are even more challenging than Crossrail as bumper fares hike looms

From link.

byford1307a.jpg

TfL commissioner Andy Byford: Funding crisis is even worse than Crossrail
/ Jeremy Selwyn
Someone needs to convince Boris that Peppa Pig would want the government to fund TFL.

Perhaps not. Shall we bring him back?

Please. Down with that disappointment Rick Leary who's currently running the TTC.
We should have a rule that no American from outside of NYC is ever allowed to run transit in a Canadian city. In fact, future job postings should be limited to applicants coming from European/East Asian/Australian systems only.

Sorry, but my purely speculative opinion is that Byford is now too big a catch for the GTA, either TTC or ML. He is destined for a bigger pond. And with little or no evidence of the political will in Ontario to make tough decisions, why would he come ?

My totally unfounded bet is that he turns up somewhere in the American HSR transformation - maybe sorting out California. Just spitballing, but if it ever happens, remember who said it first.

- PUl

Sorry, but my purely speculative opinion is that Byford is now too big a catch for the GTA, either TTC or ML. He is destined for a bigger pond. And with little or no evidence of the political will in Ontario to make tough decisions, why would he come ?

My totally unfounded bet is that he turns up somewhere in the American HSR transformation - maybe sorting out California. Just spitballing, but if it ever happens, remember who said it first.

- PUl
Sadly I agree. The lone oddity that makes me think there's a chance Byford returns to lowly Toronto transit is how short his tenures have been.
Eventually that becomes a liability for prospective employers, who will wonder if he'll stay long enough to bring the transformation they seek.

I don’t understand how can anyone move around so much and really actually contribute too much to the transit in that area. It takes time to understand the areas needs. Then it takes forever to get people onto the idea that this is worth supporting. I have nothing against Andy I am just confused how he moves around sk much yet has a reputation of sorts despite not seeing much through.

I don’t understand how can anyone move around so much and really actually contribute too much to the transit in that area. It takes time to understand the areas needs. Then it takes forever to get people onto the idea that this is worth supporting. I have nothing against Andy I am just confused how he moves around sk much yet has a reputation of sorts despite not seeing much through.
It is strange and I agree he could have done a lot more for the TTC.
At this point I would be satisfied if we had a CEO who wasn't actively hostile to the streetcar network. Down with Rick Leary.

It is strange and I agree he could have done a lot more for the TTC.
At this point I would be satisfied if we had a CEO who wasn't actively hostile to the streetcar network. Down with Rick Leary.
Leary may be hostile to the streetcar network but he is also totally unable to get streetcars OR buses to run on time or properly spaced. The TTC has been a series of silos who do not communicate with each other for decades and he has done NOTHING To improve that and his CEO Reports are filled with rather meaningless statistics that try to show that everything is wonderful. Clearly some of this lack of 'connecting things' pre-dates him and Andy Byford was not able to do much about it either but we do deserve better!

My guess is that with that philanderer, touchy Cuomo and his obstructionist ways gone, Byford might return to NYC to finish what he started, but this time working at some high state-wide level for Kathy Hochu, the new governor. NYC subway is mostly run by the State not the city.

Doesn't seem entirely fair? He spent five years here, that is more than many C-suite types.

Maybe he will head to Boston that has an opening for his skill
If it was me, my four wishes:
1) Below the snowbelt, above the wildfire zone
2) A city with both interest and funding for light railway transit
3) A city without overblown encampments and street junkies (that's just a standard of living thing)
4) A nice urban downtown vide

Back