News   Jul 12, 2024
 838     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 341     0 

Is $400k good for this unit? Thanks!

palapara

Member Bio
Reaction score
it is brand new, by tridel, 820 sqft, yonge/finch, facing north and east, 2br+2 bathroom, no den

Thanks!!

Does that come with parking? I think $480psf for something in North York is a bit steep, but considering Tidel is selling Hullmark Centre for over $520psf, your unit might be fair.

Can you post the floorplan, so we can critique your purchase some more. ;)

thanks tissot!!

Here is the floor plan.

Does that come with parking? I think $480psf for something in North York is a bit steep, but considering Tidel is selling Hullmark Centre for over $520psf, your unit might be fair.

Can you post the floorplan, so we can critique your purchase some more. ;)

Attachments

• palapara.JPG
    palapara.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 314
Seems a little steep for me. Is this in the Meridian building? That kitchen is tiny with little counter top space for preparing any meals. The master bedroom wastes space with that hallway between the closets to the ensuite.

I think you can get a better unit in the area for much cheaper. Plus, if it is the Meridian, north east is not exactly the greatest view (if that sort of thing is important to you).

thanks, lead82. It is 500 doris, Grand Triomphe 2. how is this one? what do you think is the proper price for this unit? maybe I could negotiate a bit with the seller.

However, I don't know the market price for this building. So please...

Seems a little steep for me. Is this in the Meridian building? That kitchen is tiny with little counter top space for preparing any meals. The master bedroom wastes space with that hallway between the closets to the ensuite.

I think you can get a better unit in the area for much cheaper. Plus, if it is the Meridian, north east is not exactly the greatest view (if that sort of thing is important to you).

For this unit, I wouldn't pay more than $350K for it. Again it depends on the floor and what the unit includes (parking? locker?). The layout of the unit wastes a lot of space with the passages from the main doorway into the living/dining area. IMO, there are many better layouts and many buildings to choose from in this area. If you're looking at Yonge and Finch area, there are more buildings closer to the actual subway station than Grand Triomphe.

Are you looking for brand new? Have you considered resale? There are many 2br on the market at Yonge/Finch. You can get one for $320-$330K vs $400k for brand new. Most buildings are under 5yrs old, so age doesn't make much of a difference here.

i don't know the NYC market and from what i've seen it's over-inflated considering one could find similar prices in dt TO.

i wouldn't consider paying more than $370K (~$450 PSF), and the unit has to be up on a high floor with unobstructed views and finishes like granite countertops, engineered hardwood flooring (NOT laminate), undermount sink, s/s appliances, AND include parking + locker.

the unit isn't great but i've seen worse.

PROS:
  • large 12'0" x 13'0" master bedroom with 8-9ft of closet;
  • good sized 2nd bedroom at 10'3" x 10'0" with 6 ft closet;

CONS:
  • 2.5 ft main closet space;
  • 18'8" long LR/DR is actually shorter at 15'0" b/c of the breakfast bar and traffic flow to/from the 2nd bedroom + w/d;
  • too many doorways (to balcony, master bed, 2nd bed) in LR/DR cutting available wallspace

COMPROMISES:
  • the entry hallway is unavoidable in this situation and not really that bad;
  • compact efficient galley kitchen with only 6 lin ft of base cabinetry, 11 ln ft of upper cabinetry ... i recommend you optimize the space with deep full-extending drawers for the base cabs at least, and perhaps consider corner wall cabinets with lazy susan (http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S49869720) installed to the right of the refridgerator either as floor-to-ceiling, or 1 set as base + 1 set as uppers with the middle area open for use as display, entry side table, etc.;
  • ideally the door to the master bed, closets and washroom should be reconfigured ... bathroom should have been lined against one wall instead of galley style with it's door moved to the right; 2 lines of closet changed to walk-in 4'6" x 4'6" configuration; bedroom door moved to where the linen closet is.

Thanks guys for your detailed information about that unit. I will fully consider those suggestions for that unit. Unfortunately, right now, I am only looking for the brand new condo. (a little weird, but just feel more comfortable. :( ).. I got another floor plan, it is for 5791 yonge. The seller asked for $330K. Is that fair?

The master room is a little small. And I am not sure the position of kitchen and the bathroom. But good thing is this room is facing south.

Thanks very much!! Appreciated!

Attachments

• palapara2.jpg
    palapara2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 254
are those condo re-assignments your looking at? Keep in mind you'll have to pay interim occupancy fees as well as closing costs.

$330K I would say is pretty reasonable for that area if it includes parking and a locker.

Which building is that most recent layout from?

that layout only has 1 bathroom. Seems a bit high for a unit with 1bath.

Thanks guys for your detailed information about that unit. I will fully consider those suggestions for that unit. Unfortunately, right now, I am only looking for the brand new condo. (a little weird, but just feel more comfortable. :( ).. I got another floor plan, it is for 5791 yonge. The seller asked for $330K. Is that fair?

The master room is a little small. And I am not sure the position of kitchen and the bathroom. But good thing is this room is facing south.

Thanks very much!! Appreciated!

According to Menkes LUXE website, this unit is 725 SF;
$330K / 725 SF = ~ $455 PSF ...
i find NYCC prices outrageous considering something can be found around the same price in dt, where supposedly, RE value is more expensive !?!

• what kind of finishes does the unit have,
  • does it include parking + locker, and
  • what floor/exposure (are you sure it's S), any obstructions, etc?

• the master bedroom is small but luckily the doorway does not impede into the space;
  • unlike the 2nd bedroom, where the door AND HVAC unit eats up alot of the usuable floor area
- it would have been better if they bumped the wall another foot into the LR/DR so it's parallel with the concrete wall,
moved the door to where the closet wall is,
and you would still have 2 banks of closets plus 2 usuable LR/DR walls to place furniture, etc.

EDIT: sorry i can't seem to edit PDF files to give you a visual.
can someone tell me if it is possible, and how to do it? tia

Attachments

• palapara2.jpg
    palapara2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
I have to disagree with the comment about wasted space with the closet hall in the master BR of that first unit. You need a place to stand when you are going into your closet and if you have a BR with a closet along the wall the 2 feet or so in front of the closet becomes unusable space because you need it to stand and pull out your clothes. Having this style of closet allows for the full 12x10 to be usable space. I wish all condos has either this style of closet or a small WIC rather than the integrated little one that I'm getting with my unit at CASA. The advantage of a WIC is that you can use it a little better if you want to store a few things however the door then takes up some space.

I will agree though about the zig zag entrace hall that it is inefficient use of space...although it can also add some character if you decorate it nicely.

All said, I think the second unit gives you an equal ammount of "livable" space less a powder for $70,000...seems like a no brainer to me if you can live with just the one bathroom...depends on your living situation. I personally like having an ensuite but obviously this wouldn't make sense in a 2BR being the only washroom. How many people will be living here and ask yourself if sharing 1 washroom will create issues....if the answer is no then this seems like a much better buy. I'm not an expert on the condo resale market although I know that anywhere on Yonge south of Finch is expensive (even though personally I don't like the area....it should retain it's value being on the subway and given that to many it is a very desirable area). $330K doesn't seem over priced to me in this market in that location for new 2BR IF it has a nice south view and is south of Finch...I'd say it sounds about right but if it includes parking as well then it's seems very good.

Thanks. dventura.

Actually, not a very nice south view since there is one high-rise building at the south of that. And it is north of Finch. I know Finch is a threshold for the real estate selling price.

But thanks again for your detailed reply.

Back