News   May 10, 2024
 896     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 946     0 

Insights into Urban Planning

M.R.Victor

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but I'm curious whether there are any individuals on these boards who are willing to impart some of their insights into the urban planning profession, whether derived from first-hand work experience or indirect exposure to this field.

I'm curious about two topics in general, namely urban planning as a career and urban planning as a vocation.

On the career front, what are the educational requirements for entry in the field. Does international experience matter? (for example is a Masters' in the UK transferable to the US or Canada). Is experience more important than a degree? Does the prestige of the school matter? How much can a planner home to earn and how in demand is this position?

In terms of the vocational aspect, how much influence do urban planners actually have. To what extent are they at the whim of politics, and what is the general level of job satisfaction (obviously in highly general terms) that one can derive from this profession. I can tell already, from living in Toronto, that politics play a huge role, likely frustrating the efforts of local urban planners. Is the profession as thankless as it seems from the outside?

The reason for my question is that I'm considering doing a Masters' in transportation planning at University College in London UK, after which I would either come back to Toronto to practice, if possible, or move wherever opportunities may arise. I've already started the application process, but I would appreciate any information which would help make my decision more informed. Cheers and thanks in advance

Back