News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Infinity: Phases 1 & 2 (Conservatory Group, 35 + 16 + 12s, E I Richmond) COMPLETE

^ by all means slag Cal's rampant optimission. It's the Toronto way.

But I got his Joni Mitchell "both sides" joke (design-complaint-wise... and you didn't). Which is why I'm wearing a colourful shirt and you are wearing that bummer Grey (the new Black.. Conrad?).

But the feel of the place is still a no-man's land between the "real" city and the ever improving waterfront. We'll see if the new buildings additions will soften this experience. I'm not certain they will. We seem to be getting a Bay street canyon effect everywhere. I mean upper Bay street, the bad section.

I think the major problem is there is no landmark building that really contributes to its immediate surroundings. The ACC, Skydome(yes - that's its name), and the Tower are all city landmarks but don't contribute to their neighbours. They are isolated amongst themselves. The roundhouse could be so great if it wasn't being turned into a Leon's. Steamwhistle has done an excellent job refurbishing the building, and creating a place to go and take a tour of a brewery. But there is still nothing that makes this place a place to go to on a daily basis. It's worse than Cityplace. At least Cityplace has a Rabba and a St. Louis.

This section of the city between Spadina and Lower Simcoe is set to fail as a connection between the city and waterfront because there are no north/south roads. The Skydome and CN Tower alone make it impossible for a N/S link. The Convention Centre just continues that division right over to Simcoe. Unless Skydome and the Convention Centre are torn down, that strip will remain isolated and disconnected from the built-up city grid.

That said, I dont think it is a bad thing. This is Toronto's tourist "centre" The area is full of tourists even in winter, and provides what I think is the Best View of our city. Let the N/S connection be at Spadina, Simcoe, York, Bay, Yonge etc etc.

I think that connecting the waterfront with the city is best accomplished by having that "Bay Street canyon effect. A seemless connection of buildings, constructed right up to the street will guide people from the north all the way down to the waters edge. The Telus Tower, Res of Maple Leaf Sq, 18 York and the yet to be released building(s) set for the parking lot beside Infinity will make that connection. The waterfront doesnt start at Front, it doesnt start at the rail tracks. The Waterfront starts at Queens Quay. I am glad that the city has realized this and is building big, south of the tracks. Bring the city to the water, not the water to the city via endless parks and wasteland.

This section of the city between Spadina and Lower Simcoe is set to fail as a connection between the city and waterfront because there are no north/south roads.

But people can get to the SkyDome or CN Tower from Blue Jays Way or the John St. bridge...

Though not a direct connection to the city itself (north of Front), West 8's proposed pedestrian path from Harbourfront to the CN Tower creates a very strong link between the waterfront and the tower, SkyDome and East Cityplace.

Very few opportunities exist for this sort of ambulatory "drama" in the city.

I've forgotten if this pre-supposes a dismantled Gardiner where it crosses heading northwest (some renders seem to hint at a bridge over traffic) or if it could be accomplished in some manner across Lakeshore (under the Gardiner) with minimal casualties.

This path does however seem to take a chunk out of the Roundhouse but I suppose it would jog instead (though creating a brief journey thru the building would just increase the sense of arrival at the base of the tower).

west8cn.jpg

Update on the commercial space in this building: There's a sports bar called Hoops opening soon in the eastern corner unit (at Bremner & Grand Trunk). Not exactly sure when but it still looks like they've got quite a bit of work to do inside. Once it opens it should do pretty well given the proximity to the ACC and the Dome. There's also some interior work going on in the other corner unit (Bremner & Lower Simcoe), and while there's no signs or anything up yet I'd guess it's going to be something like a pizza pizza or a sub shop from the looks of things.

Thanks for the update. I hope the sports bar opens sooner than later, as I go to Jays games alot and another option than St. Louis' would be welcomed

There is lots of good food north of Front...in fact the best food in the city. There is hardly 'nothing' near the dome.

By 'nothing' I merely meant south of the rail tracks, specifically at Infinity. I've never been to hoops before so I'll take your word that the food isn't the best. As I've suggested in the 16 York thread, I think this stretch along Bremner would be an ideal location for an ESPN Zone in Toronto or a relocated Gretzky's, but that's just my opinion.

Back