News   Sep 13, 2024
 207     0 
News   Sep 13, 2024
 239     0 
News   Sep 12, 2024
 862     0 

Indoor plants

Leaves can yellow and drop, but that looks a little sad. I have mine on my dining room table where it gets only indirect sun. It is in a clear glass vase with shiny blue rocks - no dirt, no gel. Just water and rocks. It seems to have survived for about 3 or 4 years now.

I've got quite the collection of indoor plants, and have had varying levels of success with lots of different species/varieties. Out of the dozens of plants I bought, I don't think I've ever seen a spider on one.

Dt is right about the peace lily. It is very easy to maintain, and it actually doesn't need much light. I have one of mine in a corner near a north facing window, where it gets no direct light, and it does fine. It doesn't flower as much, but otherwise does well. Other species that are easy to maintain:

Dieffenbachia: Pretty, easy to maintain, grows fast, but poisonous to children and animals. My cat, though, never tried to chew it, unlike many of my other plants. Does well in medium light (doesn't need window placing).

Crown of thorns: Hardy survivor-type with thorns and pretty pink flowers. Doesn't need much water, so you won't need to ask someone to water it if you go on a trip.

Orchids: the phalaneopsis types are actually quite easy to maintain. Out of direct sun, watered three times a week, will do quite well. The potting mix has to be just right, though. Ask me for details.

Spider plant: possibly the hardiest of plants, and super easy to make more from the little plantlings that the mother plant produces. One of the best for removing formaldehyde from the air, according to NASA. Please note that it has nothing to do with spiders, nor does it look like a spider. It's just a name, tissot! :)

Bamboo: does much better in potting soil than in water, which is how it is usually sold.

Dracaena marginata (Madagascar Dragon Tree): easy to maintain, tolerates all kinds of conditions, easy to propagate.

Monstera deliciosa (Swiss cheese plant): super easy to take care of, likes shade, grows like crazy, looks amazing.

Hybiscus: lives happily in sunny location, but wants lots of water. Beautiful, huge flowers appear every spring.

Here's an article on taking care of your lucky bamboo:
http://www.flowershopnetwork.com/pages/newsletter/NewsletterJuly2003.php

Last edited:
African violets are very easy to grow, and can take quite a lot of under-watering. They're easy to propagate, too - just slice off a stalk and leaf, put the stalk in a bowl of water and within a few weeks it'll start to develop a mass of roots and a crown of small leaves under water; transfer it to potting soil once the leaf network gets established, and keep it well watered. Once the new plant is growing nicely, cut off the old leaf - which will be drying out by then anyway.

I've got 4 African violets, of different colours, and they are very tolerant. Just water them from the bottom, by having them sit in a pan of water for half an hour, and feed them with AV fertilizer once or twice a month.

I've always wanted an aspidistra. Plants don't survive at my house long due to a certain cat...plants get nibbled at or eaten entirely and even the spiky cactus has become a grooming post.

I've always wanted an aspidistra. Plants don't survive at my house long due to a certain cat...plants get nibbled at or eaten entirely and even the spiky cactus has become a grooming post.

My cat only nibbles on the rest of my plants if I don't have a plate of cat-grass for her. As far as I can tell cat-grass is just wheat. You can buy lots of different cat-grass starter kits, some you don't even need to plant, they grow right in the box you bought it in. Usually you just need to add water. Once it starts to grow, put it in a convenient location for kitty, and she will likely ignore the rest of the plants.

Cats like to chew on plant matter to help with digestion, so you need to provide an alternative to your houseplants, that's all.

Needs a Fan!

a little off topic...

...but can someone recommend me a decent fan, please? I've been shopping around (mostly in Canadian Tire, Futureshop, Best Buy) and couldn't find anything satisfying. Either the wind is too weak or it's way to loud (sounds like i'm in a factory if i wanted to get some decent wind power) or it's out of stock. :mad:

Where else should i go check out? or which specific fan should i look into? Help is greatly appreciated as the weather gets warmer and warmer :cool:

I do prefer tower fans (in black, since they look better) and matches my suite. However, if there are other fans that are more functional and less appealing, i guess i can still live with that. :) The fan is for my bedroom and living room.

Didn't want to start a thread just for this. :D

Last edited:
My bamboo cane....is turning yellow after 2 weeks, i don't know why. I've added water as directed :(

Can anyone help me save my bamboo cane before it goes?

I think you're watering it TOO MUCH.
Does the cane feel water logged and rotting?

Keep the plants, dump the cat :D (joke!)

My cat only nibbles on the rest of my plants if I don't have a plate of cat-grass for her. As far as I can tell cat-grass is just wheat. You can buy lots of different cat-grass starter kits, some you don't even need to plant, they grow right in the box you bought it in. Usually you just need to add water. Once it starts to grow, put it in a convenient location for kitty, and she will likely ignore the rest of the plants.

Cats like to chew on plant matter to help with digestion, so you need to provide an alternative to your houseplants, that's all.

Not true. Our cat prefers the cactus over the cat grass.

I think you're watering it TOO MUCH.
Does the cane feel water logged and rotting?
I think water got into the tip of the cane (that's why some are waxed). Problem seems to be solved after i cut the yellow section. I think the yellow part is "contagious", however, it stopped spreading after i removed the yellow section. (does that even make sense? :rolleyes: lol, hope so. It's been a long/busy day so far.)

Keep the plants, dump the cat :D (joke!)

LOL.

Back