News   Jul 16, 2024
 544     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 676     2 

Incident near St. James Town

jrmiv

Member Bio
Reaction score
On Sunday, June 28th a woman was killed when she fell from the condo tower under construction at 500 Sherbourne St. The police and fire dept. had the street closed from Earl St. to Wellesley from afternoon until about 8PM, but the incident was never reported in the news (as far as I could determine).

Has anybody heard of this in the news?

On Sunday, June 28th a woman was killed when she fell from the condo tower under construction at 500 Sherbourne St. The police and fire dept. had the street closed from Earl St. to Wellesley from afternoon until about 8PM, but the incident was never reported in the news (as far as I could determine).

Has anybody heard of this in the news?

If it was a suicide, it's usually kept out of the news.

We saw a similar situation happen at the success towers (the completed portion) while we were sitting having a drink at harbour a few weeks ago. Saw nothing on the news either.

Suicides are kept out of the news because they encourage other suicides, supposedly. See following article, for example:

Media may play role in copycat suicides

By Vicki Brower

NEW YORK, May 12 (Reuters Health) - The media may play an unwitting role in increasing the likelihood that a vulnerable individual may attempt or commit suicide, according to Dr. Madelyn S. Gould, professor of psychiatry and public health at Columbia University's College of Physicians and Surgeons in New York.

"New studies show that the incidence of 'copycat' and clusters of suicides--which occur most often with adolescents--increases after extensive newspaper or television coverage," Gould said at the Suicide Prevention 2000 symposium held here.

"'Suicide contagion' is real, and there are numerous recent studies that show a correlation with the quantity of certain types of news coverage and incidence of suicides or attempts," Gould added.

Suicide contagion does not occur in individuals without other risk factors, which include pre-existing mood disorder such as depression or bipolar disorder, a family history of suicide, aggressive behavior, substance abuse and impulsivity, Gould stressed.

"Imitating a suicide appears to be more likely if a news story provides details on methods, minimizes the influence of mental illnesses, and portrays the victim in heroic or romantic terms," Gould added in a telephone interview with Reuters Health.

Representing a suicide as a mysterious act by an otherwise "healthy" or "high-achieving" person may lead individuals suffering from depression and suicidal thoughts not to seek help, she said. In addition, it may encourage identification with the suicide victim, which also seems to increase the likelihood of suicide in vulnerable individuals.

Recent studies conducted in the US and overseas have shown that decreases in suicide rates occur following the implementation of media guidelines. For example, after Austria adopted guidelines for the press, the number of suicides fell, Gould remarked.

The American Suicide Foundation, which sponsored the symposium at which Gould spoke, is trying to develop a partnership with the media to enhance the effectiveness of the reporting of suicide while minimizing the risk of copycat acts. Working with the media, the foundation hopes to minimize harm while not infringing upon free speech.

One positive step journalists can take is to state that suicide "is most often a fatal complication of different types of mental illness, many of which are treatable," Gould said.

Providing local resource information is also encouraged. The main goal of the program and the foundation is to prevent suicide.

Another step that can be taken is to exercise care illustrating the victim and relatives to avoid encouraging a pathological identification with the victim, and inadvertently normalize or even glorify the death. "Over 90% of persons who commit suicide have a significant psychiatric problem at the time of their death, most of which have existed for months or years before the suicide," said Gould, who authored the chapter on youth suicide in the recent Surgeon General's Report on Suicide Prevention in the US.

Gould and colleagues are also working to develop a collaboration with pediatricians to alert them to risk factors for suicide in youth.

2000 Reuters Limited.

Last edited:
That is correct as someone did plunge from one of the Pinnacle buildings as my friends came out of the lobby about 90 seconds after it happened. It was also happened at Sherbourne. CP24 did post something at first think a worker fell but once they found out it was a suicide they pulled it.

I was unfortunate enough to witness someone throw themselves under a TTC train. The cop who took my statement said they never make the news for the reasons given above.

Suicides are kept out of the news because they encourage other suicides, supposedly. See following article, for example:

is there any truth to that article? you hear of suicide bombers on TV everyday. how come people aren't blowing themselves up allover toronto? where's the monkey see monkey do copycats?

and if reporting suicides encourages more suicides, what effect does reporting murders, rape, robbery, etc. have?

Murder, rape and robbery are fairly rare, suicide is not. Also, there is a duty to inform people when they may be in danger (serial rapist in the area - don't go walking alone. Lots of Break-ins, lock your windows, etc.) from someone else, but there is no benefit to knowing someone off'd themselves.

Suicide is a funny thing. I believe it was in Washington state somewhere they had two almost identical bridges only a city block or so from one another, which a lot of people jumped off of. They put up suicide guards on one, and expected the other bridges suicide numbers to increase in kind. They did not. I read about this a couple of years ago, I'll try and find the article.

Murder, rape and robbery are fairly rare, suicide is not. Also, there is a duty to inform people when they may be in danger (serial rapist in the area - don't go walking alone. Lots of Break-ins, lock your windows, etc.) from someone else, but there is no benefit to knowing someone off'd themselves.

you can be in danger if someone is committing suicide. think of people on the receiving end of a jump. maybe reporting suicide on the news, especially failed suicides where people are left alive and in worse off conditions could possibly discourage impulse suicides, bandwagon suicides & suicides that try to make a statement.

Suicide is a funny thing. I believe it was in Washington state somewhere they had two almost identical bridges only a city block or so from one another, which a lot of people jumped off of. They put up suicide guards on one, and expected the other bridges suicide numbers to increase in kind. They did not. I read about this a couple of years ago, I'll try and find the article.

This is a well known phenomenon in San Francisco. From an excellent New Yorker article talking about suicide bridges:

There is a fatal grandeur to the place. Like Paul Alarab, who lived and worked in the East Bay, several people have crossed the Bay Bridge to jump from the Golden Gate; there is no record of anyone traversing the Golden Gate to leap from its unlovely sister bridge. Dr. Richard Seiden, a professor emeritus at the University of California at Berkeley’s School of Public Health and the leading researcher on suicide at the bridge, has written that studies reveal “a commonly held attitude that romanticizes suicide from the Golden Gate Bridge in such terms as aesthetically pleasing and beautiful, while regarding a Bay Bridge suicide as tacky.â€

Full article.

Thanks, Simon.

Isn't it odd? People seem to get the idea that they want to do it "there", and if they can't, they seem to give up on the idea all together in some cases. I guess I won't know why until I feel like killing myself. But that's what you all want, isn't it? Well, too bad; I'm not going anywhere.

This is a grim subject, but it's life. There was a great documentary a couple of years back called "The Bridge" (http://www.thebridge-themovie.com/new/index.html). Set against the Golden Gate Bridge the film maker captures several jumpers but also investigates the lives of those who perished by talking to "the survivors". Very memorable and well done but not a film to pursue if the subject matter disturbs you. I don't recall anything gory being shown although some discussion about the jumpers was a little graphic.

There was a lot of talk about this phenomenon when the "Luminous Veil" was proposed for the Bloor/Danforth Bridge. It goes against logic (you'd figure they'd just pick another bridge to jump off), but it's a very real thing. The Star did a follow up a couple years ago, and suicides onto the DVP dropped substantially once the veil was in place ie. the jumpers didn't just find another bridge. Really a very very odd, completely counter-intuitive thing in my mind, but fascinating.

I have a large and rather mysterious group portrait diptych, painted by Tony Wilson - who committed suicide by jumping off the Viaduct on Labour Day 1991 - propped against the wall in my dining room. Tony was a member of the ChromaZone collective, which lead Toronto's figurative painting movement of the early '80s, and also produced an extensive photographic record of the local art scene in those days.

Back