News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 349     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 910     1 

If you were Premier, what you you do differently?

A

Admiral Beez

When Bob Rae won, I knew I had to get my citizenship in time to vote him out. I voted for Harris (well his rep. in my riding) and he won. I voted for Harris again, and he won. Couldn't stand Harris or Eves by the end, and voted for McGuinty.

Now we have McGuinty, breaking and/or postponing almost every promise he was voted in on.

The question is, let's forget our whining, and instead, what would you do instead in McGuinty's place?

I'm amazed that this broken promises stuff has caught on as much as it has. The Tories acually had the gall to send Liz Witmer out the morning after the election to say that McGuinty had broken his promise to not run a deficit. The Tories had been saying that they had a balanced budget for the whole campaign! Still, it's just as much McGuinty's fault. You don't sort of publicly muse about things like chopping seniors' medical services or putting photo radar on as a cash grab!

If I were McGuinty, I'd break only one promise: that stupid Taxpayers pledge. I'd raise taxes on gas by the 2 cents the cities need, and I'd put on that hotel tax. Oh, and I'd cancel most of the Tories' $5-10 billion in highway spending and transfer most of it to GO and TTC.

As well, not carrying out your promise the first day after the election doesn't mean you've broken it. He has four long years to finish the job.

I don't think any of us would care if he broke the Taxpayer's pledge. We expect gov'ts to increase taxes when necessary.

If I were Premier I would:
A) Not make up lies about my lack of bell ringing at the NYSE
and
B) Get a personality.

Whatever, still better than Harris & Eves I say.

If I were McGuinty, I wouldn't have lied and made 1001 promises before the election. I would have acted more like Hampton, and told it like it really was.

First of all I would pledge that everyone of my decisions would not require a 'study'. Im tired of every politician wasting money studying something for a year, then deciding its too expensive to implement. Politicians wants to study everything, they never want to make a decision. The problem is no matter how much they study something theres always other problems that for some strange reason are never found during the study, and come up afterwards.

I know that it may seem annoying that the government is always studying things before they act, but isn't the biggest complaint about government that they spend money on useless projects? If they studied what they're doing even less, we'd have some pretty spectacular disasters, I think. The worst, though, is when they make these multi-million dollar studies and plans and then throw them on the trash heap when a new government gets elected.

I agree that some studies are needed, but as I said, if you spend several million studying something to find out its simply too expensive, then thats money wasted. I highly doubt a group of people would not be able to crunch some numbers within a month to find out if its cost-worthy for $10,000 or $20,000. Then again Ive never worked at one of those studies so all I can do is give my opinion on what I always see happening.

The majority of the time, a government will request a study simply to buy time and postpone making a decision on something that requires immediate attention. It's politics. Canada seems to be the world capital for ordering study after study, and then more studies to study the studies.

OK:
1, prioritize
2, see what the 'must deal' situation s arm, and start dealing
3, TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE LIBERAL NAME TO ACCOMPLISH GOOD GOVERNMENT (things that Tories would ge crucified for:
a) What's wrong with having a CAT scan or an MRI machine next to an X-ray machine!!! Allow 100% OHIP funded private health care providers, such as are already allowed for with labs. You go see your doctor, you doctor sends you off to the lab for blood work, ordered Ann elcletrocartigram. All done by private enterprise. all paid for by OHIP. But why can we not have MRI machines there?!!?!? We allow 100% full private abortion classics, that are not at all funded by OHIP, but we do ot allow people to have OHIP funded CAT scans and MRIS' s .? This makes sense? Let's hope the Liberals can bring in kind, warm, and fuzzy private enterprise into the health care system, as opposed to evil Tory private enterprise into the system
b, BURN GARBAGE-- not in a evil, Tory way, but instead, in a warm Liberal way, fast -track incineration! Naturally, look to those screwball Europeans to see how it can be done. Produce heat for the buildings downtown, etc.- and all those condos too! HAVE INCINERATION PART OF AN ENERGY Conservation
c) WARM HARTED LIBERAL ENERGY CONSERVATION MEASURES-- incinerate rash as a new source of fuel, that is free and right friggun there, killing 2 birds with none stone. Purchase CANADIAN COAL instead of American coal to fire our generators. Retool; generators -- put in scrubsres. supposedly there are scrubbers, but they've been turned off!!! Something about efficiency being reduced and as Ontario Power Generating is forced to buy US black coal instead of dirt cheap red Atlantic Canadian coal, somehow the production costs got out of whack when the scrubbers were on. I'd suggest switching to Canadian coal, and turn the scrubs on!
4, Take stock of what Ontario does well!! Where do we kick ass-- and do more of that!
5, take stock of where we are becoming an emerging ass kicker! And then do more of that as well
6, see about having TVO become a pay cable station, even though it is free over the air, $0.50 a month, etc. See about taking TVO across the country
7, STOP ALL FEEL GOOD CRAP WITH THE ONTARIO LOTTERY CORPORATION! There is this complete horse poop view that people feel better about gambling if they know funds are going to to a good cause, etc.! BS! People gamble because they want that $30 million jackpot! Lottery money should go o General REVENUES AND GENERAL REVENUES ONLY!! NONE OF THIS FEEL GOOD SH!T !!! OR--if we must have this feel good sh!t, then make that money go to hospitals for the capital programs, etc.
8, give cultural groups an great big thumbs up! :tup: "Keep up the good work! Well done. No money for you, but, hey, well done! We back the arts entirely! All the moral support for you" :tup:
9, NEVER BE A MOTIVATED SELLER --- EVER - OF GOVERNMENT ASSETS!!! If the world knows you're keen on selling, the world will appropriately adjust the price downwards!

I think someone need to OD on Paxil, Prozac and Ritalin - at the same time.

GB

Are Be, you have outdone yourself.

Bravo. Magnificent performance.

Back