News   Sep 10, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Sep 10, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Sep 10, 2024
 628     0 

If Scarborough was De-Amalgamated, what would its own transit system look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A comparison of Scarborough with other non-Toronto GTA 905 municipalities, in terms of density, built form, land use, income level (city's property tax revenue), etc,... would show Scarborough is closer to Pickering-Ajax & Brampton than RichmondHill, Markham, Mississauga and Vaughan.

This comparison is a little tricky for me, because the build form in Scarborough is quite scattershot. There are some areas of Scarborough (McCowan & Brimorton, for example) where you won't find a single store in a 1 km radius, and other areas that are relativity urban, with stores lining the major thoroughfares, or at least plazas within walking distance of residential neighbourhoods.

But Scarborough, unlike Durham, has an abundance of high-rise apartment buildings. So while there may be pockets of Scarborough with no retail in a 1 km radius, there are also high rise buildings with one or two thousand people in them, that might be only a 50 metre or 1o0 metre walk away from a ton of retail choices. So the two extremes in residential housing density balance each other out.

Generally speaking through, I find Scarborough to be quite urban. For example, I don't very often find myself in a situation where I feel like I must drive to find a convenience store or grab a slice of pizza or whatever. Walking is usually an option. I can't really say the same thing about Durham Region.

This comparison is a little tricky for me, because the build form in Scarborough is quite scattershot. There are some areas of Scarborough (McCowan & Brimorton, for example) where you won't find a single store in a 1 km radius, and other areas that are relativity urban, with stores lining the major thoroughfares, or at least plazas within walking distance of residential neighbourhoods.

But Scarborough, unlike Durham, has an abundance of high-rise apartment buildings. So while there may be pockets of Scarborough with no retail in a 1 km radius, there are also high rise buildings with one or two thousand people in them, that might be only a 50 metre or 1o0 metre walk away from a ton of retail choices. So the two extremes in residential housing density balance each other out.

Generally speaking through, I find Scarborough to be quite urban. For example, I don't very often find myself in a situation where I feel like I must drive to find a convenience store or grab a slice of pizza or whatever. Walking is usually an option. I can't really say the same thing about Durham Region.

Scarborough is nothing like Pickering or Ajax. Drive down Lawrence Ave East from Victoria Park to Manse and look at the amount of old density fronting this street. You wont find this in Durham or York region. The City Centre for all the flak it gets here is very well built up compared to any suburb outside of Mississauga's downtown and will expand a greater pace with the subway. Scarborough has various unique needs for a suburb. It's closer to North York in size and population but has a fraction of quality public transit which Is the main tool the City has used to drive higher density. It's a direct neighbour to Metro Toronto, but its Centre has been poorly connected for decades with a questionable RT design and technology. Scarborough is certainly a hybrid urban/suburban area and should be treated as such in revitalization efforts and not with an easy way out standard "suburban" blanket approach.

Last edited:
This is my map for now.

Attachments

• Dream Map.png
    Dream Map.png
    142.2 KB · Views: 218
This is my map for now.
I am not sure what I am looking at
  • I assume the more westerly Blue line is going up Kennedy (although maybe in the GO corridor). It has stops every 700m to 1000m - I am assuming this is a in-median LRT (although it could be grade separated or BRT for all I know).
  • The next N-S Blue line appears to be going up McCowan - same technology I assume.
  • The Orange E-W line is on Ellesmere.
  • The Green line on Neilson and then turning onto Tapscott.
I am also not sure what the goal is. If Scarborough was a stand alone city in the middle of nowhere, or it Scarborough was a stand alone City, right next to Toronto.

Look at the density map to see priorities.
  • Serve Eglinton East. A B-D subway extension to Kinsgton road would have made some sense. Maybe LRT.
  • Serve STC and Malvern. The SRT corridor already exists (basically up to Malvern) so I would have made this the main backbone line, cutting diagonally through Scarborough. Possible branch from Centennial to UTSC.
  • Something East-West along Sheppard or Finch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back