2.7K     2 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 2.5K     0 
News   Aug 30, 2024
 618     0 

If I had my way....

T

thx1038

Theres one thing that stops Toronto from becoming a World class (ex: Paris or Milan or London) Tourist destination…. That is winter.

I think we should build a huge glass dome and shield ourselves from old man winter. High up in the sky, above the CN tower and below the Clouds. The environment condom will use similar technology used in the Rogers Center for opening and closing. We open in the summer and close in the winter.

Think about it, we could be the world’s first environmentally controlled city. People from around the world will visit us not just enjoy what we have, but to be inside the dome!

The cold doesn't seem to prevent NYC and even Chicago from being a "world-class" tourist destination. Where would this "condom" start and end? I'd imagine the air quality would be incredibly poor. :smokin

the cold doesn't stop the zillions of Australians doing the pilgrimage to BC every (northern) winter - it's more a marketing problem (i.e maybe Taranna doesn't market itself all that well during/for the winter? etc).

edit: spkel.

Buckminster Fuller had a similar idea for Toronto with his Geodesic Dome.

"the cold doesn't stop the zillions of Australians doing the pilgrimage to BC every (northern) winter - it's more a marketing problem (i.e maybe Taranna doesn't market itself all that well during/for the winter? etc)."

Ontario doesn't have mountains though.

BTW, New York, London, Paris don't have great winter weather themselves. It can be downright miserable in all 3 cities.

Theres one thing that stops Toronto from becoming a World class (ex: Paris or Milan or London) Tourist destination…. That is winter.

I totally disagree. Many world class cities have nasty winters. There are other more useful things we can do to make TO a more attractive city to visitors rather than building a giant city dome.

Try find a hotel room in Quebec City during the winter carnival.

Though I don't want to appear to be against domes (the dome seems like the winter version of that indoor ski-hill in Dubai), i do like winter in the city, and i'm sorta dissapointed, as i was this year, when it's a mild one with little snow. This brilliant week and yesterday in particular would not have been as magnificent if it wasn't for winter to contrast it. we would never appreciate that spring freedom, when we feel unheavy as we walk outside for the first time with no coats, and the sun warms bare arms. people in horrible places like florida miss out on this feeling.

also, i have a theory (which i now have to back up with some research) that cold weather climates generate good cultural things.

Yes... that's what I try to express to people when I tell them I prefer our climate to some tropical locale, where it's always 28 C and either sunny or raining. I find the yearly contrast refreshing.

the problem with winter is that the city feels DEAD and colourless in contrast to warm weather... Toronto needs more warm lights in the winter and more public art!
the grayness of winter doesnt do it for me!

the problem with winter is that the city feels DEAD and colourless in contrast to warm weather... Toronto needs more warm lights in the winter and more public art!

So true. Toronto is very drab and grey in the winter, it can be downright depressing. There is no foliage, no greenery, no flowers to soften the harsh concrete landscape of the city. I recently met a number of first-time visitors who commented on this... I told them they chose the wrong time to come.

also, i have a theory (which i now have to back up with some research) that cold weather climates generate good cultural things.

... like hockey.

"So true. Toronto is very drab and grey in the winter, it can be downright depressing. There is no foliage, no greenery, no flowers to soften the harsh concrete landscape of the city. I recently met a number of first-time visitors who commented on this... I told them they chose the wrong time to come."

Precisely why I think the city needs some more evergreens. I love the leafy trees of summer but they don't accomplish much the other half of the year.

Back