News   Jul 26, 2024
 978     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.6K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.4K     3 

Iced tea - why no unsweetened version in Canada

The Tea Emporium has excellent quality estate loose teas ( I like their Kenyan Milima, though it is expensive ). I make my own blend from two leaf teas I buy at Kohinoor Foods on Gerrard at Ashdale - equal quantities of the strong one ( in the shiny deep blue foil package ) and the floral one ( in the transparent package with the red and yellow label ). I forget the names.

Iced tea? We didn't drink it much in England. Hot tea on a hot day and I sweat like a pig - always fun to induce that!

Thanks; I'll check it out. It's been on my list of places to visit but so far I haven't managed to get there.

The prices there are very good, not only for tea - I buy large bags of almonds, raisins etc. for making my blend of breakfast cereal.

Almost all Chinese restaurants provide free iced tea during the summer and I am pretty sure it is unsweetened. No ice though. And you have to order food of course.

The Tea Emporium has excellent quality estate loose teas ( I like their Kenyan Milima, though it is expensive ). I make my own blend from two leaf teas I buy at Kohinoor Foods on Gerrard at Ashdale - equal quantities of the strong one ( in the shiny deep blue foil package ) and the floral one ( in the transparent package with the red and yellow label ). I forget the names.
Kohinoor Foods? I'll have to check that out; it's quite close to me. What is the deep blue one like by itself? I've wandered around BJs looking for tea, but nothing ever really jumped out at me; but I haven't checked across the road.

The tea in the deep blue foil package is STRONG ( fine grained and heavy ) and the other one ( large fragrant leaves, loosely packed ) is light. They go well together. Urban Shocker's Blend!

I use equal amounts - but don't mix them in a batch beforehand because they will separate out and the finer grained strong tea will sink to the bottom of your container. Just spoon one of each into the teapot. And if you make a large pot of tea it won't get that bitter taste if it sits for 20 minutes or more.

You should get them to package it and give you royalties. Although I guess that wouldn't work since you can't really mix them. Perhaps it could come in a double pouch or something.

Back in the Jurassic Era when I was a small and perfectly behaved English schoolboy they used to provide little blue bags of salt in the potato chip bags ( "Smith's Crisps" ). Once the Empire finally disappeared so did the little blue bags. Britain has been going downhill ever since.

I thought they've still had the Smith's-with-salt-bag as a "retro" thing.

Oh, and as for unsweetened: not sure how the advent of mass-market green-tea-in-a-can qualifies...

I loathe how bought ice tea (whether brewed fresh in a cafe or pre-packaged) in Canada is automatically assumed to go with lemon. I prefer loose leaf Lipton's Yellow Label tea homemade sweetened with stevia and garnished with peppermint leaves. (Actually, with a Southern background, I find any iced tea sold north of DC to be pathetic.:) Well, with the exception of Seattle's Chai House--their iced chai is amazing :D Although I do make a good knock off at home.)

Last edited:
Kohinoor Foods? I'll have to check that out; it's quite close to me. What is the deep blue one like by itself? I've wandered around BJs looking for tea, but nothing ever really jumped out at me; but I haven't checked across the road.

The tea in the blue foil bag is strong Mamri from Kenya ( packed by Kitimai Tea & Coffee Co, Finch Avenue West ):

http://img83.imageshack.us/i/bassamctcmamrit5jc.jpg/?a=V&ci=0&rt=2

The lighter, large leaf tea is Sunrise Orange Pekoe A grade Gold Label Pure Ceylon ( M&M Twins Ltd. Canada ), packed in Sri Lanka.

The tea in the blue foil bag is strong Mamri from Kenya ( packed by Kitimai Tea & Coffee Co, Finch Avenue West ):

http://img83.imageshack.us/i/bassamctcmamrit5jc.jpg/?a=V&ci=0&rt=2

The lighter, large leaf tea is Sunrise Orange Pekoe A grade Gold Label Pure Ceylon ( M&M Twins Ltd. Canada ), packed in Sri Lanka.
Thanks; I've actually been getting the Kitmai Tea occasionally from the Chocoloate Box on Donlands; though I don't recall the bag being blue. It's quite a good strong tea (for those that like that ... wouldn't recommend it without sugar!). Sometimes I've been mixing such teas with an Assam tea ...

I'll have to check out the Sunrise ...

I drink strong tea without sugar, now I'm curious ... I'll definitely have to give it a try!

I cut back on adding sugar to tea and coffee, and eventually eliminated it completely, many years ago. I stopped adding salt to meals about five years ago when I realized how heavily salted they already are.

Tea with lemon is nice in the hot weather.

Back