2.1K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 4K     5 

I finally did it! I sold my car...

G

GregWTravels

I made a deal today that will see me rid of my 7 year old car, during which time I'd only managed to put 45,000 km on it. For the first time in almost 11 years (and having lived in central Toronto for 9 years), I will be without a car and dependent solely on my feet and the TTC to get around. And I couldn't be happier.

I am basically a lazy person. So it's quite amazing that my desire to get rid of my car actually overcame my general inertia.

Only 45,000 km in 7 years?! I've done about 12,000 km in the past year just on my bike.

I finally did it! I sold my car...

Good man! Now get a bike with a mud-flap, a good lock (Kryptonite is good), a helmet and check out the City of Toronto website for everything you need to know

City of Toronto Cycling

In 2 or 3 weeks your endurance will improve, you'll feel great and your heart & lungs with thank you!

Cars are the worst investments you can make. The lose value very quickly.

"Gee, I'm glad I didn't sell my car"
campbell_kim.jpg

Cars are the worst investments you can make. The lose value very quickly.

Cars are not investments, they are expenses. It's amazing how many people see them as "poor investments", a lot of times it's the people who finance cars critising those who lease because of all the money they're throwing away, when they just turn around and use they're freshly paid off vehicle as a trade-in (getting them peanuts) and start the cycle all over again. If I lived in the city I still don't think I could go without a car, I'd probably want something like a Focus ZX3, or maybe a Yaris/FIT/Aveo shoebox on wheels type deal.

Congrats on going car-less... it might be a good idea to try to get a gold card that covers your insurance on rentals so at least when you do have to rent a car or van for whatever reason you won't get killed paying for it daily from the rental company.

In 2 or 3 weeks your endurance will improve, you'll feel great and your heart & lungs with thank you!

Actually, I mostly walk when I am going to my office, which takes about an hour and 15 minutes.

it might be a good idea to try to get a gold card that covers your insurance on rentals

Already done.

I've also been thinking about Zip Car, for short term rentals (a couple of hours), as insurance is already included.

Greg

You are going to have so much more money in your pocket and be a much happier person now - you'll see! I don't miss my car one bit, and nothing beats downtown living!

Even though I live downtown, I have no choice but to own a car since my job requires it. Fortunately the car allowance makes it much more affordable. I won't be the first to admit that sometimes it's great to be able to turn on the AC, play your favourite song, and head wherever you want, even if you could just as easily have taken the TTC. I don't feel guilty because I never substitute walking for driving. Since I still live in the city, I walk the vast majority of the time and enjoy it quite a lot.

Congratulations, Greg!

Do you have a bike, or do you walk/transit everywhere?

Greg: I have a friend who did the same thing. He worked and lived downtown and felt it was time to sell the car. Things were great for a couple of years but then he got a new job outside the city. He decided to buy a car to commute cause public transit was not convenient. He called around for quotes on car insurance and they were double or even triple what he was paying before. I suggest you keep your auto insurance cause more time accident free will reduce your premiums. Once you stop your insurance, you have to start at the beginning and this could be very expensive.

You can be added as an occasional driver on someone else's policy (eg. parents). It usually doesn't cost anything. That's what I did when I lived downtown and had no need for a car.

If you don't have a car, can you have insurance?

Why do you want insurance if you don't have a car? Whenever you drive another vehicle as long as you have the permission of the operator to do so their insurance will cover you (unless you've been specifically excluded, commercial fleet policies will also probably exclude drivers who don't work for the company). It's a myth that you need to have insurance or your rates will go up when you finally get it. As long as you've had insurance at some point (and can prove it, and your licence hasn't lapsed for any reason) insurance companies cannot hold it against you. So you could move to the city, ditch your car and cancel your insurance, then 10 years later start up an insurance policy and you'll still be entitled to the same rates you would had you have been insured the whole time, of course just about every insurance company has a rule that if your last policy was cancelled for non-payment or by the insurance company they will be able to hold that against you.

Back