News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 465     0 

Hurontario St (Hwy 10) and QEW Interchange

I took a trip on the GO bus to Hamilton and back yesterday and I wanted to bump this post with some observations.

This project, which is really part of a project to widen the whole QEW must be one of the largest construction works going on in the GTA right now. There are so many rebuilt bridges, interchanges, retaining walls, drainage systems and sound barriers going in, the amount of change is astonishing if you don't regularly travel the route.

The Hurontario interchange is getting pretty close to completion from what I saw. As well, the one at Bronte Road, which looks like it involved a total reallignment of the road, is moving along. I could see covered up HOV lane signs installed through sections of highway in Burlington and Oakville. The road resurfacing in this area isn't quite done yet, but the new jersey barriers are in place, with the cutouts for OPP cruisers to sit in and monitor the use of the HOV lane.

Work is still going on at the the bridges over the Credit and 16-mile creek. I'm not sure what they are ultimately doing here. Are they just repairing the old bridges and then shifting one direction of traffic back? The Elizabeth Regina lampposts are a nice touch. They added them on rebuilt bridges in St. Catherines and Niagara too. On the 403 in Hamilton, I noticed that all new overhead signs are installed with clearance in the grassy centre median for an extra lane to be added in the future too.

I cross a parclo near where I live every once in a while, and it is no fun. Cars on the street crossing the highway zoom into the ramps, and there is no indication at where the sidewalk meets the road who has right-of-way. And then cars turning right off the exit ramp without regard to pedestrians who may be crossing.

Tell me that the 403-Hurontario or 401-Hurontario interchanges are fun to cross!

Even with the tunnel (which is likely there because not because of the cloverleaf set up, but because the underpass is too narrow), there are many worse interchanges in the GTA. The best "urban" interchange is likely a simple diamond interchange or slip-ramps off reconfigured service roads.

There is no sidewalk for the 401.

Traffic refuse to yield to pedestrians in the first place.

They added a east sidewalk of all things at the QEW now and tunnel is history.

On a cold windy day, it's a bitch to use the bridges. In the winter, it worse.

MTO doesn't believe in pedestrians.

There's information on the interchange near the bottom of this page on Cameron Bevers's excellent King's Highway site.

Another person who uses the silly nomenclature that describes the 905 cities as being rural areas. Looking north up "Hwy. 10" towards "Cooksville" and south towards "Port Credit." You would think a roadgeek who knows that 10 is no longer a highway would use proper terminology. ANNOYING!

The site is a history of King's Highways (though he took all the great written histories off-line in anticipation of books he never yet published) - he uses the Highway descriptions as they were before all the downloads in 1997-1998.

Another person who uses the silly nomenclature that describes the 905 cities as being rural areas. Looking north up "Hwy. 10" towards "Cooksville" and south towards "Port Credit." You would think a roadgeek who knows that 10 is no longer a highway would use proper terminology. ANNOYING!

What do you call a 7 lane road in the middle of a city?? What about cutting it in haft??

At the same time, 70km is the norm with no thought to pedestrians or cycles.

I call it a highway.

I assume he is referring to the name of the road, rather than it's legal status, as by definition even a cul-de-sac is a highway. The name of the road is simply Hurontario Street. It is neither a numbered provincial highway, nor a numbered regional road.

I assume he is referring to the name of the road, rather than it's legal status, as by definition even a cul-de-sac is a highway. The name of the road is simply Hurontario Street. It is neither a numbered provincial highway, nor a numbered regional road.

Correct. Although one may refer to it as "Formerly Highway 10".

I still like to jokingly refer to Bloor + Avenue Rd as being the junction of Hwys 5 and 11A.

Frankly, the kinds of roadgeeks you're talking about are adolescent and preadolescent twerps who are historically ignorant and have always associated "highwayness" as a primarily 400-series sort of thing...

I still like to jokingly refer to Bloor + Avenue Rd as being the junction of Hwys 5 and 11A.

Frankly, the kinds of roadgeeks you're talking about are adolescent and preadolescent twerps who are historically ignorant and have always associated "highwayness" as a primarily 400-series sort of thing...

Okay I'm neither adolescent nor preadolescent and to me a highway is a 400-series highway.

Okay, so you're historically ignorant and/or insensitive. To me, a highway can be a Route 66 thing as well...

Not ignorant. I grew up just around the corner from Hurontario Street and always knew of people calling it Highway 10, even though all the signs, even as a child, always said Hurontario Street. If someone says "are you going to take the highway" you think of the 401 or the QEW, not Dundas (formerly Highway 5).

Not ignorant. I grew up just around the corner from Hurontario Street and always knew of people calling it Highway 10, even though all the signs, even as a child, always said Hurontario Street. If someone says "are you going to take the highway" you think of the 401 or the QEW, not Dundas (formerly Highway 5).

I still call it 5 and 10 today for that intersection.

I still call it 5 and 10 today for that intersection.

10 i can understand because there's the odd Highway 10 sign still up. But I have never seen a Highway 5 sign in Mississauga.

If you said Highway 5, no one would even know what you're talking about!

Back