News   Jul 17, 2024
 544     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 640     0 

HtO Park (Central Waterfront)

This was never meant to be a place for people to go swimming in Lake Ontario. Noone is that foolish (lets hope).

I've never swam in the harbour, but I've been swimming in Lake Ontario (i.e. Centre Island, Hanlans's Point, Cherry Beach) for 30 years and never had a problem. My dogs love it too. When ecoli levels are high and beaches are closed we don't swim then, that's just common sense.

The HtO project was supposed to have a water feature and steps down to the water which looked like they could be used for wading. The steps were removed and replaced with a boardwalk which matches the one at Harbourfront Centre. There is no sign of a water feature that I can see.

This was never meant to be a place for people to go swimming in Lake Ontario. Noone is that foolish (lets hope).

Lake Ontario is clean except where the rivers discharge. I wouldn't want to mess with the silt on the bottom of the harbour though.

http://www.cnw.ca/fr/releases/archive/June2007/06/c9308.html

Re: HTO sign - last I was there there was something at the entrance covered in black plastic. I assumed it was an HTO sign.... cant wait to see it.

Re: swimming in the harbour - I live right by HTO, and have never seen anyone go into the water (it has been mentioned here that swimming in the harbour is illegal). No matter how clean officials say the water is, it still is not swimming clean along the central waterfront. There is so much garbage in the slips. I just cant see anyone going into the lake from HTO.

I must agree - the place looks great right now (esp. @ night when the place is flooded in coloured lights), but I stand by my point that if not attended to, this park is going to look like a dive much sooner than later.

I would think the fact that there are tons of boats criss crossing the inner harbour is more of a safety issue for swimmers then the actual water quality.

pix

Images are beginning to appear on Flickr. Looks good. Can't wait to see it when I return.

A few pics (not mine):

536195533_8de3bce2b4.jpg

536173141_3db50356e0.jpg

Too bad it doesn't follow the original vision of the steps leading into the water. Would have been great to tip your toes on hot summer days.

See:
beach.jpg

I passed by and I love it. no complaints. though I do agree that maintenance will be something to follow. the only thing missing now is an ice cream/cold drink set up. (or bar.)

True but at least now it has a board walk which is consistent with the other sections of the new and improved waterfront.

I don't see why maintenance should be an issue. The city has done a good job of keeping parks like the Music Garden in fine shape. Can't wait to see this in person.

Beautiful! An excellent addition of public space to the central waterfront. From the sky the site looks almost like a mini-golf zone!

Back