980     2 

How to lose a business friend

B

billy corgan19982

From The Star

How to lose a business friend
Feb. 17, 2006. 08:27 AM
ROYSON JAMES

In most towns, business is king. The local chamber of commerce wields considerable clout.

The mayor does his utmost to coddle businesses and make sure the local employer is extremely happy, lest the company closes its doors and scores of townfolk are put out of work.

But here, where we've lost 100,000 jobs in the last decade and only two office towers have been erected over the same period? Here, we stomp on our business "friends."

City councillors met yesterday to get public feedback on the 2006 budget.

By the budget chief's score card, the 37 people or groups who showed up at city hall can be grouped this way:

Twenty-six wanted to spend more; three wanted to spend less; three had ideas and four "offered support for what we are doing now; and "one we couldn't figure out" what was wanted, said Councillor David Soknacki.

But instead of being pleased with the near-unanimous endorsement, councillors attacked three of the four advocates for business.

They peppered Tasha Kheiriddin of the little-known Canadian Taxpayers Federation. Refreshingly, she fought back.

Raise user fees, raise TTC fares and cut taxes, she told them — an unpalatable brew for Mayor David Miller and his NDP ruling party. In fact, it's unpalatable to the majority of us. But the view should be welcomed, especially when the city is still $212 million short of a balanced budget.

Instead, Miller saved the most virulent attacks for Glen Grunwald and the Toronto Board of Trade. It was the board of trade that launched a letter-writing campaign to Ottawa to seek a new deal for the city. So one would have expected Miller to cut them some slack.

Grunwald presented a 19-page brief on the city budget. Queen's Park should upload the costs of social housing and social services, he said, agreeing with Miller. But council must swallow some bitter pills. For example, adopt and implement more than 800 recommendations from the city auditor. Rethink spending on new programs. Increase user pay by $300 million. And look at privatizing some services.

In total, it was as good a response as one expects from a business lobby.

But Miller lit into Grunwald and challenged the president of the board on detail after detail, belittled his claim of $300 million being available in user fees, and topped it off with this flourish:

"You've now just agreed with about two-thirds to three-quarters of our budget. All your other comments relate to the final quarter. And I hope, I mean the board of trade is a pretty sophisticated organization, I hope that next year you can help us by analyzing that part and offering more helpful suggestions."

Rarely have we seen such a public dressing down. And even after that, Grunwald took the high road, saying he was at a disadvantage because he doesn't know the nitty-gritty of the budget and "the mayor is a smart man."

Not smart enough, though, to know how to treat his friends.

David Fleet, representing the Toronto Office Coalition, a group that wants tax rates for businesses lowered to stem the flow of jobs out of Toronto, was aghast at what happened.

"The board of trade is generally supportive of Miller and the city. If there's any criticism, it's that it's too supportive. Attacking them from the left? I don't understand the politics, the economics and the social conscience of it."

Miller said he was just trying to "clarify the facts."

"Today's presentation really didn't befit the role they have as city-builders."

Well, excuse us.

Members of the public come to city hall to give their views on the budget. They don't have to be learned, cogent, credible or sensible. It's how democracy works. Councillors listen and work to find common ground in their arguments. That's how it's done at city hall.

Unless you are a member of a business group whose message is: get your financial house in order, then go to Queen's Park for help.

The board of trade, the Canadian Taxpayers Federation and the Canadian Federation of Independent Business voiced that message and were treated like skunks at a garden party.

Has this little band of city rulers grown so arrogant after two years in power?

so toronto losing 100000 jobs in 10 years is somehow miller's fault? it had nothing to do with the supposedly business-friendly mel lastman, who was mayor most of that time? IIRC toronto's been gaining jobs the last couple years, ie. since miller took power.

it's no surprise that the taxpayer's federation wants to raise taxes for people they don't like (transit riders, people who use community services) and lower them for people they do like (property owners, drivers). haven't TTC fares been raised enough? does business not rely on the TTC?

I think the article does raise some good points about the city doing more to get it's own house in order before going to the province for money. Toronto's argument would be stronger if they were seen to be doing more to fix their own problems.

The argument for a provincial bailout is weakened when Miller refuses to raise residential property taxes beyond 3% and refuses to make cuts or find other efficiencies. Something has to budge.

It doesn't help that Toronto is promising to stick to a 3% residential increase when other 905 cities are raising thier taxes.

Mississuaga just increased residential property taxes by 5.9%.

true enough, but any good points in the column are hidden behind the additude that the anti-business NDP city council are doing their best to scare away as much business as they can.

and only two office towers have been erected over the same period?

Maritime Life, Rogers Campus Expansion, TransAmerica Life, Canada Life are four towers that I can think of in the last five years.

^ They could have meant downtown (excludes TransAmerica) and Rogers could have been considered expansion rather than new. I guess it's all in the interpretation of what was said.

905 has had substantially more square feet of commercial space built the last five years than 416.

The CDN Taxpayers Federation? They've been skunks at the the party, across Canada, for a long time. Might as well quote the Fraser Institute.

My Ryerson professor quotes Royson James like gospel at the beginning of every class. He had the nerve to say that 'even a strong supporter of the mayor like Royson James is beginning to be critical of the mayor'. This comment could be excused if the Professor had not read almost every article that RJ wrote. About 50 out of the last 60 RJ articles were primarily anti Miller criticism pieces, he always finds a way to link every story to something Miller did wrong. I'm sure the (Liberal) Star has something to do with this. Royson's articles make Toronto's claims to poverty seem false and thereby take pressure off McGuinty.
Royson (& my professor) say that Toronto is living in dreamland by attempting to ask the Province to pay its share of the mandated cost-shared services because there is no way that the Province is going to pay. Their solution is to cut services, but unlike the Canadian Taxpayers Federation neither RJ or my professor mention which ones, other than hints about contracting out.
I would love to see Royson James column the day Miller decides to raise property taxes and cut a couple of hundred million dollars worth of services from the Toronto budget or watches employees revolt as he decides to have the city engage in an innocent study on contracting out. There are some ways to make a little money, such as lotteries and parking taxes, increase user fees, but there is no free lunch, and any move that Miller makes will be fodder for the next RJ story.

I don't think Miller's the greatest mayor, but the Toronto budget has not been very unsustainable since amalgamation and downloading. I can understand why Miller gets upset when the board of Trade says there is fat to cut. It undermines one's case to the Province when your trade board and local paper are saying that there's lots of fat to cut.

Our Board of Trade is more progressive and helpful than the boards of trades in most other cities which are often indistinguishable from the Canadian taxpayers federation. Still I disagree with most, (not all) board of trade postions.

LOL! I wonder which prof. you're talking about. Wait, don't tell me!

AoD

This professor often works with Tedco, Urban Development Institute, IBI etc, and lives in Aurora. He knows a lot of interesting things that are going on at these awful agencies but never tells us anything about them in his lectures. The other professors may not allow us to quote them in the media on sensitive issues, but at least they inform us of how things work at the various agencies. The only tidbits we get is the interesting happenings in Aurora relating to politics and development. Pretty bad stuff, but Vaughan has them beat.

Back