2.4K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

How long until next subway train: Tokyo Simple Solution

G

GregWTravels

I just got back from a couple weeks in Japan. Tokyo is amazing. I'll post some pictures once I get them all organized and uploaded.

Now, I am a big fan of anything that indicates when the next subway train is coming. I've seen implementations in many places using lightboards saying when the next train (or two) is coming. Like many places, Tokyo has those, but not in ever station.

In stations without the lightboards, they have a sign with all the times that the subways will arrive at the station beside a clock.

2006%2007%2012..g%20Chart.JPG

Of course, it requires the trains to run on time. In Tokyo they do, and it's a very easy way to know when the next train is coming.

Now, I know that the TTC does this at bus stops. I wonder why they've never done it in the subway.

Greg

The subway doesn't run on a schedule, instead it uses "timing points". Say the scheduled frequency of the line is every 4mins 52sec; at a timing point the signal will only turn green 4mins 52sec after the previous train passed that point.

Such a system allows for much more flexibility in the frequency and operation, but only works in high-frequency situations with minimal or no branch operations.

I don't think they do it in the subway here because the frequency is considered high enough that wait times for trains are not significant. You also know here that every arriving train will be going to the same place, as opposed to every second or third train branching off on a different route for example.

It would be awfully handy on late-night subway rides, especially determining when the last subway leaves before the line closes for the night.

I would love for them to have a more technological way, like a countdown clock. Would it be very very expensive? Although, if they have budget constaints, this isn't on the top of their priority list. It makes sense, though, that because there are no separate branch lines, there's less of a need. I personally just like to know that one is indeed coming.

I've mentioned this before that I think the total absense of conversation about wait time signaling by the TTC illustrates a fundamental flaw in their operations. Even if wait times are frequent and therefore unnecessary from the perspective of a technical cost benefit, they are absolutely essential for public relations and hence essential for driving upward ridership numbers. On the cost side I understand that they might have to spend some bucks but in this day and age with wireless connections etc. you should be able to get some engineering students to rig up a demo for 20,000 bucks.

I know basically nothing about computers but can't they say partner with Toronto Hydro to set up a wireless hub in each subway station. For the privalege of allowing Toronto Hydro to use their space and hence offer service to all those subway riding lap-top folks, they piggy-back the signal put a transponder on each subway car, with the help of a relay or two have the subway train send a signal wireless to one of those flat screen tv's in the station counting down the time till arrival. They could network the entire system over the internet for minimal cost unless my naivety is blinding me to some obstacle.

I think that Tokyo timetable is pretty hard to read. They should post it on a wall, not on an overhead box like that.

As for our version of a subwy arrival time display, I thought half the technology was already in place with the OneStop media screens. The screens have been used on several occasions in the past to show real-time updates on subway train delays, so the logical next step is for the screens to count down the arrival time of the next train.

Hey, if Viva could have real-time arrival screens, there's no reason why the TTC can't have it too.

Not to be a party-pooper but I think the TTC has better things to spend money on. Even late at night trains are no more than about 6 min. apart maximum, so a statistical average "expected" wait time would be in the order of 3 min. This really isn't a big deal. This technology would be greeted with greater enthusiasm on some of the late night bus routes in the burbs (as per Viva bus stops in York Region).

On the cost side I understand that they might have to spend some bucks...

Real-time arrival information is available with the new signaling system (early 2007?) and they were going to use the video advertising displays for presenting the data. I believe this is still the plan for the stations which have video screens installed.

Good enws! How many stations have the TVs now? And will every station have one eventually?

I agree with those who say that countdown timers for something as frequent as Toronto's subways is not very useful.

"Even if wait times are frequent and therefore unnecessary from the perspective of a technical cost benefit, they are absolutely essential for public relations and hence essential for driving upward ridership numbers."

Oh please, as if you've ever heard someone say "I'd switch to the subway if only they'd install 'next train' countdowns." The only time they'd be useful is for the last train of the night.

Attracting new riders shouldn't be the only justification for changing anything on the TTC. Countdown clocks would be a great feature that would make riding easier for existing travellers. Just about every system in Europe has them.

Oh, well, if Europe has them, then we need them, too.

You're right. Their systems have far higher ridership and are far more comfortable than ours. Just about every significant transit innovation has come from Europe.

Back