News   May 31, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 31, 2024
 772     0 

How far/long do you walk to transit?

Electrify

Member Bio
Reaction score
There has been a lot of discussion here recently about accessibility to transit, and was wondering how far most of you travel to get to your transit route?

For me, while there is a local bus stop a few minutes away at the top of the street (200m - 86 Weldrick-Newkirk), it is very infrequent and unreliable. Therefore I tend to go out to Yonge St and catch the bus from there (Viva Blue or 99 Yonge) - which is 1.6km away, or a 20 minute walk or a 10 minute bike ride (includes time spent locking up my bike).

Last edited:
For me the ttc 106 is 200m away but I'll often walk 1km to the York university busway since the 196 runs every 4 mins there, and viva orange runs from there as well. I find that walking 1km gets me to downsview faster since the 106 is so slow. In the winter I will usually take the 106 though since it's often way too cold to walk.

Right now, I'm lucky enough to live 400m away from the main bus terminal in Kitchener.

For getting to work, I can take either the 7D/E, or the iXpress, both of which operate on 15 minute frequency. In july they're going to increase the iXpress frequency to 10 minutes, which will be a lot nicer for those times that I see the bus pull away as I'm walking up.

Currently, about 100m, which is nice.

Previously, about 80m, but I often walked 675m to catch the 506 instead of the 501 (depending on my destination).

Before that, 150m to the bus or 1.4km to the subway.

Bus Stop: 168 Symington = 70 - 160m (Depending on which way I'm going, which stop I use)
Subway Station: Dundas West = 650m. Also serves King and Dundas streetcars, and Junction bus.
Subway Station: Lansdowne = 660m. I use this if I'm heading eastbound.
GO Station: Bloor = 380m.

Most of my transit usage involves walking to Dundas West station. That's about a 6min walk, I think. I occasionally hop on the Symington bus if it happens to be coming by when I'm in a hurry, if the weather is terrible, or if I'm carrying something heavy.

I live at Wellesley and Parliament, but I almost never bother with the 94 Wellesley or 65 Parliament buses that stop right outside my door. Most of the time I walk 1.2 km to Wellesley station. If I'm going east or west or somewhere on the Spadina line I'll walk 700m to Sherbourne station. The 506 streetcar is also 550m away.

I walk about 900m (10 min walk) to the Steeles West Bus (60), then take the subway down. I coudl take the 28 YRT which is less than 30m away from my doorstep, but I'm not paying the extra 3.50 on-top of the $3.00 for TTC. It's a shame really, if there was integration, Im sure the 28 YRT would be filled each day, and reduce the congestion on the 60 steeles bus enough to make it bareable.

Bus stop about 25m
Subway (Wellesley) 5 minute walk, about 1000m
Streetcar (Carlton) 7 or 8 minute walk

I walk about 900m (10 min walk) to the Steeles West Bus (60), then take the subway down. I coudl take the 28 YRT which is less than 30m away from my doorstep, but I'm not paying the extra 3.50 on-top of the $3.00 for TTC. It's a shame really, if there was integration, Im sure the 28 YRT would be filled each day, and reduce the congestion on the 60 steeles bus enough to make it bareable.
That is quite true. The ridership on the 60 and 53 could mainly be people not wanting to pay TTC fare along with YRT fare, probably the same reason why some bus stops on Steeles where some routes that terminate north of Toronto are mainly filled with people not wanting to pay extra fare and probably for better frequency

I ride my bike, rain, shine or snow 1.5 Km to Malton GO station (10 min); because I don't want to pay 65 cents and have to wait for Mississauga transit.

Then I walk 2.1km from Union to Ryerson University @ Gerrard/Church (30 mins); because I don't want to pay a TTC fair on top of my already expensive GO transit fare.

The point here is transit is accessible, but not affordable, especially in the suburbs.:(

Back