News   Jul 16, 2024
 588     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 557     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 688     2 

How bad driving habits are causing GTA traffic gridlock

There is an obvious problem when drivers see these painted lines on the pavement.

3-4.jpg

The broken lines in the top image mean to me that the driver's could, but really not supposed to, be able to move right, pass other automobiles, and then move left into the main traffic flow.

It would be better if a solid line was used in the first image to tell drivers in the main traffic not to use the merging lane as a passing lane.

Like this image, but in white.
17.gif

Again, it comes down to highway design.

There is an obvious problem when drivers see these painted lines on the pavement.

3-4.jpg

The broken lines in the top image mean to me that the driver's could, but really not supposed to, be able to move right, pass other automobiles, and then move left into the main traffic flow.

It would be better if a solid line was used in the first image to tell drivers in the main traffic not to use the merging lane as a passing lane.

17.gif

People already know they are not allowed to do that, and the new line paintings don't particularly change things.

They do use the thick dashed line but the above image spells it out even clearer. While I agree dipping into the exiting lanes to pass is dangerous and bad practice, merging early is as well.

Are you referring to something like this?
hwy401-1034_lg.jpg

These are new markings used on two-lane exit ramps. They discourage traffic on the rightmost lane to switch lanes on the exit because that lane both exits and goes through as mainline traffic.

We're also starting to use some arrow markings on the pavement too :p
hwy401-1032_lg.jpg

Progress is progress, but driver education is #1.

It would be crazy expensive, and involve 'big government', but one way to make our roads safe and efficient is have drivers take a road test every time they renew their license.

It would be crazy expensive, and involve 'big government', but one way to make our roads safe and efficient is have drivers take a road test every time they renew their license.
Could also make the testing tougher. Surely you should need 100% on the written portion - at least on some sections. I really don't want the person who thought cars have right-of-way over pedestrians licensed, even if they did get the other questions right!

3-4.jpg

17.gif

You are correct for the first 2 cases, it is just the cost of paint that is stopping this from being done.

For the first situation, the solid line would be on the speed change lane (SCL) side (top), while the dotted line would be for the through lane side. This way cars could enter the speed change lane, but not get back.

For the middle situation, the lines would be reverse so the dotted line would be on the speed change lane side. Vehicles could not enter the SCL from the through lane.

For the final example with the weaving lane, lines could not solve the situation since vehciles are supposed to be entering and exiting the SCL at roughly the same location. I do not think we have as many of these situations as the first 2.

I and not sure, but I think the white lines are legal, while the yellow are warning (it works that way with signs), in which case a ticket can be issued for crossing a solid white line.

Canadians predominantly drive automatics, Europeans predominantly drive standard. When German car makers prepare their cars for the N.A. market they have to retrofit with cupholders etc.

I love the 8 cupholders in my Mazda 3, great for road trips ;) (I know, not German). Mine is standard, the automatic version also has 8.

Coming from Toronto, it is fairly relaxing to drive in Vancouver. The only issue I have with Lower Mainland drivers is the persistent need to be in the left lane. The people I carpool with are aslo left lane hogs. When the highways are not heavily congested, I'd say there's 5 drivers in the left lane for every 1 in the right lane. A lot of the time there are cars in the left lane going the same speed as those in the right side by side, thereby making passing impossible and slowing down all the traffic behind. The "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs here should be replaced with the more common "Keep Right Except to Pass" signs.

Back