How bad driving habits are causing GTA traffic gridlock

M II A II R II K

Member Bio
Reaction score
How bad driving habits are causing GTA traffic gridlock

September 02, 2012

By San Grewal

thestar_logo.gif

Read More: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/art...iving-habits-are-causing-gta-traffic-gridlock

“We need to create a culture of disciplined driving,†says Professor Baher Abdulhai, director of the Intelligent Transportation Systems Centre at the University of Toronto. The economic cost of congestion in the GTA is pegged at upwards of $6 billion a year. And there is also the cost of lost family time and inactivity. Road pricing and public transit are seen as ways to fix things. But could simply improving our driving habits make a difference?

- Abdulhai says GTA drivers need to know that refusing to let drivers merge, rubbernecking, speeding into already congested areas and driving the wrong speed in a lane need to be viewed as much more than just bad driving. “Driving behaviour has an impact on traffic congestion. It makes everything worse. It’s not the silver bullet to fix traffic congestion, but if you combine the right systems with disciplined driving, a 25 to 30 per cent reduction in congestion is possible.â€

- That’s the target traffic experts such as Abdulhai are trying to achieve: when traffic volume through a typical stretch of highway hits maximum capacity (about 2,200 vehicles per hour per lane), flow drops to zero, resulting in complete gridlock. It takes a significant reduction in traffic to get things moving again, he explains. Without such a reduction, gridlock will continue to cost the GTA. According to a 2010 study for the Toronto Board of Trade, the average GTA commute was 80 minutes, the worst in North America, and according to study done for Metrolinx, traffic congestion will cost the GTA and Hamilton area economy $15 billion by 2031.

- When approaching a known congestion zone such as an accident or construction area, drivers often accelerate before braking hard once they are very near the stopped car ahead. But research shows that this approach speeds up the amount of time it takes all cars to reach stopped traffic by pushing the so-called line of zero movement further away from the congestion cause. In other words cars are forced to stop sooner and for longer. It then takes much longer for all traffic to begin moving again. A smooth traffic flow keeps the line of zero movement to a smaller area, trapping fewer vehicles.

- Abdulhai says bad driving habits, such as tailgating, which causes sharp braking and a domino effect that leads to stop-and-go traffic, should be addressed through education. But he stresses that better traffic systems, such as metered lights at on-ramps, congestion pricing and proper speed limits also need to be implemented. In Germany, the driver’s test is so difficult (requiring months of preparation) that the U.S. army recently complained to German authorities about the failure rate of its members and their spouses who are based there but cannot drive. Abdulhai says congestion and bad driving in the GTA will only get worse if the entire traffic culture doesn’t change.

58b4720343f48fcdba4cfa7720d6.jpg

The article says that bad driving habits cause congestion, and that we should all drive better. However, are there known cases of mass public education being an effective congestion relief mechanism?

It's all well and good to say "bad habits cause congestion" but they make the assumption that this is inherently fixable. Are there examples of places where there are good habits, and thus, they manage to handle the same amount of traffic more efficiently? They mention Germany's high bar for testing, but (1) are the Germans free of gridlock? (2) Are their roads more efficient (vehicles/lane)? (3) Is this the product of driver education, or are there other reasons (i.e. no speedlimits)?

It's all well and good to say "bad habits cause congestion" but they make the assumption that this is inherently fixable.

The fix is to eliminate humans from the driver seat; a very real possibility from a technical standpoint.

+1 for bad driving habits.

people are so ignorant. when I'm driving in the right lane on a highway and I am close to a merging ramp and I see cars merging onto the lane that I'm in, I will often move to the next lane to let them comfortably merge, or if that's not possible I will speed up or down so they have a free space to merge into.

There will always be the idiots that when I am trying to merge into the highway from the on ramp, that will not leave a space for me, and if i speed up, they will speed up, if i slow down to go behind them, they will break, idiots! they are the ones who will cause most of the problems, because by this time I've reached the end of the on ramp merge and ran out of lane and have to squeeze in and cut them off, then they high beam and honk the horn at me for no apparent reason.

idiots.

After spending time in Europe using trains and transit as well walking, Europe rules.

Within 48 hours being home, I wanted to go back to Europe as it was far safer to walk the streets than here. Even watching how transit work in traffic was better in Europe than here.

I have said far too long that 50% of current drivers should not be on the road as they don't know how to drive in the first place and have no respect for pedestrian, cycles or other drivers.

Far too many drivers think the left hand lane is their personal lane to drive slow and not yield to the speeders let long the speed limit drivers as well how to use the merging lanes.

Maybe in 50 years the road will be control by the computer to removed the flaws of the human races.

It's a bit of a chicken and egg. Bad driving habits probably contribute somewhat to congestion, but it's that congestion that also motivates Torontonians to develop bad driving habits.

Toronto: where the car-horn is just not a safety measure or a means of communication, it's a way to express your rage.

Last edited:
Cab drivers are the biggest cause of congestion. I swear every cab driver should be forced into mandatory drivers re-training and half of them should have their licences revoked,

I've seen 5-point u-turns happen in rush hr on King, cabs 'pulled over' to pick up a fare while they take up 2 lanes of traffic, 'park' 1 metre from the curb, hover in busy traffic like bottom-feeders looking for something to feed on, drive on two lanes (presumably to keep their options open in case they see prey), seldom use turn signals, and gun it like a bat out of hell only to stop 50m later for a red light.

Last edited:
It's a bit of a chicken and egg. Bad driving habits probably contribute somewhat to congestion, but it's that congestion that also motivates Torontonians to develop bad driving habits.

I've driven a lot in Berlin where streets are narrow and there is far less asphalt per person than in Toronto, but there is order. I was always amazed at how rapidly congestion resolved itself. And how much more intelligently drivers behaved in general.

The article says that bad driving habits cause congestion, and that we should all drive better. However, are there known cases of mass public education being an effective congestion relief mechanism?

It's all well and good to say "bad habits cause congestion" but they make the assumption that this is inherently fixable. Are there examples of places where there are good habits, and thus, they manage to handle the same amount of traffic more efficiently? They mention Germany's high bar for testing, but (1) are the Germans free of gridlock? (2) Are their roads more efficient (vehicles/lane)? (3) Is this the product of driver education, or are there other reasons (i.e. no speedlimits)?
Well, better driver education and tougher standards to get and keep a licence would translate to better driving I would think. In Germany they actually enforce lane discipline, while our police ignore it. So now people have it in their heads that the middle lane is the default driving lane. Even trucks are cruising in the middle lane now. Speed limits are a factor; European and, increasingly, American speed limits are at the upper end of what's safe to drive. Ours are 20-30 less than that. Combine that with our generous design standards (exceeding even the Germans), and you get confusion, mass braking at speed traps, and people driving in any lane they want regardless of if they're passing anyone.

And then there's our disappearing right lanes, which makes people avoid the right lane like the plague. This has been studied and people unnecessarily driving in the middle lane does increase congestion. In most countries it's the left lane that ends.

For people to drive better, it's going to take more than better driver training or public education. People respond to the way their environment is designed, and that includes highways. The way the government designs the highways and enforces the laws is actually creating bad driving.

Last edited:
I wouldn't strictly blame the traffic engineers, though indeed they are partly responsible. Canadians predominantly drive automatics, Europeans predominantly drive standard. When German car makers prepare their cars for the N.A. market they have to retrofit with cupholders etc. Canadians pay less attention to driving and think less about interactions with other vehicles but instead behave childishly, selfishly and dangerously. In Toronto when you turn on your turn signal, drivers often respond by speeding up instead being courteous, if they notice your signal at all. How often do cars proceed into a clogged intersection as the light is about to change? And then don't even have the **cking imagination to drive up the free lane to get out of the way so cars and pedestrians can cross. If this were to happen in most of Europe everyone would shake their heads in bewilderment. Pack of retards are Toronto drivers.

Last edited:
All the things you people have posted are (depressingly) true. People here drive like idiots/morons. I also completely agree about the right lane ending, and our speed limits being completely unrealistic (they're basically designed to make it easy for police to give out speeding tickets).

In all my travels I cannot think of one place where I saw a stop sign.

At no time did I see a car trying to pass a tram at stops like TTC.

It took me sometime to get use to cross at crosswalk areas or the corners with no stop lights without fear of having a driver not stop for me or other crossing the streets.

Never saw a car in the bus/tram only lanes. Did see cabs, but in most cases they were allow to do it in the first place.

Saw next to no speeding to the point it was very rare to see a police car or hear one.

I was standing by some offices in Prague that had a radar gun and they wrote the car number down as well time and speed, but never stop them. It was a gun I have never seen here and very up to date. I guess the driver will receive a knock on the door as well a ticket soon.

As far as I am concern, speed limit on the 400 hwy should be 120-130 outside city limit with 110 top in city limit. Doing the run from Toronto to Detroit is very boring and try doing 120 when possible.

In some cases, my trains were being pass by cars doing over 100 that was the posted speed.

Did see a number of driver using their cell phones.

Did see a few drivers clogging intersection, but mostly in the UK.

In France its not the cars you have to worry about, but the motorcyclist or mopeds. Other parts of Europe, its the cycles with Amsterdam being the worse.

Driver education is HUGE. Slightly off topic example are drivers who are blissfully unaware that they are driving without their taillights on at 12 midnight. It blows my mind everytime I've seen this. I've also seen drivers without and HEADLIGHTS, wow. I'm thinking to myself either these people are complete morons or they must be trying to do some shady things and thus don't want to be seen at all.

Drivers who use the merge lane to jump 10 car lengths cause the most congestion IMHO.

Back