1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 600     1 

House Hunting

kitkat

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I have a 16 month old. We're out of space in our 2 bedroom condo in King West. We're looking to buy a house soon. We've been scouting out possible neighbourhoods that would be great for a young family ie. good schools, parks, rec centres etc. We want a detached house with parking and a decent size backyard. We've narrowed our search to the following neighbourhoods: Don Mills, Parkwoods, Bayview Village, Bloor West Village, Swansea and Birchcliff. I would appreciate any advice or insights into the neighbourhoods above. Which neighbourhood do you think offers the best value? I'm partial to Birchcliff but I'm not sure if it's a safe area as the crime rate in that area seems high.

Thanks!

RE: Don Mills

Grew up and currently work there (I live downtown).

Great underrated neighbourhood. Lots of decent schools and parks (and schools with parks) for kids to play in.

I say underrated because you can find detached homes (many bungalos) for reasonable prices (as long as you're not square foot crazy). They're older (many from the 60s), but are in fairly good condition.

The thing I loved most about it was that there is a sense of integration between the haves and have nots. It gives them a better perspective as a kid, and mitigates their sense of entitlement.

Don Mills is great to commute from since it's closer to the "traffic line" (anything north of Wynford) on the DVP.

I do see better things for the neighbourhood in the future as traffic from way north (Markham) gets worse. Although, I think they missed the mark a bit with the Shops of Don Mills.

I think the Shops at Don Mills completely put this neighbourhood on the map, so I'll disagree and bolster your argument that Don Mills is a great place to raise a family. Because now you can take them to a splash park in the summer and ice skating in the winter with shops, cafes, and restaurants that this neighbourhood didn't have before. (Too bad that book store closed because I love having a big book store in my hood)

Perhaps the Shops at Don Mills could be better? You're probably right. But even today I hardly go to Don Mills, but now with the Shops being there it has become a rare destination whereas it wasn't a destination before.

Last edited:
I hardly go to Don Mills

This is my main point. The Shops are reasonably close to where I live and work, yet I hardly ever find reason to go there. I think they've catered a little too much to overpriced retail when a more balanced feel would have been more welcoming. Also, with the layout being so inward, it doesn't encourage further residential or retail development in the surrounding area.

I hear you that they've slanted towards high end, but also there is still available retail to round things out. I think the high end stores is a nice touch because otherwise people had to go south of Bloor for high end. There is enough affluence in the surrounding area to support it.

As you've quoted, I hardly go to Don Mills, but as I stated, now with the Shops being there it has become a rare destination whereas it wasn't a destination before. The point is, prior to the Shops, I would NEVER be in that neck of the woods.

Now it is a pleasant area to go to. It's become a destination.

Jumping from King West to a detached home in Don Mills or Scarborough is quite a leap, lifestyle-wise. Have you considered a semi-detached in Leslieville, Roncesvailles or The Junction?

Thank you very much for all your insights. Don Mills is definietly on my list of neighbourhoods to buy in. I like the houses and lot size in this area and it seems like a great place for families.

Thanks for the suggestions! My real estate agent works out of Leslieville. Even though this area has gotten better, I still find it a bit rough around the edges. It still needs more gentrification. The difficulty finding a place more downtown is space. I have my hearts set on a detached home with parking and a bit of green space.

My husband and I have given the whole lifestyle change serious consideration. We love King West/ West Queen West area ( Trinity Bellwood) and the lifestyle it affords us but we think we're ready for a change as we continue to grow our family.

I've come to appreciate Etobicoke recently. Really love the expansive bungalows with their shady large lots around the Kipling-Islington-Martin Grove area roughly from just north of the Bloor subway line to just south of Eglinton. For example, stuff like this: Farningham Crescent where $700k buys you a giant lot to relax around, but still close to good schools. Yes, it means you rely on a car. And the closer to Islington you get, the more Italian it becomes.

Still in Etobicoke, I'm really seeing massive potential for making money and future gentrification in Mimico/New Toronto area. The real bonus here is you're minutes to trendy Parkdale etc.

On the flipside, I urge you to take a close look at the Junction. The area is crawling with daycares, excellent schools of all stripes, parks, water parks, great cafes, the Junction has a new kids play centre, you're still close to downtown and the airport via subway, etc.

For example, this 680 Indian Road home on MLS, #W1899333 for $550k, which is probably near what it will sell for in today's oversupplied market. I would buy it tomorrow, if I had the job/cash/family to justify it. Very close to an excellent park, good school, etc.

Last edited:
This house at 680 Indian Road is so charming at such a great price! Thanks for pointing it out to me. You've piqued my interest in The Junction area.

You might already have a home in mind. Perhaps you want to settle down in a particular neighborhood, or maybe you just need more space for your growing family.Don’t be disappointed if the houses in your price range differ from your original vision. Buy the home you can afford rather than the home that "has it all." While you may not be able to afford your dream home now, building equity in a home that you can afford may provide you with the financial ability to buy your dream home in the future.

Back