News   Aug 14, 2024
 378     0 
News   Aug 14, 2024
 448     0 
News   Aug 14, 2024
 735     1 

Hosting a summer Olympic games

Antoine Mountain's chalet sits nestled at the base of one of Ontario's highest mountains with 15 perfectly groomed runs, a true vertical of 630 feet and home to the longest run in Ontario (2.9km).

This is about 400km from Toronto. A winter games hosted by Toronto would be a flop. They don't have a hill close enough to do it.

With the admission of swimmers who swam in the river to the hospital,that is not a success.
I've been an avid downhill skier my whole life, and I've never even heard of Antoine Mountain, and looking at the trail map, I can see why - this "resort" only has a single chair lift! What an absolute joke. Fine for the locals I suppose, but nobody from Toronto would bother making that kind of a trek for something so meagre. I can barely even motivate myself these days to get to Blue Mountain, with its snazzy village and 15 lifts!

I've been an avid downhill skier my whole life, and I've never even heard of Antoine Mountain, and looking at the trail map, I can see why - this "resort" only has a single chair lift! What an absolute joke. Fine for the locals I suppose, but nobody from Toronto would bother making that kind of a trek for something so meagre. I can barely even motivate myself these days to get to Blue Mountain, with its snazzy village and 15 lifts!
What an absolute joke

Well, compared to the Toronto hills . . . 😄

I doubt they are under much of an illusion that they will get many to trek 5 hours from the GTA. I'm not a skier but locals like it. Most of their clientele is local, n/e Ontario and upper Ottawa Valley with some western Quebec.

It is the highest/longest runs in the province. The reason the other GTA hills need more lifts is they tend to be on ridges, not a mountain. If you are an avid skier, take a day and go try it. You might like it. One of the things I like is the views of the Ottawa Valley.

Antoine Mountain's chalet sits nestled at the base of one of Ontario's highest mountains with 15 perfectly groomed runs, a true vertical of 630 feet and home to the longest run in Ontario (2.9km).

This is about 400km from Toronto. A winter games hosted by Toronto would be a flop. They don't have a hill close enough to do it.

With the admission of swimmers who swam in the river to the hospital,that is not a success.
The requirement for Mens Downhill is 800m - 1100m vertical drop.

Tremblant is only 645m vertical drop. Lake Placid has 965m served by a lift, 1045m max.

Blue Mountain is only 220m drop.

Tremblant is only 645m vertical drop. Lake Placid has 965m served by a lift, 1045m max.

Sounds like noting in Eastern Canada would be able to host it then.

Sounds like only a Summer games could ever be realistically possible.

Sounds like noting in Eastern Canada would be able to host it then.

Sounds like only a Summer games could ever be realistically possible.
Obviously...

The only places in Canada that can ever host a winter games are Alberta and BC. That's it.

France just had a summer games with events in Tahiti.

The IOC is becoming more forgiving of the odd remote venue.

Quebec's Mt. Albert has a 1300ft vertical drop, but is 500km from Quebec City.

France just had a summer games with events in Tahiti.

The IOC is becoming more forgiving of the odd remote venue.

Quebec's Mt. Albert has a 1300ft vertical drop, but is 500km from Quebec City.
Could we have a Canada hosted winter games? Have the alpine stuff in the west and the rest in the east?

Could we have a Canada hosted winter games? Have the alpine stuff in the west and the rest in the east?
I think this is feasible, but the alpine events are more 'core' to the Winter Olympics than surfing is to the Summer Olympics. Surfing almost has to be remote, as very few large cities have good surfing nearby.

The IOC is having to be less 'picky' about bids. Perhaps they would allow a Canada/US joint hosting using Lake Placid, similar to FIFA awarding the World Cup to North America as a whole. The visa/travel thing would be the biggest issue.

I think this is feasible, but the alpine events are more 'core' to the Winter Olympics than surfing is to the Summer Olympics. Surfing almost has to be remote, as very few large cities have good surfing nearby.

The IOC is having to be less 'picky' about bids. Perhaps they would allow a Canada/US joint hosting using Lake Placid, similar to FIFA awarding the World Cup to North America as a whole. The visa/travel thing would be the biggest issue.
It’s worth noting, that Greater Vancouver hosted all the indoor events, the only outdoor events they hosted were Freestyle Skiing and Snowboarding

Everything else was in Whistler but Vancouver was the sole city “attached” to the branding of that Olympics. I assume the same thing would have happened in Lillehammer if Oslo had hosted 2022.

The Olympic movement at least in theory has always been about cities rather than countries, I know there’s a lot of contradictory stuff about this that I won’t get into, so it would be good if a city or region (as was the case with PyeongChang) remains hosting it.

The biggest obstacle I think more than the IOC is the USOC willing to entertain a joint bid with either Montreal or Quebec City, I suppose they could agree to host it if the IOC struggles to find a host for 2038, as IOC would take anyone to keep the Olympics going at this point.

I do however understand your biggest issue, suppose if indoor events are held in Montreal and outdoor events are held in Calgary or Whistler, something seems very off about calling it a Montreal Olympics for example, branding it as Montreal-Whistler almost seems worse when you factor in the extraordinary distance between these places.

Back