News   May 17, 2024
 403     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 311     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 4K     5 

Holt Renfrew Renovations (50 Bloor West, Morguard, 2s, Gensler)

Well it's designed for their target demographic, not the masses. They're far more particular about what things look like.

LMAO, you clearly skipped reading many of my posts here.

I am most certainly their target demo.

Of course, I'm always found Holt's to be a bit kitsch.

Their over use of pink for a decade was legendary; their continued aversion to windows has correctly attracted derision here.

They really are too slavish to trends.

Last edited:
LMAO, you clearly skipped reading many of my posts here.

I am most certainly their target demo.

Of course, I'm always found Holt's to be a bit kitsch.

Their over use of pink for a decade was legendary; their continued aversion to windows has correctly attracted derision here.

They really are too slavish to trends.

I do skim. Like most things, people aren't all going to like the same thing. Personally, I avoid Holts like the plague .... in favour of Harry Rosen next door. I do like the look of that cafe though. Enough to make an exception and trudge through Holts to have a look.

It's very on trend. Years of white on white on white have probably led to these bold colour inclusions. I don't hate it. The blue does come across as less sophisticated. Maybe I've spent a little too much time at 55 Bloor or the Bank of Montreal Tower Toronto across the street to offer an impartial opinion.

Last edited:
More photos and commentary on the new Holts Cafe available in this article:

Alex Cochrane Reinvents Toronto’s Flagship Holts Café

Stefan Novakovic
Feb 25, 2020

2F0884CE-62D0-44B2-948E-26EF3BDE527D.jpeg
B376ACDE-2AEF-458B-BCB4-C0B1F0851FAE.jpeg
1427D2D6-CCDB-4E4B-ADA7-DB638D4F76EA.jpeg
Today.

Thanks!
It seems to have finer grain / more texture than the similar Nordstrom facades.
More like an ancient wall that says "established" rather than a modernist wall that says "clean, fresh" (like a bathroom or kitchen).

Last edited:
They should add a support system for rotating art displays on that blank wall in the restaurant. It would provide a jolt of colour facing the street.

Back