News   Sep 05, 2024
 650     0 
News   Sep 05, 2024
 615     0 

HK to get "Grande Arche" for Government Headquarters

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Hong Kong government has selected the Gammon-Hip Hing joint venture to develop the new Government Headquarters complex, to be located at the ex-British Royal Navy base, now prime central waterfront site at HMS Tamar.

The proposed Government Headquarters includes a 27-storey arch-shaped office tower, which I think looks like the Grande Arche in La Defense, Paris (or closer to home, Pier 27?). In front of the building on the harbour side of the tower are buildings housing the Legislative Council and the Chief Executive's office. Planned completion date is 2010.

Press Release

http://www.tamar.gov.hk/proposal_1.htm

model1.jpg

screen2.jpg

screen3.jpg

screen7.jpg

screen9.jpg

screen12.jpg

That is really beautiful, imo. Many impressive projects in HK at the moment.

Could've been here

Looks like a great project. I know that when Jack Diamond presented his proposal for the entertainment project along the Jarvis St. slip (Corus Entertainment complex), one of the members of the design review panel suggested something more bold, such as cantilevering the building over the water. Funny how Toronto visions become reality elsewhere.

I've seen a squared off composite arch proposed like this in Madison Wisconsin, but on a much smaller scale. I need to find out if it ever got built, but I do know that it gathered a strong groundswell of controversy when that rendering was released in that University/State-Capitol town.

The surroundings of HK often make a glassy proposal look good, but I'll wait until I see more before jumping on or off the bandwagon.

Back