News   Sep 03, 2024
 636     2 
News   Sep 03, 2024
 935     1 
News   Sep 03, 2024
 2K     0 

Historic subway cars vandalized

without pigment there would be no paint, without light there would be no colour, we could go on forever couldn't we....

There is nothing even remotely cultural about vandalizing some old trains in a museum. Cultures and subcultures are distinct and identifiable, but the taggers themselves are not.

There is nothing even remotely cultural about vandalizing some old trains in a museum. Cultures and subcultures are distinct and identifiable, but the taggers themselves are not.

I never even once came remotely close to saying there was anything good or artistic about the vandalizing of those cars, go back and re-read what was said.

I never once defended the destruction of private property, when I was an active writer I'd say that about 85% of what I did as a teen was legit, after I went to college and matured a bit, 100% of what I did was legit if not commissioned.

Historic TTC cars vandalized-Graffiti as art or outright vandalism?

Everyone: I read thru this entire topic with interest-what happened to those TTC 1953 vintage Gloucester cars was vandalism-clean and simple. I would like to mention a similar incident I recall from a couple of years ago at the Illinois Railroad Museum: A pair of retired Chicago Transit Authority 1964-vintage 2000 series cars were tagged in the Museum rail yard in somewhat of a similar way-what was mentioned-other then the cost of cleaning the cars-was the damage to the CTA painted graphics that may not be replaceable.
Those TTC cars-because they were painted stock-may possibly not be able to be restored accurately because of the damage in removing the paint.

Being from the NYC area I remember the days between 1972-when graffiti really took hold in NYCs Subways-to about 1984 or so-around the time NYC Transit under David Gunn declared all-out war on graffiti. What was brought up was that the graffiti-as well as other vandalism-was so out of control that the psychological mindset made people think that no one was in control-frightening riders away from using the NYC subways causing ridership to decline-in my opinion the mid-late 70s NYC was hitting bottom in its decline-from the early 80s onward NYC gradually got better-with some problem spots like the late 80s crack epidemic.

When I was a teenager I was interested in graffiti-some artists can do fantastic and colorful work-those posted pics showing those large murals are a great example. I also noticed that there were two types of graffiti: Artists that can do very colorful-and elaborate work and Scrawlers-who just tagged up and vandalized property for the most part. If the art is sanctioned in some way-like a neat building mural-no problem but graffiti where it is not wanted-vandalizing others property - no way! Can someone mention to me when the graffiti artistry came to Toronto? I remember very little of it in the 80s when I regularly visited. One little thing I would like to mention was on a visit to the top of the CN Tower back then I remember that a very familiar NYC graffiti artist from the late 70s era-Futura 2000-had tagged a door there that I took notice to.

In closing-graffiti art-or any art for that matter is cool where it is wanted or sanctioned-but other desecration of property is just vandalism-pure and simple. That's my two cents here-LI MIKE

Back