News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 854     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1K     0 

Historic photos from Toronto on this day

December 18th: Two photos from 98 years ago of Rosedale Valley Road in 1912. It is tough to place these photos, but maybe this 'first ravine' is looking south from current Park Road?
s0372_ss0053_it0053.jpg

Then maybe this second one is looking at the Mount Pleasant bridge?
s0372_ss0053_it0052.jpg

Then maybe this second one is looking at the Mount Pleasant bridge?

The Mount Pleasant bridge wasn't built until after WWII. It's likely either Sherbourne or Glen Rd.

Though because it says *North* Rosedale Ravine, it may be the predecessor to the *other* Glen Rd bridge...

December 22: There was snow on the ground, 106 years ago today back in 1904 - here's a photo of Bay Street at Front Street, still recovering from the great fire earlier in the year. Note the street car zipping past, to the left of the man:
s0376_fl0004_it0094.jpg

Then in 1933 we have this photo of Fort York, and the interior of officers' quarters during restoration:
f1231_it0601.jpg

Details on both of these photos is available on the Dec 22nd Historic Toronto Photos page.

December 24th: Lots of Christmas Eve photos, but only the oldest one, from 1915 is Christmas related - McCormick Playground Hall in Brockton - with Christmas Trees:
s0372_ss0052_it0601.jpg

Then in 1924 we're looking north up Bay Street from Adelaide, at the noon hour traffic just south of Old City Hall:
s0071_it3629.jpg

In 1935 there was a very white Christmas - here are 3 photos of the snow conditions around the city - starting with Jarvis looking north from Shuter:
s0071_it7328.jpg

Then looking east on Shuter from Jarvis:
s0071_it7327.jpg

And then looking south down Simcoe Street from Richmond (was a horse drawn wagon any better than an old car in the snow I wonder?)
s0071_it7335.jpg

Finally in 1935 we have a very balmy looking view up Bay Street again from the north side of Adelaide, just a bit farther south than the shot taken 11 years earlier to the day, showing all the parked cars on the west side of the street despite the No Parking sights - photo was taken at 2:09pm:
s0071_it11718.jpg

Details on all these photos available on the December 24th Historic Toronto photos page.

December 24th: I forgot one December 24th photo, from 1935, looking south on Yonge Street from the centre line of Trinity Square looking at all the traffic. Lots of fur stores, Tip Top Tailors, Toronto Radio Co., Adams....:
s0071_it11713.jpg

December 25th: We've seen a few of this Christmas photos on other threads so I'll stick with the thumbnails:
1908 Christmas display at Old St. Charles Hotel, Yonge and King:
thumbnailImage

Then the James family X-mas dinner at 39 Huron Street- one photo is labeled 1910, and one is labeled 1913 but I assume it is the same year. Fascinating wallpaper, and I assume a gas light hanging from the ceiling.

thumbnailImage
thumbnailImage

Then in 1920 we head up Yonge Street to the old city limit, at the top of the hill just south of York Mills, in Teddington Park for the North York market Christmas display 90 years ago, where the Loblaws stands now:
f1568_it0466.jpg

Then in 1925 we have another shot of the High Park Alexandra Gates - this time a Christmas horseback ride:
f1548_s0393_it20193.jpg

And finally in 1958 we have two shots of the TTC Christmas Bus (not dated Dec 25th, but I assume close enough) along Eglinton Ave east across from the Future Shop and Canadian Tire at Laird:
s0648_fl0037_id0001.jpg

And then in front of a new apartment building somewhere on Don Mills (?). As someone who drives a real-wheel drive convertible all year round I love seeing the car in this shot:
s0648_fl0037_id0002.jpg

Details on all these photos on the Historic Toronto photos from Christmas Day page.

December 24th: I forgot one December 24th photo, from 1935, looking south on Yonge Street from the centre line of Trinity Square looking at all the traffic. Lots of fur stores, Tip Top Tailors, Toronto Radio Co., Adams....:
...Furniture. (You're welcome.)

And then in front of a new apartment building somewhere on Don Mills (?). As someone who drives a real-wheel drive convertible all year round I love seeing the car in this shot:
s0648_fl0037_id0002.jpg

The Don Mills *line*; but not Don Mills proper. (I'm sure I'd be able to tell where that was by the apartments; but somebody please help me.)

The house on the right is circa 1930, the road is 6 lanes wide and not recently widened judging by the condition of the pavement. Maybe the bus was "out of service" but lacked a roll sign with that designation. The Buick is a 1957 model if I remember correctly. My guess is Eglinton Ave. E and the bus is headed for the barn.

Yes, thanks as always adma for the help!

spider may be right about this being Eglinton Ave. E.
That building at left in the background resembles the office at Bayview & Eglinton (NW of the corner).

A quick trip down Eglinton Ave East on Google Street view puts this photo on Eglinton Ave E as you suggested, on the north side of the street where Petman Ave. ends. Both the apartment buildings still stand, but the house is a driveway with a tree. Another minor mystery solved.

Back