News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 438     0 

Historic photos from Toronto on this day

September 20th: 5 pictures today, all from 88 years ago, in 1922 - a thorough examination of Avoca Avenue, a short street running south from St. Clair, before the bridge there was replaced with the existing bridge on St. Clair. in 1924/1925.

We start with the intersection of Avoca and Pleasant Blvd, looking west from the Avoca Bridge (railings still on Avoca today)
s0372_ss0060_it0009.jpg

Then we can see roughly where the first photo was taken on the bridge, looking northeast on Mount Pleasant Boulevard at Avoca and Bridge:
s0372_ss0060_it0007.jpg

Then we'll look due east from Pleasant Blvd across the bridge:
s0372_ss0060_it0006.jpg

Then we'll head north a bit and look back at the intersection:
f1231_it1548.jpg

then finally turn to face north, looking up towards St. Clair Ave:
s0372_ss0060_it0005.jpg

The details and locations for these photo are available at http://wholemap.com/historic/toronto.php?month=September&day=20

The building at top left looks terribly like the old Simpson Warehouse ( The Merchandise Building ) on Dalhousie just north of Dundas. Did it once have a twin?

The building at top left looks terribly like the old Simpson Warehouse ( The Merchandise Building ) on Dalhousie just north of Dundas. Did it once have a twin?

Um, that's probably it in the photo, no? We're right about here looking south from Gerrard down Dalhousie St, so it would be in the photo, on the left... Thankfully they widened the street and cut down those trees blocking the view (from Sept 19, 1950):

s0372_ss0058_it2076.jpg

I assume in the distance is St. James all the way south on King street.

Um, that's probably it in the photo, no? We're right about here looking south from Gerrard down Dalhousie St, so it would be in the photo, on the left... Thankfully they widened the street and cut down those trees blocking the view (from Sept 19, 1950):

s0372_ss0058_it2076.jpg

There must have been an addition to the Simpson warehouse, yes?

Can anyone share any links on the history of the Simpson's buildings in Toronto?

September 24th: One photo today, from 86 years ago, in 1924 of street construction on Oakwood. We're looking north at a scene that really hasn't changed much... the store-front in the top left of the picture is at Earlsdale Ave I assume (Peter's Variety, with a Trident gum sign, if anyone's following the 'A Little Variety Thread' here) and the white 1 story building in the centre of the row of houses is now gone, replaced with just a driveway:

s0071_it3392.jpg

(Location and details on this picture, here. )

Here's [some information on Simpson's] I ran across recently:

http://www.archive.org/stream/constructionjour11macduoft#page/n7/mode/2up

Thanks, that was an interesting read - interesting how they focused on getting light into the building...

September 27th: Another picture from the work on Oakwood Ave in 1924, 86 years ago, this time looking north from St. Clair.The building on the left is still there, with the shoe shine shop replaced with a 'Twin's Variety' store (a 'Crunch' sign) and there are houses on the left in the distance that are still there. The east side is all gone and replaced with an apartment building.

s0071_it3398.jpg

( Details and map location here. )

s0372_ss0058_it2076.jpg

Since my computer monitor cuts off the right side of every UT page, I almost missed the attached detail.
It was a reminder of my first summer job (during the same era) when I was a bicycle courrier in downtown Toronto for an optical firm.

Attachments

• bike on Dalhousie.jpg
    bike on Dalhousie.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 298
September 30th: Well, I'm pretty sure today is the first day we have a photo that is exactly 100 years old to the day! The honour goes to a photo of Royce Avenue (Dupont Street) looking west at Perth Ave, in 1910. Wooden sidewalks, lots of wires, and a blurry streetlight, horse-drawn carriage, and pedestrian round out the photo.

f1231_it2053.jpg

Did we discuss this photo in one of the forums here? Something about the future church on the corner there?

( Details and the location are available here. )

October 1st: Photos today from 46 years apart, but all of them featuring O'Keefe!

The first, in 1914, is just east on Yonge Street, on Wilton Street, now Dundas. This almost looks staged, the crooked fence, uneven window blinds... and like I said, the O'Keefe's sign in the background (on a building on Yonge St, north of Dundas, I assume).

s0372_ss0032_it0360.jpg

And then exactly 50 years ago tonight, in 1960, we have the grand opening of the O'Keefe Centre. There are over 60 photos in the City of Toronto Archives, but here's a selection:

f1257_s1057_it0779.jpg

f1257_s1057_it0800.jpg

f1257_s1057_it0812.jpg

f1257_s1057_it0831.jpg

Details on these photos, including their locations, available here.

October 2nd: A variety of photos today, the oldest being 86 years old, along Oakwood back in 1924:

Oakwood, north of St Clair - a view that looks remarkably the same today:
s0071_it3404.jpg

Then we go north up Oakwood and turn west to look along a very muddy to Rogers Road, which also hasn't changed much - even the garage on the right side of the picture is still there:

s0071_it3409.jpg

Then in 1951 we're at the corner of Mount Pleasant and Millwood Road, just north of Davisville looking at the the tennis club on the west side of Mnt Pleasant:

s0372_ss0058_it2209.jpg

with a second shot showing the east side of the road, too and the Stark's Studebaker dealership:
s0372_ss0058_it2210.jpg

Location of these photos and links to the City of Toronto Archive records available here.

Back