News   Jul 16, 2024
 415     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 516     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 642     2 

High Speed Rail: London - Kitchener-Waterloo - Pearson Airport - Toronto

Perhaps so, but many of the locals will drive and park, I see a fair amount of empty space in the parking lot during work days there. Do you think Guelph is any better? They don't even have GO co-fare outside of peak times, and yet Guelph is served by three all day GO bus routes.

Get more info online http://bit.ly/19x1Fpw

And to top it off, formerly 20 min headway buses are now only every half an hour. And even that's been cut. They've just lost two good Transit Managers in a row. And Guelph considers herself to be a leader in transit, anything green, and more sophisticated than the entire rest of world.

For your added viewing pleasure, I post the entirety of the page link above:
I do. Here's why. That problem with the co fare solely due to the city budget problems. Once that gets sorted out, it should improve. Halton hills rejected a Brampton transit line. There has to be an incentive, otherwise Halton Hills will just be more sprawl. Compare them to Milton, who is doing better at building a livable community?
London- Toronto suffers from 'last mile' syndrome at both end of the route. At the London end, the VIA depot is just far enough from public transit to be a bit inconvenient. At the Toronto end, there are transit options but the added time and effort to use it makes a car trip much faster, especially with 403, 401, and 407 providing paths to just about the entire GTA. Both of these pieces need to fall into place to make the VIA piece attractive. London-Malton with GO connections down the 407 would address this for many.

One lever to change the picture (where is Mr Collenette when we need him?) is to quantify what it will cost to add more capacity to Highway 401 west of Highway 6. That route is congealing. If quantified into a single cost item, rather than small incremental packages, some level of investment in rail might prove viable.

I wonder whether London woukd rethink its transit planning if it could be confirmed that CP is considering rerouting its trains in the City. An east-west transit line on the CP right of way would make it possible to cross London smoothly.

- Paul
So should the Kitchener Go line be extended to London Paul?

Last edited:
All that is separating Kitchener from London really is RIM shutting down.
Completely untrue. Blackberry (it hasn't been called RIM in years) is still the biggest company in Waterloo Region's tech sector but it's just one player among many. Even without Blackberry, the tech sector in Waterloo Region dwarfs that of London. OpenText alone is a $2.4 billion company. Also despite its decline, Blackberry isn't going anywhere.

Canada's tech sector is concentrated in half a dozen or so cities. Of the top 50 firms in the sector, over half are in the GTA and Waterloo Region. Supporting this emerging corridor is the driving force behind the high speed rail proposal, whatever form it ends up taking.

Completely untrue. Blackberry (it hasn't been called RIM in years) is still the biggest company in Waterloo Region's tech sector but it's just one player among many. Even without Blackberry, the tech sector in Waterloo Region dwarfs that of London. OpenText alone is a $2.4 billion company. Also despite its decline, Blackberry isn't going anywhere.

Canada's tech sector is concentrated in half a dozen or so cities. Of the top 50 firms in the sector, over half are in the GTA and Waterloo Region. Supporting this emerging corridor is the driving force behind the high speed rail proposal, whatever form it ends up taking.
Blackberry is still one of the largest employers in Waterloo region, though. London doesn't have anything like that...they have the hospital, so as a result they are struggling.

So should the Kitchener Goline be extended to London Paul?

Simplistically yes, but you don't actually want to extend trains so much as tier two services. Volumes will require many more seats east of KW than west of it.

New rail, ballast and ties London-KW, and maybe a bit more passing track east of Stratford, would let someone run fast, frequent service all the way to London, and move some of the Windsor business onto this line avoiding a change of train in London. A very modest cost item with the ability to equal or better time and ridership on the southern route.

The problem remains east of Guelph.... both track capacity and speed needs to be upgraded to allow semi-express trains running on top of RER. Making local stops all the way from Kitchener into the city is very bad business strategy.

In my view, this is the place to apply a version of the HFR format that VIA is proposing further east. Distances are shorter so much less construction cost, and it's a more modern, somewhat more cared for line than the Havelock so you aren't engineering from bedrock up. Assuming GO proceeds with the Halton bypass and a fourth track on the Weston, all that's needed is a second track from Silver to Kitchener. That would be enough to give GO 15 minute electric RER to Mount Pleasant and frequent peak trains to Kitchener. West of Mount Pleasant, I would give VIA all the off- peak Kitchener-Toronto business, but an hourly VIA train with comingled RER is doable at some level of service.

It could all be GO, or it could be a GO/VIA joint use arrangement. Wouldn't it be nice if two levels of government found a place to integrate and work well together! (OK, I'm still in Christmas Cheer mode on that one)

- Paul

Regarding BlackBerry, they now earn more profit on non-BlackBerry stuff!! They own QNX, a real time operating system used in many things including satellites and self-driving cars. They'll be OK, even when they (might/possibly/eventually/definitely/pick word) stop making phones.... they finally slowly diversified.

And Google Canada Headquarters has more than doubled in size, too. Also, Apple has a prescence there too now. And with other impressive places like Perimeter Institute, Kitchener-Waterloo is not dependant on one big company like BlackBerry (which isn't a phone company anymore, I remind you.)

Even if not HSR, there is a need for all-day 2-way electrified service of some sort to KW eventually, to better tie them into the rest of the connected-or-already-planned-to-be region.

Last edited:
Regarding BlackBerry, they now earn more profit on non-BlackBerry stuff!! They own QNX, a real time operating system used in many things including satellites and self-driving cars. They'll be OK, even when they (might/possibly/eventually/definitely/pick word) stop making phones.... they finally slowly diversified.

And Google Canada Headquarters has more than doubled in size, too. Also, Apple has a prescence there too now. And with other impressive places like Perimeter Institute, Kitchener-Waterloo is not dependant on one big company like BlackBerry (which isn't a phone company anymore, I remind you.)

Even if not HSR, there is a need for all-day 2-way electrified service of some sort to KW eventually, to better tie them into the rest of the connected-or-already-planned-to-be region.
Interesting. London doesn't have any of this. Having that huge 2 or 3 corporations can be the difference between being booming and teetering into irrelevance.
Simplistically yes, but you don't actually want to extend trains so much as tier two services. Volumes will require many more seats east of KW than west of it.

New rail, ballast and ties London-KW, and maybe a bit more passing track east of Stratford, would let someone run fast, frequent service all the way to London, and move some of the Windsor business onto this line avoiding a change of train in London. A very modest cost item with the ability to equal or better time and ridership on the southern route.

The problem remains east of Guelph.... both track capacity and speed needs to be upgraded to allow semi-express trains running on top of RER. Making local stops all the way from Kitchener into the city is very bad business strategy.

In my view, this is the place to apply a version of the HFR format that VIA is proposing further east. Distances are shorter so much less construction cost, and it's a more modern, somewhat more cared for line than the Havelock so you aren't engineering from bedrock up. Assuming GO proceeds with the Halton bypass and a fourth track on the Weston, all that's needed is a second track from Silver to Kitchener. That would be enough to give GO 15 minute electric RER to Mount Pleasant and frequent peak trains to Kitchener. West of Mount Pleasant, I would give VIA all the off- peak Kitchener-Toronto business, but an hourly VIA train with comingled RER is doable at some level of service.

It could all be GO, or it could be a GO/VIA joint use arrangement. Wouldn't it be nice if two levels of government found a place to integrate and work well together! (OK, I'm still in Christmas Cheer mode on that one)

- Paul
I would support that, imo. As long as they cut the trip time down from 90 min, which this should do. I was just having this debate with steve, but do you think Georgetown should get off peak service or is terminating at Mt Pleasant fine?

University of Waterloo attracts a huge amount of talent from GTA area, Ontario, Canada and the world. Canadians are making a huge contribution to Silicon Valley (ex. many BlackBerry people are now at Apple). UW was the main reason Waterloo became a strong tech area and still is despite BlackBerry's decline.

If Waterloo & Toronto retains some of that talent they have and will benefit a huge amount (and bring some Canadians back). Out of the people I know who started their tech careers at BlackBerry, some went to big companies in Bay Area/Seattle, some stayed in Waterloo, some went to Toronto, creating new companies and jobs, some came back from the US.

With Toronto it's great because you have a huge amount of tech companies & talent concentrated in a walkable area and it's also next to a huge financial industry, marketing, and other industries (not to mention sports and other cultural attractions), so the talent for both tech & non-tech is there. There's also a culture of tech events like meet ups and coding schools which run free lectures or workshops all within walking distance of King & Spadina (which I didn't see when I lived in Waterloo, but maybe is there now).

For anyone interested, I highly recommend going to Start Up Open House which is once a year. Walk around the downtown core near Queen/King from Jarvis to Spadina (mostly concentrated around Spadina) and on every block you will see tech companies open their doors to give you tours of your office. Some companies are small, some have hundreds of people. They have it for Waterloo and other cities as well but I've only been to Toronto. Then you've also got big US companies like Amazon with big software development offices in downtown Toronto and existing Canadian companies opening "innovation labs" (an attempt to make startup-like offices to attract talent and spur innovation within a bigger company like a bank).

Blackberry is still one of the largest employers in Waterloo region, though. London doesn't have anything like that...they have the hospital, so as a result they are struggling.
Yes, but to say that Kitchener would be just like London without Blackberry is false. The roots of Waterloo Region being an innovation hub go back a lot farther than Blackberry. It's had that reputation since almost as soon as the University of Waterloo was founded. Tens of thousands of people work in the industry there, and most of them don't work for Blackberry. To get an idea of how big the sector is there, here's a handy map showing the top 250 tech firms in Canada. There are large concentrations in about half a dozen Canadian cities, including Kitchener-Waterloo, the GTA (downtown and Highway 7/404), Ottawa, Montreal, Calgary, and Vancouver. You can click on each one to see information on each firm. London has a few companies but the sector in KW is on another level entirely.

This is part of the reason that rail upgrades are so important. These kinds of jobs are a big part of our economic future and we'd do well to strengthen the transit links between them.

Yes, but to say that Kitchener would be just like London without Blackberry is false. The roots of Waterloo Region being an innovation hub go back a lot farther than Blackberry. It's had that reputation since almost as soon as the University of Waterloo was founded. Tens of thousands of people work in the industry there, and most of them don't work for Blackberry. To get an idea of how big the sector is there, here's a handy map showing the top 250 tech firms in Canada. There are large concentrations in about half a dozen Canadian cities, including Kitchener-Waterloo, the GTA (downtown and Highway 7/404), Ottawa, Montreal, Calgary, and Vancouver. You can click on each one to see information on each firm. London has a few companies but the sector in KW is on another level entirely.

This is part of the reason that rail upgrades are so important. These kinds of jobs are a big part of our economic future and we'd do well to strengthen the transit links between them.
But then you could say London has 3M and the credit unions and such. Lets give London a chance with some transit upgrades before writing him off.

Currently Kitchener -> Toronto is 93 min, that goes down to 57 or 58 min by skipping Georgetown and Acton off peak. They can keep their rush hour service.
I don't know what you base your assumption of 7-8 minutes avoidable travel time per skipped stop on, but I refer to a previous post, where I have made an exemplary calculation which suggests that the travel time saving associated with skipping certain stops would not exceed 3 minutes for conventional rail speeds, 3.5 minutes for Higher-Speed rail and 5 minutes for HSR:
ut-tkl-20140413-table-4-jpg.72560

I do. Here's why. That problem with the co fare solely due to the city budget problems. Once that gets sorted out, it should improve. Halton hills rejected a Brampton transit line. There has to be an incentive, otherwise Halton Hills will just be more sprawl. Compare them to Milton, who is doing better at building a livable community?

@denfromoakvillemilton, pardon me for intervening.

Of course it should. But with one proviso. Frankfurt Airport to Cologne is about 190km. (Frankfurt am Main Flughafen to Koeln HBF). London, ON to Toronto is about 200km. The train needs to run on an electrified ROW like the ICE trains run by Deutsche Bahn. The picture below was taken in March of 2015. (Sorry for the blur.) The trains run about 250 to 300 km/h on this run. This journey takes about 1 hour (including two to three major stops) when the train is on time which is mostly. Deutsche Bahn`s ICE or Inter-City Express is like the big brother of RER, but it is not a full TGV expense and technology train.

The trains will be packed when:
  1. the time to travel is less than car. One hour would half the trip. This would make London a one hour commute from Toronto.
  2. the cost can be steep. This run can cost from 50 to 150 Euros one-way depending on the time of day and year.
  3. the arrival on-time is more-or-less guaranteed.
  4. you don`t have to double-back to the airport from the west as you would if you were going (now) to at lest Mount Dennis/Weston/Bloor. Bring on the GTAA mobility hub.

IMG_20150331_154553.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150331_154553.jpg
    IMG_20150331_154553.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
But then you could say London has 3M and the credit unions and such. Lets give London a chance with some transit upgrades before writing him off.
I'm not writing it off, I'm just disputing the notion that "All that is separating Kitchener from London really is RIM shutting down." I'm just showing you that the tech sector in KW is more robust than that. London obviously has its own economic sectors as well.

I don't know what you base your assumption of 7-8 minutes avoidable travel time per skipped stop on, but I refer to a previous post, where I have made an exemplary calculation which suggests that the travel time saving associated with skipping certain stops would not exceed 3 minutes for conventional rail speeds, 3.5 minutes for Higher-Speed rail and 5 minutes for HSR:
ut-tkl-20140413-table-4-jpg.72560
Interesting, thanks for the work. My calculation was based off of looking at the current run time, and estimating 65 seconds per spot plus the time to stop and move the trains again. Also assumes GO transit is working to bring the route down below 90 min already. Mine calculation was much rougher then yours, but you know more here so I won't dispute this. In your opinon, how you you make HSR go faster?

I'm not writing it off, I'm just disputing the notion that "All that is separating Kitchener from London really is RIM shutting down." I'm just showing you that the tech sector in KW is more robust than that. London obviously has its own economic sectors as well.
Fair enough.
@denfromoakvillemilton, pardon me for intervening.

Of course it should. But with one proviso. Frankfurt Airport to Cologne is about 190km. (Frankfurt am Main Flughafen to Koeln HBF). London, ON to Toronto is about 200km. The train needs to run on an electrified ROW like the ICE trains run by Deutsche Bahn. The picture below was taken in March of 2015. (Sorry for the blur.) The trains run about 250 to 300 km/h on this run. This journey takes about 1 hour (including two to three major stops) when the train is on time which is mostly. Deutsche Bahn`s ICE or Inter-City Express is like the big brother of RER, but it is not a full TGV expense and technology train.

The trains will be packed when:
  1. the time to travel is less than car. The cost can be steep. This run can cost from 50 to 150 Euros one-way depending on the time of day and year.
  2. the arrival on-time is more-or-less guaranteed.
  3. you don`t have to double-back to the airport from the west as you would if you were going (now) to at lest Mount Dennis/Weston/Bloor. Bring on the GTAA mobility hub.

View attachment 94716
Very true. Agreed.

Some excellent posts!

Please correct me if wrong, but I believe it's safe to assume HSR is dead. If they can't even keep the fantasy fed, (the reality never was there to begin with), then it's not going to happen. Not to mention that if any cash is going to be thrown around, it has to benefit GO and VIA HFR.
Pardon the reverse order on some of these quotes:
Even if not HSR, there is a need for all-day 2-way electrified service of some sort to KW eventually,
"Eventually" is the key word. It's not going to happen anytime soon. KeithZ asked in a GO forum if (gist) "is there going to be any electrification before the next election"? I hesitated from answering, as I'm very cynical on events, and some other posters are much more believing in announcements. I don't fault their enthusiasm....but I just don't see it happening. When we see it started on the UPX/Bramalea stretch, I might change my mind. I honestly believe we'll see it as a result of VIA HFR before we do by way of Metrolinx, and even with VIA, only because it will be a newly built line with massive investment behind it.
Paul gave an excellent answer with fodder for more discussion, but it brings up a point conditional on whether the Northern Tier is upgraded further or not. VIA have already invested a bundle in signalling, and yet speeds haven't notably increased, for VIA or GO. One question I have is whether London would be better served by increased investment on the southern tier, and a second question is so cynical I hate myself for posing this: "Is it even worthwhile at all to throw any amount of money at trying to improve rail service to London?"

GO to K/W can definitely be improved, Paul addressed that well, save for the short stretch west of Guelph with "Slow Orders" on it. That has to be addressed for both VIA and GO, it's a huge time waster.

Let me throw this in the mix: If VIA does decide to consolidate operations on the southern tier, and GO assumes all passenger on the northern one, how much traffic is there between London and K/W to even make GO to London worthwhile? It's going to take a bundle of cash just to get service to K/W down to a reasonable time. The two hours + now is ridiculous. There has to be an arbitrary cut-off to GO's mandate, and K/W is it, at least for rail. Brantford has only just got bus service via GO. At some point, the mandate beyond those destinations becomes VIA's.

Paul discusses it:
Assuming GO proceeds with the Halton bypass and a fourth track on the Weston, all that's needed is a second track from Silver to Kitchener. That would be enough to give GO 15 minute electric RER to Mount Pleasant and frequent peak trains to Kitchener. West of Mount Pleasant, I would give VIA all the off- peak Kitchener-Toronto business, but an hourly VIA train with comingled RER is doable at some level of service.

It could all be GO, or it could be a GO/VIA joint use arrangement.
Special emphasis: "Assuming GO proceeds with the Halton bypass and a fourth track on the Weston" which changes everything. Yet another massive unknown, and the clock is ticking.
"an hourly VIA train with comingled RER is doable at some level of service." Absolutely agreed, even if one is 'express' and the other 'maximal speed local'.
This is crucial! This was a point I awkwardly made yesterday, as cutting stops ends-up defeating the purpose and ridership of a service in many (not all) cases. The largest factor of this being a problem or not for GO is in power to weight ratio of loco to coaches. There's no way in the world for the next generation that GO will need 10 coach trains on all day runs to K/W, which brings me back to three coach consists, both for off-peak runs to K/W, and for Bramalea (perhaps Mt Pleasant later) to Union (perhaps further east later) frequent service runs, *even before the great confabulator 'electification' can be used to stymie it*! It will be used to nix it, given the chance. Here's where flexibility comes in, because I know damn well electrification is nothing more than a theory at this point: Use the equipment that cascades down from the ongoing new acquisitions to run these 'secondary' services. 'Not as reliable'? Fine, one trainset breaks down, there's another in fifteen minutes or an hour, depending on which service. This isn't rush-hour, just inconvenience. Meantime when the great theory of the almighty second coming of electrification arrives (they had it on some lines a century ago) then the cascaded stock can finally be retired, or shifted further afield. Put the rationed monies into getting service up and running now (within a couple of years) not decades away.

Shorter consists will have more than enough seats, and accelerate/decelerate even with detuned for cleaner emissions F59s to meet the timings Urban itemizes. It isn't the number of stops that slows things down markedly, it's the power to weight ratio.

That problem with the co fare solely due to the city budget problems. Once that gets sorted out, it should improve.
Guelph has been cutting back bus service for the last six years! I know the present Mayor, jammed with him, great guy, but he's considerably to the right, and makes Tory's "no tax increases" look like the rabid braying of a communist. Guelph is more at odds with itself that Toronto core is with the suburbs. How in hell they think they can attract a larger industrial tax base when cutting bus service, God only knows. When the Guelph Mercury folded, one of Ontario's finest voices of municipal reason disappeared. Contrary to claims, btw (and I have this from the former Editor and staff) it was in the black and making money. Go figure. The future may not have been bright for print, but the Merc could have survived a lot longer. Without it, Guelph will eat its young. And is already. "Sprawl" is their new God.

Halton hills rejected a Brampton transit line. There has to be an incentive, otherwise Halton Hills will just be more sprawl. Compare them to Milton, who is doing better at building a livable community?
Trust me, I'm with you on this, but as that pertains to denying GO stopping with empty train coaches, you've lost me. The operating loss must be an investment in densifying nodes surrounding Toronto.
Even without Blackberry, the tech sector in Waterloo Region dwarfs that of London. OpenText alone is a $2.4 billion company. Also despite its decline, Blackberry isn't going anywhere.
K/W is not my kinda town, looked at it a number of times, along with Hamilton before deciding to return to Toronto, but Waterloo especially seems to be doing expansion in a reasoned and exciting way. More construction cranes in the sky per-capita than most any other city in Canada. Hamilton has its own charm, not least the magnificent setting and abundant cycle paths to escape on. Prices in Hamilton are now second only to Toronto for Ontario places most unaffordable. It's the third highest after Van now in Canada. Hamilton is unique, and not easily compared to K/W or London.

PS:
I don't think that's anyone's intention, it comes down to practicality. If there's already a barrier for people from K/W to face the time it takes the present GO train to get to Toronto (even slashed a half an hour) then how is all-day service to London going to sell? The best bet is to let VIA handle the challenge, not GO, bus express besides.

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks for the work. My calculation was based off of looking at the current run time, and estimating 65 seconds per spot plus the time to stop and move the trains again. Also assumes GO transit is working to bring the route down below 90 min already. Mine calculation was much rougher then yours, but you know more here so I won't dispute this. In your opinon, how you you make HSR go faster?
No worries, I don't expect people here to run travel time simulations and my modelling is based on a spreadsheet template I developed for my Master thesis (and is like everything I post here not related to my employment mentioned in my signature).

As for how to improve the travel time, I would rank the possible sub-strategies as follows (starting with the most cost-effective):
1) Designate certain (but not necessarily: most) trains as express trains with limited stops to increase average speed through less stops served.
2) Upgrade signalling system to increase average speed through increased line speeds.
3) Upgrade the tracks to increase average speed through increased line speeds.
4) Upgrade the level crossings to increase average speed through increased line speeds at level crossings.
5) Acquire new rolling stock to increase average speed through increased maximum speed and acceleration capabilities.
6) Acquire tilting-enabled rolling stock and upgrade infrastructure to enable tilting operations to increase average speed through increased speed limits in curves.
7) Re-align the railway line in curves to increase average speed through increased speed limits in curves.
8) Electrify the line to increase average speed through improved acceleration capabilities.
9) Build additional tracks and sidings to increase average speed through minimized conflicts between faster and slower trains.
10) Build a dedicated greenfield line to increase average speed through a shorter and straighter alignment.

In my humble opinion, we tend to neglect points 2-7 in this forum...

Back