News   Jul 16, 2024
 50     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 819     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 955     1 

High Speed Rail: London - Kitchener-Waterloo - Pearson Airport - Toronto

Any update on this project? Or is it buried so deep that it is unlikely we will hear anything about it for years?

I'm worried about it. The latest GO Electrification proposal only takes lines out to the airport, which means there's less chance for incremental speed and service increases. :(

I am not sure what I'll see first. Fusion energy, manned mission to Mars, or high speed rail in Ontario.

the last news out of it was the announcement of the leader of the project in October. While I think the cogs are turning on it, they are turning very, very slowly.

The new leader will be lucky if their business cards arrive in time for the next provincial election. The whole idea will come to life again as an election promise in 2018, and go back into silence right after the polls close.

- Paul

That consultation doesn't seem like much of an acomplishment, but maybe it's an honest very first baby step.

I' not sure what to think about this coming from MOT as opposed to Metrolinx.

- Paul

I didn't really believe in the 10 year timescales they were talking about. I think it's more of a 20-30 year timescale. Meaning shovels in the 2020s or 2030s (aka 2020-2039), and operational 2030s or 2040s (aka 2030-2049).

Supposedly the study will last a few years. Coincidentially, probably to time with the 2018 election.

But I feel it's coming...eventually. At least the London-Kitchener-Toronto leg. Post-revitalization Union and rapid transit being built in those cities, will do it in.

The elephant in the room is the Brampton rail ownership. Everything else is a much simpler megaproject.

I am not sure what I'll see first. Fusion energy, manned mission to Mars, or high speed rail in Ontario.
My bet is the following sequence:
- High speed rail completion (2030-2049)
- Mars mission (wishful: 2030, realistic: 2048)
- Commercialized fusion energy (wishful: now now now NOW, realistic: 2100)

Last edited:
In the most recent Board report they mentioned that bids are out for twinning the tunnel under the 401. That has implications for RER and UP, but it'd be necessary for HSR too.

But it's always just 20-30 years away. I can show you the HSR proposal brochure I have from ABB for the Sprinter (X2000) for Canada I got when I was 10.

But it's always just 20-30 years away. I can show you the HSR proposal brochure I have from ABB for the Sprinter (X2000) for Canada I got when I was 10.
That will go great with the color promotional brochures of the UAC TurboTrain! and the JetTrain brochure too.

What will do us in, is the continued growth of high speed train in other countries. Eventually demand could be so high (within 20-30 years) by our population (who increasingly try them out in other countries during their trips) -- that it becomes a more major election issue than today -- and all levels of governments are forced to begin building something in the most viable-possible corridors (e.g. either the Calgary-Edmonton, the London-Kitchener-Toronto, the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal corridor/triangle) where all the city destinations now by then have rapid transit to their respective intercity train stations.

At least until we're seeing common nuclear fusion stations (built by other countries) and common regular manned Mars missions (launched by other countries). There is a small measure of electorate Joneses effect already involved for HSR, and my projection is this effect will intensify over the next half-dozen electorate cycles.

Last edited:
- High speed rail completion (2030-2049)
- Mars mission (wishful: 2030, realistic: 2048)
- Commercialized fusion energy (wishful: now now now NOW, realistic: 2100)

- King William mails me the standard letter congratulating me on my hundredth birthday - 2054

Some of us can't wait forever ;-)

- Paul

It would be cute if in 2068 for the 100th anniversary of the Turbo, we finally got HSR again.

"We're back, after 100 years! And almost as fast as we were going in 1968."

:(

??? LRC operated at same speed that Turbo did. No change in run times when they switched from Turbo to LRC equipment. (and much improvement in the air quality in the coaches).

Back