News   Jul 19, 2024
 395     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 670     1 

High Speed Rail: London - Kitchener-Waterloo - Pearson Airport - Toronto

what actual plans point to that? the next decade of transit expansion is going to focus on the $15 billion in this springs budget, that sure as hell isn't going to any more LRTs in Toronto (well, the east bay front LRT, but still). When and where do you expect the magic money needed for these to come from? No politicians are talking about them. They aren't in Metrolinx's plans. Nobody seems interested in them who is capable of actually implementing them. Its nice to fantasize over extremely long term possible projects, but live in reality here and the projects you are discussing have little to no chance of occurring any time soon.

Who, What, When, Where, and most importantly, How?

what actual plans point to that? the next decade of transit expansion is going to focus on the $15 billion in this springs budget, that sure as hell isn't going to any more LRTs in Toronto (well, the east bay front LRT, but still). When and where do you expect the magic money needed for these to come from? No politicians are talking about them. They aren't in Metrolinx's plans. Nobody seems interested in them who is capable of actually implementing them. Its nice to fantasize over extremely long term possible projects, but live in reality here and the projects you are discussing have little to no chance of occurring any time soon.

Who, What, When, Where, and most importantly, How?

I'm not advocating for it to be built right now but the transit tools can't be used? Just saying.

I would like to raise a point that Eglinton and Finch Phase II may be particularly relevant here.

Eglinton Phase II will extend from Mt Dennis to the airport. Finch Phase II will go from Humber College to the airport.

What I think is a missed opportunity here is tying in Malton GO station. Furthermore, I would like to see how a discussion between Metrolinx, the GTAA and the CBSA would go about making the airport area such a major transfer hub.

To me, it would make much more sense to have both of these lines terminate at Malton GO, allowing for GO passengers to transfer to them. Also, and more importantly, instead of having to build new rights-of-way between Kitchener-Waterloo and the airport, you could just detrain at Malton, hop on the Crosstown, and get directly into terminal 1.

If you consider the costs for Finch and Eglinton LRTs to be set (already identified in the Big Move, and funding being allocated through dedicated revenue tools), what would the cost difference be between making necessary upgrades to the existing rail corridor from KW to Malton (also already slated to be electrified for GO service), reconfiguing the Eglinton+Finch LRTs, and making Malton a mobility hub instead of the airport?

You know I always thought about this plan and thought it would be an excellent solution for GO passengers to get access to the airport.

and only occurs every 5 years. next revision won't be until 2019.

so.... how about that High speed rail project? Anyone wondering if it will in fact go to Windsor? I don't see it being too expensive to do so, the ROW is already there is is essentially straight for the entire length.

and only occurs every 5 years. next revision won't be until 2019.

so.... how about that High speed rail project? Anyone wondering if it will in fact go to Windsor? I don't see it being too expensive to do so, the ROW is already there is is essentially straight for the entire length.
Will they make money bringing it to windsor? Will London-Windsor have a lot of traffic? That will answer the question. A Windsor-Ottawa project would gain much more support throughout the province.

I would like to see Ottawa & Montreal (Ottawa first), but that's just based on my personal travel patterns :).

Having said that it feels way to early to speculate on a 2nd phase. I'll be super happy just to see the 1st phase actually happen. Even though I know there's a Liberal majority, this thing seems very very early.

Back