News   Sep 10, 2024
 384     0 
News   Sep 10, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Sep 09, 2024
 1.5K     0 

High-paying work for Students (like waitressing) in Toronto?

soaringshrimp

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi there,

Being from Vancouver, I am considering moving to Toronto next winter for school, however, I am almost definitely going to need to get a part-time job to survive. I've been out of school for about two years now, and in between I've done mostly office admin type work, data-entry gigs, etc. I hear waitressing pays pretty well for students working at chain restaurants like White Spot or The Keg, so I'm wondering if it's the same in Toronto.

And aside from waitressing, I am looking for suggestions on what sort of work will pay the most for students in general (i.e. people with little to no qualifications).

The reason I've shied away from waitressing for so long despite hearing of all its benefits is because I got the sense that you had to endure a lot of bullcrap like flirting with the customer and generally putting up a false face of sincerity, and sometimes even having to put up with unsolicited sexual advances from unsavory men in order to make those all-important tips! I am female and I don't really have that much confidence in my looks and am not naturally super-outgoing, but I am ready to give it a try now.

I would guess that working at higher end restaurants would mean better tips, but what's required to work at those restaurants? WHERE are they located? Any specific places? Are there any special certificates I should get that may aid me in landing one of these jobs?

Thanks a lot in advance!

as a waitress, you are dealing with people... you will get guys that will flirt harmlessly, you will get shady men.. you will get really high demanding women... and you will get bad tippers..

It doesn't have to be waitressing, but any job that gives you that much social interaction with people, you will run into the same problems.

it's just a job, like any other job, there are ups and downs.

there is a reason they call it the 'service industry'. you're there to provide a service, and smiling and beeing friendly, even if you don't feel like it, is part of the job.

since you have previous experience you it may be easier for you to find apart-time job. i attended full-time college several years ago and with no previous experience and qualifications i could not find a job

The reason I've shied away from waitressing for so long despite hearing of all its benefits is because I got the sense that you had to endure a lot of bullcrap like flirting with the customer and generally putting up a false face of sincerity, and sometimes even having to put up with unsolicited sexual advances from unsavory men in order to make those all-important tips!

I can assure you, the majority of Toronto waitors/waitresses make no pretense of caring for or about their customers or their job. In fact, it seems to be a rule that you must make it obvious you would rather be anywhere else and couldn't care less about your customers. Your customers will complain bitterly about your attitude to each other, but will say how lovely you are to your face and, at most, drop your tip from 15% to 14% (they will calculate it). Maybe you should try getting a gig at a restaurant on Church Street. Gay guys love straight girls. Or try and get a bartending gig at a gay bar (while they still exist), to avoid the sexual advances.

Just avoid brunch services and you will be fine. Brunch folk are the most bitchy, stingy people imaginable.

Back