252     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Hidden/Unknown Toronto

S

Silver64

Do you know a Hidden or Unknown part of Toronto? Be it a landmark, park, nightclub, restaurant or an out of the way place within the city of Toronto?
What makes it interesting?
Any help would be appreciated.

Edward

Poor Edward, it's been five years and still nobody's bothered to answer your question, have they possum?

My favourite hidden place is the tight little stone spiral staircase in the Hart House great hall, though modesty forbids me to explain why. Let's just say it was the '80s and I was much younger ...

The cinema on the northeast corner of Spadina and Dundas.

I need to go in and see what is left of the old theatre. Was last there in the mid 70s when Larry Grossman was running for office and there was a rally there. It was quite derelict by then.

The southern, abandoned stretch of the CP rail line across the top of downtown is the greatest informal bike highway - as long as you know where the easy entrance and exit points are.

Just wonder around the major office towers in the financial district. You can find some very lavish public spaces. I was reminded of this during Nuit Blanche.

Richview Memorial Cemetery, near the intersection of highways 401 and 427 is bordered by only highway and Eglinton to the north. It's surrounded by the wide and fast moving highways, yet it dates back to 1853, when the train was an invention only a few decades old.

Richview Memorial Cemetery, near the intersection of highways 401 and 427 is bordered by only highway and Eglinton to the north. It's surrounded by the wide and fast moving highways, yet it dates back to 1853, when the train was an invention only a few decades old.

it's pretty freaky to imagine the change that took place from when the first people were buried there to today.

richview memorial cemetery at find a grave:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=1990241&CScn=richview&CScntry=10&

headstone from 1857..

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GScid=1990241&GRid=9907804&

imagine how this person would react if you could bring him back to life; fearful, joyful, sad, confused, uninformed, it's like the umami of emotions, msg for the human conscious. it would be so cool to wake up a few hundred years in the future.

I need to go in and see what is left of the old theatre. Was last there in the mid 70s when Larry Grossman was running for office and there was a rally there. It was quite derelict by then.

Check out the old theatre at Roncesvalles & Galley Ave. It's been closed for at least 30 years and has been used continuously as a convenience store but they only use the very front of the building. I'm pretty sure the rest of the theatre should be intact. I used to live above it when I was a kid.

Check out the old theatre at Roncesvalles & Galley Ave. It's been closed for at least 30 years and has been used continuously as a convenience store but they only use the very front of the building. I'm pretty sure the rest of the theatre should be intact. I used to live above it when I was a kid.

I think it was called the Brighton theatre. It played movies before video tapes and DVD's came on the scene. The films were second runs, that is after playing at the first run theatres, they would play there. The Parkdale theatre on Queen Street West and Thriller Avenue (east of Roncesvalles) was a first run theatre for the Famous Players chain.

^ Thanks W.K. I had forgotten the name. I still have a lot of bad memories. Whenever I'd see a scary movie in there I'd have to listen to the soundtrack every night when I tried to fall asleep. Torture. The worst was "Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte" with Bette Davis.

Toronto's Treasure Triangle

One of the oldest parts of the city, this portion of lakeshore shore east is deserted and looks rather wild.

This is one of Canada's oldest and largest city dumps.
Today there are still hidden pockets of antique bottles being uncovered here.

Actually, IIRC it isn't just the front--the store *is* the theatre, sloping floor and all, surprisingly intact...

Back