News   May 03, 2024
 656     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 305     0 

Help me configure my sleeping area...

Coltaine79

Member Bio
Reaction score
I hope someone can help me configure my sleeping area, which is the second floor of my loft. I am attaching 2 draft floorplans from floorplanner below - they are missing a few things, like the kitchen (which is to the right of the dining table on the first diagram - the right-side room border might as well be the breakfast bar) and the WIC/bathroom/laundry closet (which is to the right of the sleeping area on the second diagram), but I think you will get the point.

The problem with the sleeping area is I want to fit a Double Bed and a decent computer table in it. I've already managed to fit a typical bed and a small computer desk in there, but not much more. It seems like even if I add a bookcase to the second floor, I'll make it too cramped for my comfort. Any comments welcome. I guess I can live with current setup, as per the diagrams but I am looking for optimal ways to fit even more "stuff". :)

First diagram - first floor (living room, dining room, kitchen & powder room (not shown))

Second diagram - second floor (sleeping area, WIC, full bathroom, laundry closet)

First Floor - I'm not sure if you have enough space at the base of the stairs. Also, you have dead space in the bottom left corner. You may want to consider wall mounting the tv (assuming it's a flat screen) in this corner with your a/v components underneath. This would free up space by the stairs for some art and provide better access to the stairs. I also think the way you have the dining table oriented takes up too much space. Have you tried turning it 90 degrees?

Second floor - Is there a window in this room?

First Floor - I'm not sure if you have enough space at the base of the stairs. Also, you have dead space in the bottom left corner. You may want to consider wall mounting the tv (assuming it's a flat screen) in this corner with your a/v components underneath. This would free up space by the stairs for some art and provide better access to the stairs.

Actually in the bottom left corner - the thing which is 2'11" long - that's where the HVAC vent is! At the bottom is the air grille thingy (you know typical condo stuff) and at eye-level they've installed the thermostat. I'm pretty sure that wall is off bounds for anything heavy like a 46" LCD TV.

I also think the way you have the dining table oriented takes up too much space. Have you tried turning it 90 degrees?

The dining table in my diagram is for illustration mostly. Chances are i'll either get a small square shaped or circular mini-dinette table. Which will take up less space than the current one in the picture.

Second floor - Is there a window in this room?

This unit is a loft... the second floor overlooks the living room. The living room has a 10 foot window "on top" of the balcony. Here are 2 pics from another unit in my building which will give you a better idea of how it looks. This guy has a Queen bed in his, which may be why he has no desk of any sort in his bedroom.

http://www.torontomls.net/MLSMULTIPHOTOS/FULL/5/489/C1832489_5.jpg

http://www.torontomls.net/MLSMULTIPHOTOS/FULL/3/489/C1832489_3.jpg

ditto what catapult said about turning the dining room table 90 degrees and consider using a bench or backless loveseat as dual purpose seating for LR and DR so the area won't be filled with so much furniture.

regarding the 2nd floor ... are your bedroom dimensions more like 10'3" x 8'0"?
where is the WIC, full bathroom, laundry closet; and where is the window?

what other stuff are you considering, and do you have a preference as to where the desk is place?

ditto what catapult said about turning the dining room table 90 degrees and consider using a bench or backless loveseat as dual purpose seating for LR and DR so the area won't be filled with so much furniture.

ooh, nice idea! I'll consider that.
yes, i can see why "crowding" the room with too much furniture can be bad.

regarding the 2nd floor ... are your bedroom dimensions more like 10'3" x 8'0"?
where is the WIC, full bathroom, laundry closet; and where is the window?

what other stuff are you considering, and do you have a preference as to where the desk is place?

yeah the rectangular space on the second floor is about 10'3 x 8'4.
The walk in closet is "straight ahead" from where the stairs top landing is.
i made some rough and tumble annotations to my original floorplan which should give you a better idea.

As I mentioned above, there's a 10 foot tall window "above" the balcony. That window provides light to the whole condo, especially the second floor.

I'd like to add a small printer table, or maybe a media stand where I can put my stereo (receiver, CD changer). Or maybe a versatile enough bookshelf which can handle all those plus all of my books.
Not sure where I would put it though.

Last edited:
Having an idea of what your needs are, I think you could possibly consider placing your books, stereo, etc. on a wall unit above your desk or above the headboard of your bed. Often we think of floor space in determining where to place things, but you have wall space that you can take advantage of as well.

You've got too much junk in each room. I try to have just one piece of furniture in each of my rooms, one lighting fixture and one piece of art (or plants.) ipad solves your computer and book space problems--just keep it in a drawer under your murphy bed. (Yeah right, I'd sleep beside it.:)) There's no need for books unless they're rare or of family value--or can become the furniture--I designed a coffee table using my vintage magazines.

In your bedroom: large bed+funky lamp+art that all doubles as storage space.

In your living room: sofa with built in cup holders/storage+sculptural lamp+art that doubles as a table (hangs on hooks from the wall.) Remember you can have one feature wall painted, textured, or papered to serve as a focal point--cheap cheerful and space saving.

In your dining room: one piece table with bench that slides under (on wheels)+plant mounted in giant vase/storage+hanging lamp.

edit: So you need to buy a clear glass (or contrast funky colour) shelf on rollers to put your stereo etc ("sculptures") on and place against 10' window==you "slide" the shelf like a balcony door at your pleasure.

Last edited:

Back