News   Jul 26, 2024
 594     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 504     1 

Help locating this Toronto location of the past

CliffColeclough

Member Bio
Reaction score
I am not sure if these still exist. They are from an old TV show, dated around 1974. Obviously they are somewhere on Toronto's waterfront. Perhaps Cherry Beach. Curious to know if they are still around. Anyone have any idea what they were/are - lighthouse? windmill? Any info would be appreciated.

light1.BMP

light2.BMP

To me it looks like it's on the site of what is now the defunct Toronto International Marine Terminal, also known as the set of CBC's 'The Border'. They're no longer there.. and I'm guessing they were light houses.. that's the south west extreme of the portlands.

That's the 32 foot steel-framed lighthouse, built in 1895, that stood at the end of the east pier of the Eastern Gap, and was removed in April 1973 when they renovated the entrance to the Harbour. It was taken to the Cherry Street container terminal and stored for restoration, as was the smaller one which marked the inner end of the same pier. The plan was to relocate them at the end of the Leslie Street Spit headland but as I no longer hang out in seedy docklands I wouldn't know if that was done.

Back