News   May 03, 2024
 169     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 907     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 257     0 

Heintzman Place (formerly Village By High Park, Junction, Options, 23s, Burka)

Damn straight. Vancouver is no better at providing public art than Toronto. Heck, their public art development tax came after Toronto. The East Van sign and others which aren't just loaners are simply part of the Olympic legacy. Samaranch!!

I like to make comparisons to Vancouver, which annoys the locals here.;) Vancouver is great at providing funky public art details--have you seen the huge new "East Van" sign? What I'm saying is wouldn't it be cool if at the top of these buildings a gigantic neon sign lit up saying "the junction?"

At the top of High Park Avenue is a recently-reclad storefront on Dundas which still has a big metal sign support up top--maybe that's where, facing down High Park Avenue...

^Yeah that reclad looks appalling. I was chatting with the owner a few weeks ago, and for 4000 SF he wants $4000 rent--tough to get on that strip, imho.

26 March 2010 update:

dsc01615q.jpg

Looks great poking above the trees from Medland Crescent as well:

dsc01595k.jpg

I'd love to see the gas station go, it looks so out of place there. Pity it wasn't included in this development.

The Options for Homes site is 11,781 square metres versus 1,365 for Giraffe. You just have to compare those figures to begin to understand what the big fuss was about. Density for Giraffe was easily 4 times Options for Homes and 3 times the Crossways. The Giraffe needed to find a much larger savannah!

Canadian Tire would not sell the property unless it got a long lease on the gas station, so we will be stuck with it for a long time.

I'd like to see the Canadian Tire station go as well, along with the cheap three storey retail/residential block right beside it. It's the one with the parking in front, and it just doesn't fit in.

The problem with the Canadian Tire gas station is that the land will likely be very contaminated, which will make it quite difficult to convert it to residential land use.

Back